The Thread about Nothing....

That is amazing. All of it. I mean you know I've had the horn for your life for ages, but now I'm realizing you probably climbed Hautacam faster than Mr 60%, and you've never shaved your legs, and you probably had a backpack full of placcy when you did it.
Cnut.

Reactions: EoinC2
It is just me, or is it hot? It's going on 10pm and it's 28*. Maybe it's my current diet of Diazepam, Naproxyn and cheap red wine, or not, but I'm definitely sweaty? And chatty. Like truth serum chatty. I'm trying to figure out if that's a good thing when I take on 18 1st year apprentices for the 1st time 7.30am monday?
I'm not sure I'm a natural born leader. I'm willing to take advice as to how to keep the muppets engaged and slightly less than, um... awful.
So much for Valium being mother's little helper and reducing anxiety. Although 2mg once or twice a day is not a lot, not even for it's supposed muscle relaxant qualities.

Last edited:
Moar PNG...
B015 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

B006 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

B003 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

A001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

A002 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

A020 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

A019 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

A018 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

A017 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

A015 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

B017 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

B013 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

B012 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

E001 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

A008 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

So what's the deer population like in NZ now?

I saw some in the Grampians NP when I was there just before Christmas and we have all over the Hunter Valley now. They're all over the south eastern and eastern seaboard and predicted to spread all over the continent (https://invasives.org.au/blog/australia-occupy-feral-deer/).

Goats are everywhere. Camels. Buffalo up north. Cats, Dogs, Hogs. Squillions of bird species. I guess at some point one has to call them native species... they're not going to go away.

So what's the deer population like in NZ now?

I saw some in the Grampians NP when I was there just before Christmas and we have all over the Hunter Valley now. They're all over the south eastern and eastern seaboard and predicted to spread all over the continent (https://invasives.org.au/blog/australia-occupy-feral-deer/).

Goats are everywhere. Camels. Buffalo up north. Cats, Dogs, Hogs. Squillions of bird species. I guess at some point one has to call them native species... they're not going to go away.
I don’t know much about it. I hunted when I was young, but turned vegematarian when I was 14. The big herds are gone and there would be very little, if any, live capture these days. I know that there are now 7-day ballots for hunting in some areas of Fiordland etc.
From years of working in the Pilbara, Kimberly, and desert regions of WA, I always found it a little strange that Aus put so much effort into culling native species, such as ‘roos and dingos, in order to allow 2,000 head of cattle to sort of survive on a 1.2 million acre station.

...I'm willing to take advice as to how to keep the muppets engaged and slightly less than, um... awful...
My 2c...
I heard today that, in order to attract and maintain interest, you need to do at least 1 of the following:
1) Educate (a bit of a given in an apprenticeship)
2) Entertain
3) Inspire
Beepers - You manage to do all 3 for us, so just need to translate that to the general muppetry. As I think (1) will happen anyway, my suggestion is to focus on (2), which will lead to (3), and allow (1) to happen.
I have a leadership workshop with our younger managers this week, and part of my efforts at engaging them is to tell them about some of the stupid shite I’ve done, and when I’ve got things totally wrong (if nothing else, it makes for plenty of material to work with).
If you can entertain them, you’ll get their attention, and then you can inspire and educate at will. If they don’t get your natural ability at telling a story, they are truly muppets without salvation.

Reactions: bbp
That is amazing. All of it. I mean you know I've had the horn for your life for ages, but now I'm realizing you probably climbed Hautacam faster than Mr 60%, and you've never shaved your legs, and you probably had a backpack full of placcy when you did it.
Cnut.
I have shaved my legs, and my climbing skilz on the bike require that I move left to allow grannies with Zimmerman frames to pass. The only one I can man up to is the backpack with placcy in jungle settings.

My 2c...
I heard today that, in order to attract and maintain interest, you need to do at least 1 of the following:
1) Educate (a bit of a given in an apprenticeship)
2) Entertain
3) Inspire
Beepers - You manage to do all 3 for us, so just need to translate that to the general muppetry. As I think (1) will happen anyway, my suggestion is to focus on (2), which will lead to (3), and allow (1) to happen.
I have a leadership workshop with our younger managers this week, and part of my efforts at engaging them is to tell them about some of the stupid shite I’ve done, and when I’ve got things totally wrong (if nothing else, it makes for plenty of material to work with).
If you can entertain them, you’ll get their attention, and then you can inspire and educate at will. If they don’t get your natural ability at telling a story, they are truly muppets without salvation.
Yeah close enough. :)
Nah the key was planning. Thinking about how last year's class of second years got out of hand, as did my opinion of teaching, and not wanting to repeat it.
But I did start by the book this morning, strict, these are rules and at least a few hours on WHS, SWMSs, JSAs. Let's not burn each other with our oxy torches please.
And then despite friday's onsite planning, going hands on in the workshop was ****ing hysterical. This is NOT how to use a pillar drill. There were some funny moments as we found completely burnt through acetylene hoses whilst going through our startup SOPs. I think we've all got stories to tell now. Only three hand grenade oxy sets as it turned out. And noone died.
Take that NZ.

Yeah close enough. :)
Nah the key was planning. Thinking about how last year's class of second years got out of hand, as did my opinion of teaching, and not wanting to repeat it.
But I did start by the book this morning, strict, these are rules and at least a few hours on WHS, SWMSs, JSAs. Let's not burn each other with our oxy torches please.
And then despite friday's onsite planning, going hands on in the workshop was ****ing hysterical. This is NOT how to use a pillar drill. There were some funny moments as we found completely burnt through acetylene hoses whilst going through our startup SOPs. I think we've all got stories to tell now. Only three hand grenade oxy sets as it turned out. And noone died.
Take that NZ.
Every day’s an adventure...

I wanna know what Djokovich had before the 4th set last night?
Whatever it was I reckon it'd fix my back instantly.
I mean why should poor people suffer incessantly for months without respite while these rich bastards earn millions?
I'm gonna ask Dr Mohammed on wednesday.

And yeah thy bought their blue Water Supply books today, most of them anyway, and Chapter 1 is all about the properties of water. Next week I'm gonna fully embrace the potential science nerds to hopefully keep ****sticks at bay.
I was pleasantly surprised to find the last student alone and just ask so how was I?
Well a bit stricter than Dave last year but it was ok?
Paraphrased but essentially true.
I smiled. Outwardly and inwardly. stupidly admitted last years 2nd years took the **** and I wanted to start this year better; whilst knowing they've even got a facebook group or somesuch groupchat amongst themselves too, because even the late arrivals magically knew which room we were in, and also because I heard them talking about it, and that's good too. Let's all have a nice and productive year, please, young gentlemen.
I giggled at the end, making sure all was in order, magical oxy sets and hoses from last years students and all, when I realised my pencilcase is likely twice as old as my youngest student.

Last edited: