The Thread about Nothing....

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Hitchy, Jul 28, 2006.

1. cheetahmk7

cheetahmk7 Well-Known Member

That's not the race report that I was expecting! Devo'd would have to be an understatement.

steve likes this.

2. classic1

classic1 Well-Known Member

3. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

paulambry likes this.
  4. cheetahmk7

5. paulambry

paulambry Well-Known Member

Damn and blast Steve. All that preparation.... bugger!

steve likes this.
  6. paulambry

Went to the Red Hot Summer gig in the Hunter Valley on the weekend. 12,000 super enthusiastic fans (average age 55; average weight 120kgs) and 8 hours of great Ozzie rock: Boom Crash Opera, Living End, Angels, Baby Animals, James Reyne (still sings in Dutch) and Hunters and Collectors (the headline act, which is when we left). A great day out.

EoinC2 likes this.
  7. paulambry

I know. Hold me back!

I know you loath the Hunters Classo... I only like two of their songs, and Mark Seymour was always a pretty marginal singer.... and he hasn’t improved with time. All the others were in fine fettle... Suze DeMarchi is as good as ever; Dave Gleeson (Screaming Jets) is an awesome front man for the Angels.

I am ashamed to admit I didn’t know the Living End. What a revelation. Awesome post punk with a rockabilly twist. Virtuosos on their instruments. SO impressed.

EoinC2 likes this.
  8. classic1

That’s a pretty good line up. Loath is probably too strong about my views on HAC. Massively indifferent probably sums it up.

James Reyne is waaaaay better if he sings straight rather than in that retarded incomprehensible stuccato style he uses.

EoinC2 likes this.
  9. classic1

My favourite is playing in the valley soon. I can’t wait. Fuck me. All the formerly biggish artists in the world they could have engaged and the picked this dud

10. matagi

matagi Well-Known Member

Living End are a great band - first heard them live at Big Day Out in 2003. That was the same year they had Foo Fighters and Kraftwerk. Happiness!

paulambry likes this.
  11. paulambry

Yeah, he can hold a tune really well. And his songs are great. I put him in the Bob Dylan camp... should never be allowed to sing his own songs.

I forgot one of the bands - Killing Heidi. Ella Hooper was in top form... she really gives her all. Shame they mixed her voice so poorly. Could barely hear her.

12. cheetahmk7

This is the current number 1 song in our household.

bbp and EoinC2 like this.
  13. Wilchemy

Wilchemy Well-Known Member

Good retro line up there, Paul.
    I used to see The Living End at the Tote here in Melbourne way back when they only pulled a few punters to a gig. Always gave a great high energy show.
    Chris Cheney is probably one of the best rockabilly guitarists around. And I have guitar envy for his Gretsch :D

paulambry likes this.
  14. bbp

bbp Well-Known Member

So much postage, so good, so much to say, I'll start with Gretsch envy. I've got it too, they're just perfect. I had a good earning year ages ago and bought myself a Sierra jumbo semiacoustic reissue for my birthday with a desire to get my fat fingers to learn a new instrument properly, sadly a week before I burnt my hands, never have learnt to play it, but guitar players who stop by and have a go assure me it's lovely. Another mate spent rather large money for a Country Gentleman recently, and it's even better.
    I used to do the plumbing for a Kiwi bloke I can't name because I signed a confidentiality agreement, but he was a Gretsch fan too. I remember being stunned entering his office and seeing 30 odd proper original amazing Gretsch's hanging on the walls, along with the Rabbitoh's shite and the whiteboard with obscene numbers for earnings for the year. Woops.
    Um yeah Gretsch's. Lovely guitars. Old Gold top Les Paul's are my only other true fave. OK and the Red Special, OK and a Rickenbacker or two, and...
    Ambry, actually any and all of you, don't mind the personal bit, he's just local, and keeps threatening to, but hasn't; if you're ever in Sydney come over and play my Gretsch.
    That wasn't meant to sound dirty btw. We could just go out for a beer. Or even just dinner if you're a wowser.

#78514 bbp, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    EoinC2 and Wilchemy like this.
  15. bbp

bbp Well-Known Member

Alright condolences Steve.
    I've got a Nair story or two too. Ahno just the one, that was more than enough. And yes nuts not legs. Never again. Shame you never asked.
    I do have many depilation stories though. Shame you never asked.
    It all started when I was about sixteen, I was properly cycling obsessed, reading my Brit Cycling Weeklys 6 weeks late, I think I'd moved on up to the secondhand grey on metallic grey Repco Superlite with 105 by that stage, Tange Infinity baby, still got that one, it's my usused Biopace fixie now, bottom brackets too low for that, but I was doing decent kms. Working parttime at a hardware store and next door were two hot chicks running a beauty parlour. $25 for a leg wax. Cheapskate me offered offered 20 for a 3/4 leg wax. Much fun was had, for masochist and sadists alike, and at least the nuts were safe for a beginner, but despite it being fine in knicks, shorts back in the day were shorts, and two thirds of a waxed thigh was probably a poor choice.
    I probably only shaved my legs once back then, and Christ didn't the ingrowns, and the cool changes cause pain. Although entering the ocean was bliss.
    And then there were the party years, yes the episode with Nair and then letting a girlfriend try to wax my privates, just a couple of stripes and me freckle's bleeding so we stopped there, bit awkward explaining that on a country naturalist summer holiday. A good little snick out of the scrote with a pair of scissors. Even clippers, a No.1. Just no.
    I decided I was supposed to be hairy and uncompetitive. You're welcome.

#78515 bbp, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    EoinC2, steve and classic1 like this.
  16. Wilchemy

Wilchemy Well-Known Member

I'm lucky that my brother has a Gretsch Brian Setzer signature edition (can't recall which model) that I get to have a noodle on occasionally. Such a nice guitar to play.

And I tried waxing a few times many years ago - full leg right up to speedo outline when I decided to do a few triathlons. Mrs Wilchemy assisted once but spent so much time falling about laughing at my agony I decided it was best left to professionals. But I decided that swimming sucked anyway & triathletes are spud bike riders so stopped that foolishness and reverted to shaving to bike knick length and just riding.

EoinC2 and classic1 like this.
  17. matagi

matagi Well-Known Member

Let me go on record as never having had my legs waxed. Shaved them heaps (and still do).

EoinC2 likes this.
  18. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

It's not wasted mate.....but yeah f__k what a waste

EoinC2 likes this.
  19. paulambry

Geez... no idea who that could be.

They look so humungous they intimidate me. But the sound.... suh-weeeeet.

You know I'd love to. But I'm an old man now. Going out on a school night with a ninety-minute commute home aftwards is too much for me. God knows I need as much beauty sleep as possible.

Veet has always been my remover of choice. Never had an issue. Unlike shaving or waxing - so many ingrown hairs afterwards.

EoinC2 likes this.
  20. paulambry

Funny and music.. puts me in mind of the awesome jazz Max Geldray used to play during The Goon Show. We'd all lob off to church on Sunday morning, then come home and listen to the Show over a roast lunch. Oh, my mum's roasts were the best. God rest her soul.

EoinC2 likes this.