The Thread about Nothing....

I like this video too,
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://youtu.be/hOA6WrarZEQ

because it reminds me of my childhood on the Murray, my family were paupers but we were in a congregation with people who were not all such. So houseboating holidays were versatile, and the logging Johos had fast boats, 350/351ci things or wilder that looked similar but had propellers. I remember it was important they had metallic flake paint?
But dad would drag me away from that to spend tranquil hours fishing in a dinghy. Apparently I once got so bored of fishing that I just jumped over the side and sank. Scuffy?
Those revheads also took me gokarting with the F1 teams when they came to Adelaide and I was hooked.

I too had some exposure to fast boats in that era. We used to live at Swan Hill and got involved with the ski racing crowd out at Lake Boga. We raced for 6 or 7 years and went to all of the National Titles. They were a fun time going to places like Perth, Barmera, Sommerset Dam, Wyangal Dam each Summer. I started out quite well picking up three State Titles in a row, but unlike my opponents, I failed to hit puberty until Year 11. A few of my peers ended up with some nasty injuries such as nerve damage to their shoulder that meant they lost the use of their arm, so I'm glad that I left the sport when I did. Interestingly there are quite a few ski racers that ended up road cycling.

The black boat in this video was the one that I skied behind. By this stage it had a 510 ci BBC that put out 1200 hp.

Reactions: EoinC2
It would happen to someone every few years. They started using arm straps after that.

Deaths are now pretty common. They seem to happen most years.

We had a member of the boat club at Lake Boga die when I was a child. The steering cable on his outboard broke and the driver didn’t have his helmet and jacket on. He bashed his head and slowly bled to death with the boat idling around in circles whilst everyone was at the boat club’s presentation night which was being held at the driver’s motel. We were sharing the table with his kids and I recall when the children were pulled aside to be told the news. It was horrible.

Pork crackling is notorious for destroying fillings - I have two crowns courtesy of pork crackling

Even after my upbringing I still liked fast boats, and ended up involved with Grafton Bridge to Bridge teams. I was good at reversing boat trailers. One of my best mates at the time was facing backwards looking at the skiers and got knocked unconscious by a seagull in the back of his helmet at a very high speed. Can't remember how high and no point conjecturing, definitely 100kmh but maybe much much, as in 60% higher, maybe even in mph, can't remember, but yeah those things were FAST. Blood and guts and unconscious blokes and ****ing feathers everywhere.

I only ever recall mph being used to describe speed. I recall a friend of mine had a pretty nasty fall and was taken to the hospital. At the hospital, the doctor asked her how fast she was going and she said 100 mph. ''You mean 100 km/h'' said the doctor, ''No 100 mph'' said my friend. This conversation repeated itself a few times, so the doctor made the incorrect assumption that my friend was experiencing a concussion.

classic, if I recall you are partial to some Black Crowes...dunno if you have seen this yet?

Thanks Wilchemy, I had seen that one. Chris can still belt it out. The greedy pair of cnuts really only got back together for money and from what I’ve read the tour is doing ****, struggling to even half fill the venues, and that was pre Coronavirus.

You need to check this one out.

And this one. Can’t even begin to say how good they were in this. Just watch the first song if you can’t be arsed watching the whole thing. There is more rock and roll in the first four minutes than the world has experienced in the last twenty years.

There was my first Covid Facetime gig too. With my favourite ever bass player, and his partner.
And yeah I'm a Teams player now.
Actually I think I might just like the new online world better than the real one. Sometimes.

Reactions: EoinC2