The Thread about Nothing....

If only. Students passed around pictures tonight of some poor ****s no longer a face, who'd been chewed by a big ****ing American 'black'? or possibly not white bear? I was astounded that a human head, however chewed and mangled, could have such obvious cavities?
And he lived. Amazing.
Matagi?
Is that the one where his face was basically hanging off? Sweden? What do you mean by obvious cavities? There are the eye sockets and the nasal cavity and the external acoustic meatus. Then there is the gap (not a labelled cavity) formed between the mandible, the temporal bone and zygomatic arch.

Those are the obvious big ones but there are a bunch of smaller holes that nerves, etc pass through.

...Those are the obvious big ones but there are a bunch of smaller holes that nerves, etc pass through.
I have a gap that runs from one ear to the other (first diagnosed by my Mum). When I stand on viewing platforms at scenic sites, or on skyscrapers, tourists keep feeding me coins and swivelling my head to look ear-to-ear at the vista.
It can be annoying, but does bring in some extra roubles.

Reactions: paulambry
I have a gap that runs from one ear to the other (first diagnosed by my Mum). When I stand on viewing platforms at scenic sites, or on skyscrapers, tourists keep feeding me coins and swivelling my head to look ear-to-ear at the vista.
It can be annoying, but does bring in some extra roubles.
That reminds me of when I had to look in one of my nephews' ears or some reason and went "Oh! I can see the <whatever item> so he put his hand on his other ear and without missing a beat I went "Oh! It's all gone dark" :p

Is that the one where his face was basically hanging off? Sweden? What do you mean by obvious cavities? There are the eye sockets and the nasal cavity and the external acoustic meatus. Then there is the gap (not a labelled cavity) formed between the mandible, the temporal bone and zygomatic arch.

Those are the obvious big ones but there are a bunch of smaller holes that nerves, etc pass through.
This guy's in Alaska. The story. No pics
https://www.adn.com/features/articl...who-lost-face-grizzly-bear-attack/2012/09/14/
The photos, you have been warned. NSFW
https://americanshootingjournal.com/man-survives-bear-attack-but-loses-face/

Ol’ Yogi didn’t **** around. I reckon a shotgun would have done a neater job to the dudes face.

Ah yes, saw those elsewhere but for some reason thought he was in Sweden.
Yeah there was another Bear mauled American, southern states, that had been treated at a Swedish clinic in America. Dunno.
But yeah, I'd imagine all of those head cavities you'd mentioned were exposed? I think it was the realisation that when your jaws are missing your mouth is a big hole, usually hidden by skin and the suddenly visible muscles underneath; and your nose feeds quite a large central hole too.
Hmm. Prolly not NSFW for you. That ****'s your bread and butter.

Been in hospital again with diverticulitis. It sucked. No ruptured bowel this time luckily. Drove in very late Thursday, three hours waiting to get into casualty, got out early arvo today. It also sucked that the very hot casualty Dr stuck her finger up my **** and didn’t send me flowers the next day. Maybe we are married now? She had my ring on her finger.

Who’d want to be a dr or nurse? Geez the nurses were having to put up with some ****. Lucky for them they had me as entertainment. Respect, and that goes for you too Ma.

Reactions: EoinC2
Likewise Classo.
Did you give the psyllium husk (ie finely ground fibre) a go daily for a while? It's been a pretty special solution to my gut issues in the last couple of years. That and milk kefir. I'm not good with bothering daily myself, but if I go a week without either or both I definitely start to suffer. A good smoothie with both and I'm better within hours.If kefir's too hippy, then eat a kilo of AB+C yoghurt every week.
I love getting old.

Alcohol definitely knocks gut chemistry out of whack. If you've got a hangover, do yourself a favour and add finely ground fibre and prebiotics. Greek yoghurt or kefir or similar.
Says the bloke who's five pints in at 730pm on a monday.
Monday and thursdays are my heavy drinking days now. They're also the days I do 8hrs teaching apprentices. There's a nonanomalous statistical truth there. I'm roughly 3 nights drinking 4 nights off the booze each week, but sometimes 4 and 3. Whatever. Guess which ones the TAN posts correspond to?

I don't know how many of you are drinkers/drunks but hasn't Covid lockdown made me realise how much I actually do drink? There were no evenings at the pub where I didn't want to remember how many pints I'd had, and my recycling bin told my truth every week. And it was sobering. Or not really. Just a little bit embarrassing hearing my bins make more noise for longer than average as they get emptied into the garbo truck at 6am on thursdays?

I might even give Dry July a go. I've certainly not gone a month without alcohol since I was a teenager. And 2 of the most intense teaching and marking weeks I've ever experienced are coming up to finish June off. Hmm, I'll continue using my crutch in June, but may actually attempt to start the school holidays without alcohol and see how many days I can go. That'd be interesting. Smart/stupid?

I stopped drinking in 2008, when I was doing a 14+hr/day job, 7 day per week in PNG, and doing a degree at the same time, and drinking - 1 had to stop.
After I finished that contract, and the degree, I started drinking again in Ethiopia (beer was cheaper than water - that’s my excuse) for a few weeks, but then stopped again, and haven’t restarted.

The trade-off is that I’m a boring fart, and my jokes aren’t funny - One daughter even told me I used to be much more fun when I drank...

Not drinking is almost illegal in my industry, so I have to be careful nobody busts me.

Reactions: bbp
I've been a bit slack on the psyllium beepers. I have it there but haven't been eating it. Will start putting a bit on cereal again. Greek yoghurt, have it almost daily on brekky.

I'll have to wait a week or so though, bland low fibre food in small quantities after a big attack like that until the bowel infection clears and its not irritated. Had boiled eggs for breakfast, no lunch, chicken and homemade fried rice tonight. Probably could have skipped the Chinese sausage it it but **** it, the rest was OK. Also made a big batch of real chicken stock tonight.

Neighbours were good, they gave me home made pumpkin soup last night when I picked up my mail. I'm spending time with mum and dad tomorrow and Wednesday. They eat pretty bland but healthy so will be OK.