The Thread about Nothing....

Have a look at the gear. Dude in black has Weinman delta centrepulls by the look of it, the Carnegie dude Campagnolo Deltas. He must have been a rich ****. The tall bloke in Bendigo colours, Drummo, is on Campag Chrous monoplaner brakes, and the bloke in the Belgian champ colours is still riding exposed cables. You’d still see them occasionally in the pros, even in 89. The previous year I had they ghey white modolos me and Nev bang on about occasionally.

The bloke in the red always had classy gear. Dura ace, mavic cranks. I can remember because the pain in the **** stayed with me in a hotel in Wodonga and was changing them at 10.30pm the night before a vic crit title. He also had class cars. Had a Ford Sierra Cosworth, and some other hot car, can’t remember what, VW scirocco maybe.

I was on shimano ultegra single pivot brakes, but probably had Stronglight/Galli cranks and Campagnolo Nuovo Record gears with simplex retro friction levers. Dunno what wheels, probably 32 spoke Campagnolo hubs with FIR rims and Vitoria CX or Continental tyres, I think they were called Competition GP. I doubt dad would have let me use the 28s that day.

In which I lose my favourite tripod through being a numpty, and discover that, if one cuts one’s own hair without the aid of duelling mirrors, one stands a fair chance of ending up with an unintentional stupid tribute to a rat-tail at the back, of which one remains blissfully unaware...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=olwVZo3K_v0
Thanks for posting that Eoin. I loved the boats.. especially the fact they do it all without plans.

Shame about your tripod. That is so vexing! I did the same thing when I rode to Central Australia. I was cruising on about 160/180 and realized about 100k out of Coober Pedy I couldn't see my guitar in the mirror. I didn't have it strapped on over tight, for fear of bending the neck, so I assumed it must have blown off. I turned around and rode back in the hope I could find it. After about 10k, I had another thought... maybe it was still on my bike. Sure enough, it had been blown down the side of my panniers and under the exhaust. The result:

ZWYHGR8.jpg

The guitar itself didn't look too bad, but I couldn't tune it. So, because it was an emergency (couldn't travel alone without something to strum) I had to buy a new travel guitar in Alice Springs. They have a lovely little music shop in Alice, and I ended up with a rather upgraded guitar. Noice.

By the way, when I rode to Uluru, I was blown away by Mount Connor... I reckon it's as awe-inspiring as Uluru. They're both crazy weird formations... they way they just pop up out from a vast expanse of flat earth.

xFDM7Wd.jpg

W02R4yQ.jpg

Reactions: EoinC2
A couple of pics I stumbled across in my archive. Jono with the afterburner on; A Grade crit at Glendale, Sunday March 11, 2012.

u7WwAjs.jpg

hGWMBXq.jpg

Mal Sawford's race report:

A Grade split and reformed a number of times, before the final selection of six pulled away for good with less than 10 minutes remaining. Their initial five second advantage had blown out to 20 seconds one lap later, and with all six committed to the cause there was no chance for the bunch to regain contact.

Despite having three in the break, the Jayco VIS team didn’t have anyone with the speed to match West Australian visitor Bradley Lindfield (WAIS) in the dash to the line, with distinctive black and gold colours flashing home ahead of Stu Smith (Jayco VIS), Aaron Eynaud (Charter Mason), Danny Kah (Cycling-Inform) and VIS pair Alex Morgan and Tom Hamilton.

Talking about old **** gear as Lama likes to call it. Unusual ****.

I have, or had, a pair of Sugino cranks. 171mm. Not 170mm or 172.5mm. 171mm. I don’t know why Sugino made them that length, unless it is because it converts close to 6.75 inches.

Dad was given a set of Shimano 3 arm cranks from the 1970s. Apparently they were from a touring group according to the dudes at bikeforums.

He also has the frame mount for the Campagnolo Portacatena. This was like a mount on your drive side rear dropout. You’d hit a little button on your gear lever and it would drop the chain off your bottom sprocket onto the holder to make changing wheels easier. I knew a few blokes who would use the gear levers without the chain holder and use the button as an “overdrive” button so they wouldn’t accidentally hit the 12 in a sprint
FEC7EB91-EE29-469C-87D6-E0231493439E.jpeg
77BB755A-AD20-4B67-83F4-173B73CEA809.jpeg
88DFE9D2-DEC9-4750-A49A-1E300325E885.jpeg

He also has the frame mount for the Campagnolo Portacatena. This was like a mount on your drive side rear dropout. You’d hit a little button on your gear lever and it would drop the chain off your bottom sprocket onto the holder to make changing wheels easier. I knew a few blokes who would use the gear levers without the chain holder and use the button as an “overdrive” button so they wouldn’t accidentally hit the 12 in a sprintView attachment 4730 View attachment 4731View attachment 4732
Wow. That's really clever. I wonder why that didn't catch on.

Wow. That's really clever. I wonder why that didn't catch on.
It needed a unique drop out to mount the chain catcher. Not sure if you could retrofit them by drilling and tapping an existing dropout. Ultimately it took up space that could be used for a seventh sprocket. Using the levers for overdrive was a good idea before indexing came in.

Nice rockery cnut. How long did it take you to make that? The rest of your garden looks ****.
Hahaha. It's actually the fake one near Newcastle that the Leyland Brothers made. The fact that I got there just before it burned to the ground is a complete coincidence.

4EB7827E00000578-0-image-a-12_1533036750446.jpg

Too many posts to catch up on at this time of night. Soon.
Here's another one. An important one to me, because despite loving it, I never knew what Stax stood for until just now. And because Steve Cropper is my new favourite no ******** truthteller.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://youtu.be/iCmr3nI1amo

Eeeewwwwww. Cotter pins.

I’ve seen derailleurs like that before, not in the flesh though. I think suntour actually came out with a derailleur that mounted on the chain stay similar to that.

Check this article for a good way to kill ten minutes, or 3 hours if you decide to do some searches and get lost down the rabbit hole. https://www.theguardian.com/environ...rful-derailleurs-and-how-they-changed-cycling

Who here watches House Hunters International?

I dunno how old this episode is, but this Seppo couple want a 2br apartment in Sydney for $1500 a month. I’m assuming USD. The real estate agents face looked priceless as they stated their budget and she had to explain that they might have to set their sights on a 1br.

I’m now up to the bit in the show where she has to show them properties in bad neighbourhoods in Dubbo, Wilcanna and Walgett.

edit. Lolz at the agent getting ****** off. Never seen that on this show before

Australian cities are so expensive. Mind you, because of COVID, there are 30,000 vacant properties in Sydney right now. One of my colleagues just negotiated a two-bedroom rental at McMahons Point (right on the Harbour, just under the north side of the Coathanger) for less than what I was paying for my one-bedroom flat 25k from the CBD. When I gave up the flat at the end of the lease a few months ago, you could hear the anguish in the agent's voice.

They ended up just down the road from beepers by the look of it. They were playing with their dog at Rushcutters Bay Park, so I’m guessing they ended up in the Cross or Potts Point. It showed it on the map but didn’t name the locality.