The Thread about Nothing....

Looks like it could be the answer. I'd like to see a video comparing the time it takes to change a rim brake rear wheel and one with RAT. I can't seem to find one on YouTube.

I reckon the smarter move would be to have the cassette and the brake outboard of the frame. Not sure how you would do it, but some smart cookie could come up with something clever.

I think I posted ages ago a prototype that appeared in the 80s and was shown at some bike shows. The cassette stayed in the frame when removing the rear wheel. Clever. ****ed if I know how it worked. I think it was in an old Winning magazine. I may still have it. I had probably 100 of them but piffed them all other than the first few editions.

Ribbed for your pleasure, Classo?

I have a bit of a soft spot for Campag but I could never use their ergopower levers because it was nearly impossible to hit the side button the on the drops to drop down a gear. Maybe I needed to break my thumbs and make then quad jointed.

I checked the Campag installations and I didn't see that it specified a minimum thumb size or that a specific thickness of bar tape or angle of the bars was exceeded - those that have had the displeasure of reading a full Campag component equipment guide will get my tongue in cheek reply.

Yeah, they are ****s. ******** manuals. Won't back their product either if the truth be known.

I've got campag levers of nearly every model, one the current shape, the rest the last shape. One, I think veloce or centaur, has the thumb shifter placed slightly lower than the others. The button is smaller too. I use shallow road bars. Easier to change gears than when I used deep drops, can actually reach the ****ing thumb button from the drops. I only went to Campag because I couldn't reach the old 9s Shimano levers properly. When 10s came in they reduced the reach. Too late, had already gone Campag.

That redesigned button for the 13s gravel gruppo should solve all that problem with reach. Only took them 27 years to think of it. Not sure they are rolling it out across the range.

None of these national teams have a jersey as good as the ones they had in the 80s other than Poland, Belgium and Italy (excluding the Suzuki logo). Germany almost gets tick. Lift your game federations

Last edited:
Borghini Longo. What a dumbarse. Tactically rides a great race (let’s be honest, Van der Breggen was another level), then ***** up 250m to go. Opens the door. Wow. Just as bad, leads out fast and goes for a long one against an opponent with a broken arm. Go walking pace and keep it short. No way can van Vleuten react and pull on the bars with a broken arm. Give her a long fast sprint and her strength comes in to the mix.

Now we’ve got Kate Bates ‘analysis’. WTF is she going on about regarded the Dutch? Van Vleuten has every right to ride for a medal, the race was won. She played her team role 100%.

Bugger.... wasn't able to watch as we had guests. Will need to catch up tomorrow. Did sneak a peek at one stage and saw that van der Breggen was 2mins ahead on her own.

Oh wait... I see she won. By 1:20! Oh my, she IS extraordinary.

I think I posted ages ago a prototype that appeared in the 80s and was shown at some bike shows. The cassette stayed in the frame when removing the rear wheel. Clever. ****ed if I know how it worked. I think it was in an old Winning magazine. I may still have it. I had probably 100 of them but piffed them all other than the first few editions.
Oh good... research time.

Let me know if you find a mag with a pic or two.

Spotted this morning... Sacred Kingfisher.

gXfzTek.jpg

Don't think I've got that Winning mag Paul. I found these. Think I have issue 3 of winning somewhere as well. That Inside Cycling mag only went 2 or 3 issues, best cycling msg I've ever seen.
IMAG0149_1.jpg

The one I saw years ago ran on the inside, but the freewheel locked on to the dropout. You could take out the wheel, but the freewheel stayed attached to the frame. It was clever and must have been early 84.

The same mag had a dual drive pinarello kilo bike. Chainrings on left and right, sprockets on both sides of the hub. There have been other versions used at world titles that had a freewheel on one side and the fixed sprocket on the other. The idea was to have the fixed sprocket just threaded on. Start on the smaller gear with the freewheel to get going while the fixed sprocket winds on, then the freewheel clutches and you are on the big gear. It never caught on and I suspect it was banned. Essentially a two speed system. I think the Canadian Jocelyn Lovell used it.

Yep. Looked just the same. Not sure exactly how the wheel connected on the old version, but the concept is identical.

Good sleuthing Paul.

Ive come across a better invention. Swisspers have a spoon shaped cotton bud so you can dig out ear wax. It feels really good sticking it in my ears. I have eargasms now.

The idea dates back to the 40s
http://campagnolodelta.blogspot.com/2010/02/cinelli-bivalent-hubs.html

https://cycletechreview.com/2013/news/hubdock/

It must have been the cinelli version relaunched in the 1980s but didn’t take off. I vaguely remember something about front and back wheels being interchangeable.

cinelli came up with a few clever ideas that were decades ahead of their time. Sloping fork crowns, clipless pedals (1971 iirc).
That's a good get Classo.

And this is such a clever system. "Bivalent" hubs. This might be the article... ??

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f5/ba/47/f5ba473d7e6a516c9ef20d7b930a158b.jpg

Ive come across a better invention. Swisspers have a spoon shaped cotton bud so you can dig out ear wax. It feels really good sticking it in my ears. I have eargasms now.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nope. It was one of those reviews of a bike show, probably milan or eurobike. Lots of pics and very brief descriptions. For some reason it stuck in my head, a glossy black dual drive pinarello kilo bike and the tricky hub. I can remember what bikes and components pro teams in the 80s used but can’t remember new ****. It all looks the same.