The Thread about Nothing....

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Hitchy, Jul 28, 2006.

1. paulambry

paulambry Well-Known Member

How now Cheetah?

They just suddenly vanished a week or so ago up here. Gawn. The Chief Mouser and her daughter are rather bored these days.

[​IMG]

#80301 paulambry, Jul 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    EoinC2 likes this.

2. classic1

classic1 Well-Known Member

Border check just west of Bairnsdale today. Cop asked me if I’d been in NSW. I answered “Victorian born and bred mate, I’m not going to that disease infested shithole”. He must have liked that answer because I got waved on and didn’t get tactically arrested or hit with a truncheon or beaten up or given a licence check or nothing.

EoinC2 likes this.
  3. classic1

DPF Jono Coleman

4. classic1

classic1’s obscure movies that people need to watch because they are ace.

beepers, don’t read because anyone that reckons Midnight Run is shit is clearly a fucking Phill.. Filostyn... cunt and high culture is wasted on them

Bestseller. Stars James Woods and Brian Dennehy. James Woods was ace in movies once, even though he is a right wing Trump loving lunatic these days, and is problematic because of allegations of rooting teenagers back in the day.

Anyway, Woods plays a creep and Dennehy plays a grizzled cop, so no typecasting there. Dennehy is a cop who was injured in a robbery from an evidence locker years earlier. He wrote a best selling book on it, but is suffering severe writers block, his wife has carked it, and he has the most wet (but not in a good way) naive teenage daughter of all time. Still on the force, he’s involved in a shootout down the docks, and is saved from getting shot by a well dressed mysterious bloke in sunglasses, who turns out to be a creepy as fuck hit man named Cleeve, played by James Woods.

Cleeve fronts the Dennehy character to say he was a hitman working for some high flying corporate dude. Corporate dude has stiffed Cleeve, so Cleeve wants to spill his guts to Dennehy so he’ll write a book about all the hits and dirty jobs that happened so he can fuck corporate dudes shit up. Because petty vengeance is ace. It’s not a spoiler to say Woods was involved in the evidence locker robbery because it’s flagged in the first scene. How Dennehy finds out and how he reacts is ace. Needless to say, violence is one of the outcomes.

Anyway, they travel around digging up evidence to prove Cleeve is what he says he is and who he worked for. Corporate dude tries to buy the Dennehy cop character off, but he’s a righteous dude and tells them to go fuck themselves. Then it escalates from there.

This movie, despite having a bit of a stupid ending, has excellent dialogue, great one liners, tension, violence, great acting from Dennehy (who always has the upper hand over slimy Cleeve), creepy acting from Woods, more violence, some very original violence, and also a bit more violence.

Anyway, if it comes on tv or netflix or to a bargain bin at JB or Cheap as Chips, grab it. I reckon last time I saw it on TV it was a midday movie. Not a flick that should be on TV in the middle of the day.

The end

EoinC2 likes this.
  5. classic1

Tomalaris discussing the Pyrenees. “This mountain range, it’s probably tens of thousands of years old....”

6. paulambry

Well that's ridiculous. The Bible tells us the whole of Earth is only 6,500 years old.

classic1 and steve like this.
  7. classic1

I swear he’s employed on a special needs program

8. paulambry

Or he has a handy cache of compromising photos.

9. classic1

10. classic1

Well done Patrick Konrad. I’ve gone back through the records and found out this is the biggest victory for an Austrian in France since 1940.

EoinC2 and paulambry like this.
  11. paulambry

12. matagi

matagi Well-Known Member

Soooo ...... this TdF thing. Watching highlights of today's stage and it seems like on the climbs they take the shortest line rather than the flattest line. What is the thinking behind that?

13. paulambry

Hey Ma, do you mean the routes they're taking up the mountains or the way they cut the corners on the hairpins?

14. matagi

matagi Well-Known Member

The way they take the corners on the hairpins.

15. classic1

If you are a super climber or on a good day you cut the corner. If you aren’t a pure climber or are saving your legs you take the flatter line.

I was taught to take the flatter line.

This probably says a lot about where I sit in cyclings heirachy.

EoinC2 likes this.
  16. classic1

Race coverage on Arthur’s seat is always a good indicator, as the hairpins give you a perfect comparison between a steep inside line vs a flatter outside line. Blokes like Jai Hindley or Froome in the Herald Sun Tour just cut the corners, whereas most other blokes take a wider, flatter line.

That was a good observation by you Ma. It you were to see more footage of the group behind the best climbers, or the grupetto, they are probably taking a flatter line. Things may have changed in recent years though, because once upon a time 39x25 was the smallest gear. Now they have 11s or 12s cassettes with 30 tooth sprockets.

paulambry likes this.
  17. paulambry

I would always prefer the flat line... around the base of a mountain.

EoinC2 and matagi like this.
  18. Wilchemy

Wilchemy Well-Known Member

I see Baden Cooke has turned up as a contestant in the “Brains” team on the latest Survivor Australia TV show.

19. classic1

20. classic1

Brace heart is in TV. Again. I flicked it over because I got caught on the phone and there is fuck all on.

I had forgotten how shit it is. Fucking terrible. One of the most overrated movies of all time. Also, it contains the obligatory moment you find in any Mel Gibson directed film, the bit where it turns into a snuff movie.