The Thread about Nothing....

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Hitchy, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Wilchemy

Wilchemy Well-Known Member

I didn’t think I was familiar with Norm or his work but after watching Deuce Bigalow - Male Gigalo on TV just now I discovered I had seen him before. Probably not a highlight in his career I would suspect.

2. paulambry

paulambry Well-Known Member

Probably not. I think he is braver than he is funny, actually. Not laugh-out-loud funny, but he's always been one comedian who would call out the wrongdoers really early... like OJ Simpson (before he was even convicted) and Bill Cosby.

3. classic1

classic1 Well-Known Member

Get your "I survived the 2021 Big One" T-shirt from classic1 T-shirts.

Who felt it?

4. Wilchemy

Yep. On the 3rd floor at work in the eastern suburbs. Thought it was cool…until it kept going for a while & I realised I was a long way from any exit haha

classic1 likes this.
  5. classic1

I felt a bit nauseous when it was happening. Dunno what that was about. Mum said the same thing when she rang about ten minutes after. So did a woman from work who rang. Never heard of that before, but it must be a thing.

I heard a big rumble first, thought a big semi was driving down my court, then the house started shaking.

6. Wilchemy

The rumbling noise is trippy. And it does sound like a truck or train approaching.

I wonder if the nausea is vertigo type of thing when the movement of the ground throws out your balance and the brain spins out trying to correct it?
    One of the staff at work standing near the front door said she felt nauseous too & thought she was heading for a faint for a second or two.

7. classic1

I looked it up, apparently it’s a thing. Most reckon it’s vertigo or motion sickness, others reckon it is to do with the shock wave. I only felt it for maybe 10 seconds.

Didn’t notice it in that quake in 2012. Probably coz I was in bed and had literally seconds earlier just finished rooting. I knew I was a magnificent shag but didn’t know I could make the earth move. Too much information?

8. matagi

matagi Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, despite my office being on the first floor of our building and therefore you would think more prone to feeling the tremor, I didn't notice anything. Although it was felt in our neck of the woods according to news reports.

9. classic1

DPF John Elliott.

Corrupt old flog.

I tried to find the story Hitchy wrote about harassing Elliott at his joint in Toorak after the 1993 Grand a Final but couldn’t find it.

10. paulambry

11. paulambry

Crikey... what an astounding change in momentum.

12. classic1

It was one of the great grand finals up until 50 seconds to go in the third quarter

13. Wilchemy

As a long suffering Dees supporter I still think it was one of the great grand finals…:D
    But for non invested viewers it had the makings of an absolute cracker, only to be turned into a training run at the end.

classic1 likes this.
  14. paulambry

Yes, well, as a Doggies supporter, it was astonishing in the worst possible way. That said, the Dees were crushing, bringing their long drought to an end in a most impressive flood of goals. Chappaue to Melbourne.

15. VadarStrikesBack

VadarStrikesBack Well-Known Member

Good work Melbourne - well deserved flag from all reports. Great to see Richmond, Melbourne and Footscray having success.

Even better doing so whilst seeing Essendon, Carlton and Collingwood imploding year after year. Especially Collingwood - what an absolute rabble right now.

16. VadarStrikesBack

Anyone know Beau?

17. VadarStrikesBack

Follow your nose on a half cooked idea.

Run the line.

classic1 likes this.
  18. Wilchemy

That was an interesting project. Offbeat for sure, but big props to Beau for following it through.

Reminded me that someone I know bought a whole rail bridge from around that area (I think possibly a minor one from that line) and used the timber on a house on the coast. Looked good and added something of a story to the place.

VadarStrikesBack and classic1 like this.
  19. classic1

Nope. But had no idea Noojee station still existed. I’ve walked over that bridge.

Plenty of old rail lines down this way, most converted to rail trails. Boolarra to Mirboo Nth is pretty but haven’t been all the way up the trail. Dad is old enough to have caught that train from Morwell to go to Mirboo Nth pool (fantastic pool btw, must be one of the best in the state). I’ve seen old news articles about Squizzy Taylor catching it to go to the races at Yinnar.

There’s an old rail trail from Moe to Yallourn W. South gippy, east gippy, bass coast, central gippy from Traralgon to Stratford can all be ridden. There even used to be a railway line from Moe to Erica. You can walk some of it at Caringal scout camp.

Walhalla railway on the steam train is great, but it’s only a short trip.

VadarStrikesBack likes this.