The Thread about Nothing....

Australian cyclist Matthew Rex is in a serious but stable condition after being hit by a car driven by friend and training partner Chris Jongewaard in Normanville, South Australia on Saturday night. Rex, a former member of the Australian Institute of Sport's under 23 program who now rides for Stuart O'Grady's development squad, Team O'Grady, sustained severe head injuries in the accident and is currently in an induced coma.

Rex was riding with another person when the crash happened near to the Normanville hotel where Rex and Jongewaard had been celebrating Rex's 22nd birthday. "The circumstances of the crash are extremely unusual," said Rex's manager Max Stevens to the Adelaide Sunday Mail. "The family is obviously devastated with what's happened. It looks like a case of a birthday celebration that has turned into a tragedy."

According to a police spokesman, Jongewaard, a recent winner of the Australian Mountain Bike Championship, had undergone a breath test after the accident.

jock.c said:
Today's lame music poll is.... Best Songs Featuring a Cowbell

#1 Rush - YYZ (live version as found on Exit Stage Left)
#2 Spoonman - SoundGarden
#ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz...........

oh oh oh, can we belatedly add bad obscession by GNR?

not a bad rainstorm out there. A good chance to catch up on my reading.
Just checked out the new Tmobile bike. Quite inspiring. I might have to get a tattoo on my toptube saying 'Die Mannschaft'.
Hopefully I won't be treading on Unca Jock's toes.......

jock.c said:
MTB dudes and OTB champions can grab 10 x 26" x various widths x presta/schreider + a minipump for $25
Pity about those valves only being 33mm - i need long ones for my deep v mtb rims - the only blokes that stock them want $13 a tube. Barr that.

Gusboh said:
Pity about those valves only being 33mm - i need long ones for my deep v mtb rims - the only blokes that stock them want $13 a tube. Barr that.
Cant use a valve extender?

existence said:
Thanks for all the lack of advice and help you lot. I couldnt give a rat's **** though
jock.c said:
Q for OzMan, Hitchy, Ed, etc, how come.........?

I promise yooz I know very little about training, partly because I'm not convinced that a lot of the specificity is necessary. Fairdinkum, all that **** they they go on with on the training section of this forum is rediculous, I reckon.

From the little I've read about Dr Ferrari in the Armstrong books, it seems he's much more concerned about the weight of his riders than doing such and such an interval at 553w vs 447w with a certain m/mol of lactate in a left medialis :). In other words, i gather they try to get a 'decent' motor, then get as light as possible, and racing tops up their intense stuff. The pros seem to have a fairly simple approach to training -- the best riders in the world aren't the ones who know the most about LT, AWC, TSS, FT (per mass^67), 50tss/day CTL, etc. :p I've said this a million times, but plenty of pros ride super time-trials without any specific work, they just race their guts out for a few months.

Anyhoo, my hard days usually involved one or two long time-trial intervals, then I try do some pseudo short intervals which are just red-line attacks in group rides :p....which often gets my heart rate over 195bpm! :p There was some dude in Drapac Porsche gear last Tuesday who shot off the front of the Beach Rd ride, and I was so determined that he wasn't gunna get away that my HR was ~197 for about 2 minutes! :p

....oh yeah, and Exy, racing REALLY helps, coz I promise you it makes you rider harder than you could ever ride on your own, especially if you're yo-yoing off the back of a criterium bunch and have to sprint for 200m on just about every corner, Like I do. :) God I'm **** at riding in a bunch

531Aussie said:
There was some dude in Drapac Porsche gear last Tuesday who shot off the front of the Beach Rd ride, and I was so determined that he wasn't gunna get away that my HR was ~197 for about 2 minutes! :p
That was more than likely Phil Thauax who won the 4000m ITT at the Nationals the day before. Many a Central Coast rider has tried to keep up with Phil when he's doing efforts, but usually not for very long. :)

^^ actually, he didn't look like much, so I might've been one of the no-name guys.

There's few grouse stories going around at the moment about how Lapthorne and McLacghlan are just SMASHING everyone.

Apparently Lapthorne rocked up to a Hawthorn crit and rode half the race at the front of the bunch then just took off and creamed them, all on his own :p

And apparently McLaghlan got the break in the Melb to Warn and said to the other guys: "if you guys don't work with me I'm gunna really hurt you", and he smashed them anyway :p

531Aussie said:
^^ actually, he didn't look like much, so I might've been one of the no-name guys.

There's few grouse stories going around at the moment about how Lapthorne and McLacghlan are just SMASHING everyone.
McLauchlan is a monster. Compared to him Phil is a stick. Regardless, Phil still has a strong engine

531Aussie said:
especially if you're yo-yoing off the back of a criterium bunch and have to sprint for 200m on just about every corner, Like I do. :) God I'm **** at riding in a bunch
Number one word of advice to racers.

HOLD THE FARKING WHEEL.:p :D

If you just follow this golden rule everything else will follow.:)

jock.c said:
McLauchlan is a monster. Compared to him Phil is a stick. Regardless, Phil still has a strong engine
I saw him at the Tour of Gippsland 18 months ago. He was a class ahead of a field that included a few world champs and blokes who'd had pro contracts. He kicked their arses.

In fact, he was the only bloke in the race IMO (and the opinion of a very well respected coach I was talking to on the day) who could have gone to Europe and straight away put the hurt on.

531Aussie said:
ah well, at least i know I'm getting a better workout than anyone else :p
You could try and make life a bit easier on yourself though!

Coupla simple things:

look past the guy in front of you and match whatever the guy in front of him is doing. That way you're anticipating changes of pace much better and you can tell when danger is headed your way much earlier.

watch/listen for subtle giveaways in the pack. eg. "gun riders" might change UP a cog or two before a corner if they're going to hammer out of it. Match their change and get ready to pile on the power.

get up the front ya lazy bum. There's no point riding at the back, it saps your energy too quickly. Stay in the front third of the pack. If you want a good workout then do your efforts off the front, not trying to cling on to the back.

531Aussie said:
so, what's his story?

Did he have a break between Barcelona and now? :)
I think he sort of lost the vibe for bit & went and got a "real" job as a school teacher and then a few years ago decided to get back on the bike & see how good he could go......and it's pretty farken good!!! Big, strong unit!! :eek: