The Thread about Nothing....

oely said:
I find the Shimano ones rather ugly also, and they dont seem to fit me that well. I ended up getting some Specialized comp road shoes from Goldcross cycles reduced to 95$. Not so ugly and importantly they feel comfortable.
WOW! Under $100 for any shoe is pretty good

flipper said:
You going to Casey Nev?
eh, dunno. I don't like getting out of corners (re. I'm **** at it), and Casey looks like the Monarco of Melb criterums. :p Putting me on there would be like having a Nascar on a GP circuit

You'll be doing the Eastern race at Yarra Junction, right? It'll be farkin cold down there.

Thylacine said:
Naw, you'd fly off the front doing 50, then settle into a nice rhythm in the high 40's and smash them all. :rolleyes:
I fly off the front then slide back and straight out the back. :) Then I try and do it all again. I got told by one bloke I have the worst form on a bike he has ever seen. :eek::(
I dont really care though.

existence said:
I fly off the front then slide back and straight out the back. :) Then I try and do it all again. I got told by one bloke I have the worst form on a bike he has ever seen. :eek::(
was he a "dude" or a hack? :p Did he mean your position, the way you ride, or your bad 'tactics'?

Kennedy reckons I've got the worst worst position on Beach Rd: too high and too far forward. :)

The trick to smashing or hurting a bunch is doing it when the wind is at such a direction and strength that the effect of drafting is significantly reduced, which usually means a very strong tale or cross wind, otherwise it's virtually impossible to kill everyone. Think about it: if the tailwind is so strong that you can sit on 55kph, the dudes behind can't get good drafting benefits to work proper turns, so it's almost every man for himself.

With good drafting conditions, like a steady, non-blustery headwind, it's almost impossible to smash a bunch, even if every one of them is only 70% or 80% as fit as you. They can just work easy turns to pull you back because the drafers are probably getting a 30%+ benefit from the draftee

Hmmm, looks like I've thought way too much about this kind of stuff :p

existence said:
I dont really care though.
You should. If your position isn't right you aren't getting all the power down that you should - which makes it harder to SMASH THEM. Plus it can lead to injury, fatigue on long rides etc. Go and see Beasley.

I was watching an old DVD the other night that had Roche and Thurau on it. **** they looked good on the bike - so smooth, flat backs, looked effortless. A bit like me. I look like a farking god on the bike.:p

I got told once my form was pretty good......'for a tall guy'.

Which probably means I'm **** *laugh*

In a bunch ride I sometimes ride out of my saddle for 4-5km just cos I get bored in the saddle - is this a big no-no? I havent copped any **** for it but that doesnt make it kosher either. Ive come across JFK a few times on beach rd. Hung **** on me for having an ipod and not being able to do a trackstand at some lights. Whatever. :p

Besides hobby cyclists dont need to look all pretty on a bike. :)

oely said:
Specialized comp road shoes from Goldcross cycles reduced to 95$. Not so ugly and importantly they feel comfortable.
Yep Specialized, the poor mans Sidi, I’m on my second pair.

existence said:
In a bunch ride I sometimes ride out of my saddle for 4-5km just cos I get bored in the saddle - is this a big no-no?. :)
Hmmm, I'd say yes, but what do I know? :p Are you doing it flat out or what?

I occasionally might so it for several hundred metres, just to give my asre a rest

531Aussie said:
were you there last night? It was ****: a moderate headwind meant it was one of those ones where it just stays on 40kph to 45kph the whole way, with everyone easily sitting on, also with lots on bunching up coz no-one wants to go the front.
Nah wasn't there. Looking forward to some big southerly winds on that ride:cool:

classic1 said:
Roche and Thurau on it. **** they looked good on the bike - so smooth, flat backs, looked effortless. A bit like me. I look like a farking god on the bike.:p
Where are the pictures of classic1 in action hmmmm? Show us the ultimate riding position Mr. God. :p (bbp this is not a good excuse for you to post **** lol...)

Wilchemy said:
Tall guys can make Pro-Tour squads....
[/url]
there's tall dude on Beach Rd named Tom McBride who I reckon looks the grousest out there: flat back, low bars, long stem...farkin grouse

existence said:
Where are the pictures of classic1 in action hmmmm? Show us the ultimate riding position Mr. God. :p (bbp this is not a good excuse for you to post **** lol...)
As if he needs an excuse...:)

existence said:
You'd have to avert your eyes in my presence.

existence said:
half_big_girl_on_bike.jpg

stuff it, I'm not riding tonight! It was already down to 9 degrees at 6 o'clock!!

Yes, I do feel guilty :)