The Thread about Nothing....

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Hitchy, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Jono L

Jono L Well-Known Member

hmmm...

Wonder what happened to Hayden Roulston (kiwi bloke who dominates all their racing...)

Ben King has gone well this year..]

Who the hell is hooper??

2. thunder

thunder New Member

probably been doing too much speed work bro.

preparation for summer madisons and Beijing with Henderson.

Would have expected Pearson to win a sprint, he is one of the fastest guys around. Must not have had the legs when it came to kick after 300km

3. 46kgToDate

46kgToDate New Member

4. classic1

classic1 Well-Known Member

Plus its an uphill sprint. I've seen plenty of diesels win sprints up Raglan parade.

Charles Howlett is from down my way. Huge effort. Was talking to him about 2 weeks ago and he had been a touch crook, plus I'm sort of eating words a bit as I didn't think he'd go that well. Good on him.

5. 62vette

62vette Well-Known Member

Back from K2, 2nd best time out of 4 outings, race report later. I am retiring from K2, too many fucking hard hills. I hate it when you have to stop and do the "crazy cramp dance" part way up the hardest climb and watch your muscles writhing around like you have an alien about to burst out of your quads.

6. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

http://www.sosenka.cz/

Why doesn't this page load up for me?

It says 'done' at the bottom of the Bigpond browser, but I just get a blank page.

7. 531Aussie

8. 531Aussie

these are the kinda things I come up with when I'm alone with my thought for too long on a ride:

'chainring tattoo? They're so hideous I'd rather walk around with a piece of used toilet paper hanging out the back of my trousers'

Not bad?

:)

9. Jono L

Jono L Well-Known Member

10. 531Aussie

11. j.r.hawkins

j.r.hawkins New Member

Hey, Thylo. Nice bike - combined CF and Ti looks awesome! :D I was a bit surprised by one thing tho': what's with the integrated DR hanger? What happens if you get a stick up through your DR and bend/break the hanger? :confused:

I've bent the hanger on my hardtail a few times on rocks and the like. :(

12. 62vette

That's when you send you frame back to Tiger and he fixes it up as good as new :D

13. Hitchy

Hitchy New Member

back from Warnie....fair dinkum, you'd have to wonder about the mentality of some of the people at CSV & the promoter....that Sanctuary lakes start was an unmitigated disaster....farkin peckheads!....they changed the start from Kooringal Golf club in Altona to Sanctuary Lakes golf club at Pt Cook, supposedly because it would be safer for the riders....umm OK, but as Pt Cook is 5km closer to Warnie, they also decided they wanted to keep the trip at 299.1 (so it retains the worlds longest RR title, I guess)....so, they thought to make up the extra distance, we'll just do a bit of a tour up & down some of the roads in the housing estate, under control.....now given that 'under control' usually means at least 50kph...perhaps we could also include a 'U' turn to liven things up!. :rolleyes: ....yep, you guessed it....blokes at the front doing 50kph, come to the 'Uee' & slow....blokes at the back still doing 50 kph trying to hang on...absolute carnage....I reckon there was 20 blokes that didn't even make it out of the farkin golf course...game over....

Oh & the 1st sprint was 700m after the official start!....so everyone (well those that were left) is on the 'rivet' & then sit up after the sprint...more carnage!.....get to Werribee...blokes going down like 9 pins in the corner before the sprint...Emma carney decided she'd had enough of this road racing stuff about now!....my mate reckons he'd locked up his back wheel so many time's by Werribee that he had 4 different flat spots on it...bewdy...he reckons he could feel 'em thru his @rse for the next 280KM :D......tough day for the lads....Inverleigh to Cressy was just a joke....everyone in the gutter (right hand side ) for 60 km...fun

14. Jono L

Jono L Well-Known Member

Nothing yet.

Chubby? I't's flat. Plus you're better off with some reserves... don't wanna crack and hungerflat before you hit a feed station...

15. Thylacine

Thylacine Member

What sticks? It's a road bike!

I've never damaged a hanger on any of my road bikes ever, but if anyone was really concerned, you can buy break-away hangers that are designed to bend before the hanger does.

That said, those dropouts are 6-4 titanium which is about 6 times stronger than your average Aluminium hanger, so your chances are to say the least very slim.

16. Jono L

Jono L Well-Known Member

You gonna write/email CSV on this one? Sounds ridiculous...

Was their a lead car slowing the pricks down?

We had a controlled start in Italy along some freeway with the race director leaning out the back window of the lead car threatening to whallop anyone who dared ride past the car:D

17. Thylacine

Thylacine Member

Wow, you mean they actually had to brake and steer? That woulda sucked!

18. 62vette

K2, 200km of hell on hills!

Up at 5am for brekkie, a few nervous visits to the dunny a 3km warm up ride to the start line for the 8am start.

15km in and the longest hill of the day - Kopu-Hikuai. I was trying to save some gas for later on so I climbed at about 88% max HR and let the hares get away. The first descent was full of cars so I spent half the time on the brakes till I could overtake on the first longish stretch. I got in a bunch of about 20 where only 6 of us did any work, so I drifted to the back after a while and just sat in.

I stayed with that bunch till about the 120km mark, when I ran out of gas on a short hill and started asking myself what I was doing there. A couple of gels and half a bottle of water later and I was climbing the next hill at a reasonable pace again.

Then the cramp hit me on Whangapoua, the hardest hill. 140km in, a 3.4km climb that rises about 350m. I couldn't stand on the steepest bit and couldn't turn the pedals seated, so I had to stop and do what my mate calls the "crazy cramp dance" before I could get going again. It's really odd watching your quads twitching and bunching up while your legs are still.

I had to stop after the descent at an aid station for a poo and to stretch out some cramp.

I got up Manaia and Kereta hills OK, then it was 40km down the coast into a head wind to the finish. I got into a bunch of 6 and battle with my cramp all the way in. I still managed to do some work about 70% of my turns, and rode in with a time of 6:52 (or thereabouts). My computer showed 6:40, so I lost about 12 minutes in the dunny and manging cramp.

The organisers have full bottles at the drink stations on the climbs so you can just dump your empties, grab full ones and keep going. Apart from the cramp and uncooperative bowels, I could have ridden non-stop being far enough up the field that they still had bottles left.

I've done K2 4 times now, once from each of the 4 start points, so that's my lot for that race. It just hurts me too much. I need to find the secret to managing cramp better though regardless. I think about 4 hours of hills is about where I run into trouble.

19. matagi

matagi Well-Known Member

Works fine using Firefox

20. matagi

matagi Well-Known Member

Orright Northerners, I've done a recce of the proposed TAN ride route and here are my thoughts

Wollombi-Broke is the nicer route, much more scenic, but Pokolbin-Broke is a better road surface (well, until you reach Pokolbin when it deteriorates significantly). Not much traffic on either road but there is a bit more heading Pokolbin-Broke. No shoulder on either road, so I reckon we'll be doing a fair amount of single-file work.

My suggestion is we do Pokolbin-Broke-Pokolbin and have lunch in Pokolbin rather than in Broke. It's only 20km from Pokolbin to Broke, so the return ride would give us more distance. Also, there's much more stuff in Pokolbin, so partners/mistresses/children will have more to occupy them while they wait.

So if you dozy buggers want this to happen, I'm going to need a little more response than I've had so far. Also, given the weekend tends to be a little busy in the Hunter Valley, we will need to book whatever lunch venue we choose, so it would be useful to know how many we can expect.

So far, I have Gus, Albert50 and 46kg on the list (as well as us) - do we have any other takers? Proposed date is Sunday November 25th for those who might have forgotten.