The Thread about Nothing....

flipper said:
Polar 725x
definitely overrated and overpriced, and obviously only useful if you're right into the computer download bit, and/or if you really want an altimeter. The altimeter thing is a bit of a drag, coz it has to be reset every ride for best accuracy. When I first got mine i wanted to see exactly how good the altimeter was, so i walked down to the water at Elwood and set it to "1 metre". :) I did my ride, then went back to the same spot, and it read "4 meters". I was devastated, :p

The thermometer is handy, I guess, but it doesn't work properly when the sun is on it.

Needless to say, I'm one of those guys who only uses it for the instant HR reading.

I haven't checked out the other brands in years. Back in the old days, Polar was the only one worth getting. There were other brands, but they weren't as good. I had one of those huge Vetta ones which was also a speedometer, but it wasn't as reliable as my Polar Edge (I've still got my Edge). Apparently the other brands have caught way up.

Thanks for the review... I am into recording everything, and the download bit is one of the main things that got me interested.

I'm in for the TAN ride, no prefrence on the route, but will have to behave myself a bit, got a gig at 6pm that arvo at the Excelsior of Glebe if anyone wants a bit of postride entertainment. Same goes for every Sunday arvo this month actually.

Is the Gong ride Sat or Sunday? I've always avoided big rides like that but could be tempted to lose my cherry, esp with a brewery thrown in to sweeten the deal.
<Sunday. Hmm. It's the 6am bit that leaves me a tad unenthused>

flipper said:
How good are these Polar 725x's. I'm saving up my biccies (all donations gratefully accepted since it's my birthday today) and should be able to get one in the next few weeks. My old Sigma one finally died.

I got one of these. It works well. THe altimeter function is good as long as you are not relying on it to give you what is your EXACT height above sea-level as it is influenced by air-pressure and thus temperature.

However, once you upload your data into the software, the Altitude gained/lost is accurate.

Compare the Polar 725 against the Garmin Edge 305, and I think you'll find that the garmin is a better unit. Apart from battery life, the 725 kicks **** there.

Having said that the 710, 720, 725x blah blah range has been out for ages and only mildly updated along the way. it is about time they fully refreshed it and made it similar to the CS600, but as a removable watch.

Edge 605 and 705 will be out in Aus prolly by the end of this year too (was announced a few months ago).

bbp said:
Gong ride
Tomorrow 6am is a good idea - do it - or as soon as poss after...
last year we were good and left at 7.30am 'cause that was the time they gave us
and well, let's just say we would have been happier if we'd left earlier.

All the Sunday paper editors must be crying into their whiskey bottles tonight after an escaped axe murderer was recaptured before they went to print tonight. Oh dear how sad never mind...

Looks like they'll have to go with Labour party conference delegate striking protestors with their own megaphone instead.

bbp said:
I'm in for the TAN ride, no prefrence on the route, but will have to behave myself a bit, got a gig at 6pm that arvo at the Excelsior of Glebe if anyone wants a bit of postride entertainment. Same goes for every Sunday arvo this month actually.
Ok, so we have Gus, Al50, 46kg, bbp, M & M plus spouses?

Jock, Climbo, Pshaw, HDT - you guys up for this?

bbp - has the band got a regular gig anywhere else in the coming months? Might make a nice "alternative" TAN ride if some of us got together and turned up to throw empty beer bottles. :p ;)

matagi said:
Ok, so we have Gus, Al50, 46kg, bbp, M & M plus spouses?

Jock, Climbo, Pshaw, HDT - you guys up for this?

bbp - has the band got a regular gig anywhere else in the coming months? Might make a nice "alternative" TAN ride if some of us got together and turned up to throw empty beer bottles. :p ;)
When is it?

OK well I suppose as possibly the first TAN reader back from the Gong ride today I'll post my 2 cents worth...
Met up with Gusboh at the start and we rode together for a while but he had to stay with his brother who had only ever ridden 30k in his life before (his dogs will be barking tonight!).
My pre ride preparation yesterday involved 6th grade music exam for no.1 daughter followed by a race to get her back to her community musical for the evening session then race into town to get no.2 daughter to her Choir concert at the town hall then race back to pick up no1 daughter at 10.45pm in a thunderstorm. Try doing that whilst sipping 4-5 litres of water. I have discovered new toilets!!
Get home, the farkin' dog killing neighbours are trying to blast the storm away with their sound system 50 or more drunk rowers. Its OK because about midnight the thunderstorm got so loud the rain and thunder drowned them out, so now I have something new to keep me awake. Is it 4.30am already? I'm sure I've been asleep for at least an hour.
Check radar, sky, call brother who is on bus coming in from Bathurst - FAB we are go to launch. Set off for St Peters trying not to slip over on the greasy streets.
Meet Gusboh at ride start. Circa 6.30am with light drizzle we are off.
I suppose it was about Tempe we got the 'cold November rain'.
Then, it really began to rain.
The usual contingent of flats and upturned bikes lined the route.
Loftus, I peel off my drenched rain jacket and put on Sunscreen!
Four seasons in a morning!
Roll past the Maccas at Engadine about 8.10am - nuffie invasion. But its OK as soon as they hit the first hill they're all stopping - just anywhere they want - slaming on the brakes - turning bikes half around to see where their mates / children/ girlfriends/ bikeparts have got to.
Down the descent at Waterfall into the National Park some loon in white pants sweeps through the bunch and has to slam on his brakes (whilst on the painted centreline) slips all over the place. I notice his bike - its a Colnago WTF??:eek:. Sound of branch crashing over head.
Stop for a natural break in the flats before Bald Hill, both me and my buggy feel good. I actually pass the Otford pie shop - without stopping - this I regret later when my brother calls me from there, to tell me how good his pie was. I've just enjoyed an excellent "fake strawberry and banana substitute" gel, sans caffeine.
The seacliff bridge is a picture today! We get our first gust of the wind. As usual Coalcliff hill is an unpleasant surprise and I'm in the wrong gear again this year so its stand and grind when I really would rather sit.
Coalcliff Pub I salute two riders who've pulled over for the first schooner of the day.
Scarborough - a pommie on a real nice bike stops next to me at the water taps and screams in agony as his whole leg cramps up - followed by the other leg. He's frozen on his bike we try to get him off but he can't move. Three first aid guys come over and they can't move him either. The guy's eyes are watering and he's rigid with pain. His mate says, "don't worry we'll cut the bike out from under you". I give his helpful mate one of my dissolving gaterade tablets to put in the drink bottle, which I notice is contained by a $170 carbon fibre drink cage!
We undulate through the beaches picking up some good speed when not being blasted by the force nine westerly and I latch onto a few 'blue trains' that roll past.
Joyously, I note we are not on the farking bike track for the last part.
The new finish setup is excellent, some great things to look at, I'm thinking of the pub Gusboh told me about. But sadly the ****le in my back from the gym Friday is really giving me hell. I was actually looking forward to the specialty beers at WIN stadium pub even though its only 10.57. I'm hurting so I down the the salad roll I'm proffered and head for the "special service" MSGong ride trains. For $9 its a pretty comfortable ride back to St Peters and I finally get some of the sleep I lost last night.
4hrs 20min could certainly be improved on, maybe with less wind and rain I could go sub 4 hours next year.
Looking for a beer report later from Gusboh.:)

Nice report
thumb.gif

Any Vic get flooded last night/today?

jock.c said:
When is it?
Sunday November 25th, bring the family if you are so inclined.

Proposed route Pokolbin to Broke (and possibly return) lunch in either Broke or Pokolbin depending on what we decide. Pokolbin obviously has more stuff for non-riding partners to do.

ozman said:
farkin hell! This CH10 newsreader killed herself last night
Working with Tim Webster would drive you to it IMO

yeah, yeah, I know, extremely poor taste.

ozman said:
Any Vic get flooded last night/today?
Its been raining here for 2 days and pissing down since last night. Big storm early this morning. Gale winds, heavy rain, but its calmed down a bit this afternoon.

46kgToDate said:
OK the Gong ride
Well done 46 for not softcocking it like some of us. By the time I surfaced it actually looked like a beautiful day, I vaguely recall waking up to the alarm going off at 6 to try and get me up to join some lads at Ourimbah, but the next thing I knew was bright sunshine at 11am, and I was thinking woops, it's not the first time I've gone off all premature like. :rolleyes: Sounds like it turned out well after a bit of a miserable start. Don't hold your breath for Gus' report though, I reckon he'd still be in schooner heaven. I'll uh aim to join ya's next year :D