The Thread about Nothing....

badsac said:
Wonder if he's talking about any of you guys? ;)
I'm sure it can't be anyone in the TAN, we're all witless here.
There are some fabulously silly things said in the Seppo forums, viz:
almost anything said in the Grand Tours - Giro - Tour de France - Vuelta a España forum.

In other news...
Rob Lyte is 5th overall after stage 1 of the Tour of Hainan
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road.php?id=road/2007/nov07/hainan07/hainan071
be sure to check out the local dancers picture - makes you want to jump on a plane:p

Gong Ride Report - All four seasons, fun, long, not tired at all (because of how long it took) and i had *just* enough beer afterwards to forget the really **** bits.

To add to 46's post - good thing i bailed back to the brother - my mate had dropped well back for some reason, we had to wait.
Then we stopped at Loftus, made the executive decision to wait out what looked to be a very very angry storm, nothing eventuated. Meanwhile i'm playing mechanic with my mate's bike, fixing a busted spoke, a nearly busted brake and very closely checking the rest of the bike to make sure that there aren't any real surprises for the descents.

Off from Loftus - Bro is dropped immediately, he just wasn't ready for riding i guess - he and i had already done 50 odd by then because we rode from home. A mate needs two natural stops - pea sized bladder.

Bro bails at waterfall (after waiting 15 minutes to get up the overpass - someone stacked hard by the looks of it)

Set off down the hill - realise i should have gone off the front, cos i'm heavy, and every ******* is riding their brakes. Smelled serious brake burnout from at least 3 people i passed - one person even looked like they were down to metal onto metal. REAR FLAT ON THE STEEPEST SECTION OF THE DESCENT!!!! *FARRKKKKKK*. Pull over behind the ambo for the hurt guy, fix the thing, find a big piece of glass and wonder how i got that, after about 4000 people have been down already... Notice cracks around the spokes. Looks like i'll need to baby this one home, and then buy a new damn wheel basically... Not happy with that...

Get going (buy a Morph pump btw, they are tops), about 200m away the mate with the busted spoke has a busted front derailer mount, and throws a chain... Fix that. 1km further, the other mate has a punture, fix that...

Up and over the hill, more natural breaks. Re-pump tires at one of the nice floor pump stops - thank-you woolies or whoever supplied them...

Fruit stop - other mate has a busted spoke... More natural breaks (none of these have been mine either btw). Chow down on too many bananas

Last 25 km was spent at under 20km/h due to mates being stuffed. Roll into the park, thinking "****, we're not where we were last year - we've got to ride another 2 k's to the pub.

Meet Mrs, ride to pub.

Drink as much beer as we can before it will cause serious desires to sleep on the train, standing or not. (it was pretty average beer to be honest, not worthy of a full report except to say - it's nicer than 99% of the beer in pubs down there)

Pizza was outstanding though. Could have finished off two.

So - we had a million dramas, bikes all screwed up, i'm seriously out of pocket for a new wheel, and for fixing my brother's bike, which needed stuff done.
But i still had fun. I think i might go quick next year, just run along at my own pace and not bother stopping except for necessity. I've done the "see the gong ride", it's ok, but i'd rather be done by brunch o'clock for a coffee, a cake, a shower and then off to the pub for a long lunch. And i'd rather do it on a bike that i trust just a tad more, than one with a screwed real wheel :) That just made me nervous for 3 hours.

Gusboh said:
Gong Ride Report
Gusboh! Now I really feel bad:eek: finishing before 11 with all that disaster happening behind me. Maybe I could have helped with my gas cylinders! Sorry Gusboh.
Finishing with a shower and then off to the pub for a long lunch before the trip home sounds better than riding back (my previous ambition for next year)!

46kgToDate said:
Gusboh! Now I really feel bad:eek: finishing before 11 with all that disaster happening behind me. Maybe I could have helped with my gas cylinders! Sorry Gusboh.
Finishing with a shower and then off to the pub for a long lunch before the trip home sounds better than riding back (my previous ambition for next year)!
Nah, don't feel bad mate, i figured that i'd need all my tools this year being the only bloke with mechanical skills in my original group. Glad i thought about it :)

Tell you what - doing it slow does have it's benefits, the 'scenery' is better back with the knobby tyre crowd...

matagi said:
Sunday November 25th, bring the family if you are so inclined.

Proposed route Pokolbin to Broke (and possibly return) lunch in either Broke or Pokolbin depending on what we decide. Pokolbin obviously has more stuff for non-riding partners to do.
Welllllll.... This is only a couple of k or so away from Pokolbin...

Gusboh said:
Welllllll.... This is only a couple of k or so away from Pokolbin...
Gusboh
Hmmm... I've been there a few times over the years and its has been a bit of a dump - or was last time I went. Now the Blue Tongue Brewery is a different story.
http://www.bluetonguebrewery.com.au/
In the heart of the Hunter at the Hunter Resort
http://www.hunterresort.com.au/bluetongue/index.htm
you can taste 10 different blue tongue beers in a beer paddle of shot glasses for $10 and if you bring the paddle back you get a midi of the one you liked the most. They also have quite passable food there tough it can be popular...

Okay booze hounds. I need to buy a friend some beer for some bike work a few weeks ago. What are the suggestions to get him?

parawolf said:
Okay booze hounds. I need to buy a friend some beer for some bike work a few weeks ago. What are the suggestions to get him?
Does he like beer?

I know Thylo doesn't like it - but a case of Golden Ale will go down well (I think you should try it again btw thylo)

Another nice one for warmer weather is Little Creatures Pale Ale.

Both run at about 50.

You might want to buy a 4 pack of Hoegaarden Wit Bier too - it'll make him feel like you've spent a fortune, and if you're lucky, he'll let you share it with him at a barbie on a nice arvo.

Gusboh said:
Does he like beer?

I know Thylo doesn't like it - but a case of Golden Ale will go down well (I think you should try it again btw thylo)

Another nice one for warmer weather is Little Creatures Pale Ale.

Both run at about 50.

You might want to buy a 4 pack of Hoegaarden Wit Bier too - it'll make him feel like you've spent a fortune, and if you're lucky, he'll let you share it with him at a barbie on a nice arvo.

Yeah should have mentioned that this is request is for beer :)

I'm tucking into some Velkopopovicky Kozel Pilsner. It's just ace on a nice Summery day like today. :)

If you want to pretend your vaguely special, then yeah, go the Hoe'. ;)

Little Creatures Pale has a bloody nice citrus element to it and is tre tasty.

Thylo - have you heard of a new shifter coming out? 9 speed, looks like shimano, except the shifting runs from two paddles behind the lever rather than one.
I saw one at Pete Bundy's shop (excellent btw, my new LBS for sure) and i haven't been able to find anything out about them.

Yeah, Sampson and Sunrace are the only two brands I know of that are going that way. Suntour might even have something in the works.

Keen to ride the SRAM road stuff as an alternative, but when I can get DA for half the price it makes it a rather hard sell.