The Thread about Nothing....

My mate Stretch won the penultimate stage of the Tour of Southland, and scored well in the sprints on the final stage, but just missed out on the final sprint jersey. Still, he's probably won enough to buy a round or two at the pub and a bunch of flowers for his missus.

I was talking with one of my local mates on this morning's ride who rode a number of Tours of Southland back in the 80s, and he reckons they never had bad weather for the tour back then. It's just been the **** weather patterns of late that have had riders being blown into the vegetation.

matagi said:
A love of flowers is a sign of gentleness of the soul. :p :p :p :p
Amen sister!

475719038_b45a464122.jpg

Jono L said:
I kinda did that first time I rode my mates BT, didn't stack but still kneed myself in the gut good and proper:D doh...
yeah, I did a similar thing a few times :p. It's a **** feeling.

Some dude who used to run Gran Prix reckons he hardly ever rode track, but when he did, he used to scare everyone around him by continually saying to himself out loud, "don't stop pedaling, keep turning left, don't stop pedaling, keep turning left" :)

531Aussie said:
continually saying to himself out loud, "don't stop pedaling, keep turning left, don't stop pedaling, keep turning left" :)
I reckong Nascar drivers must say something similar to themselves :p

I finally got that Ciocc. There's 4 licenses right there :p

I need MORE STICKERS!!!! :D I covered it in Easton stickers even though it's Dedacciai aluminium

It's only 1", and I just noticed it doesn't have a removable derailleur hanger, but, oh well....

ciocc_4.jpg

helpful hints said:
cranks....
I cheated by leaving the cups in place & only removing the crank arms & rings ;)
I marked the cup location & alternated between them with ever increasing force. I was about to give up when the left cup moved 2mm :)
I rode 22ks without any creaking. Not that I could give it much of a workout with my stuffed knee.

bbp I don't know how many balls in your hubs but I'd be sure it would be the same each side:p If all else fails I think it goes something like 'as many balls as will fit then take one out' If they are small balls like a head set 'remove 2' :confused:
Disclaimer: I don't really know :eek:

531Aussie said:
I finally got that Ciocc. There's 4 licenses right there :p

I need MORE STICKERS!!!! :D

It's only 1", and I just noticed it doesn't have a removable derailleur hanger, but, oh well....

ciocc_4.jpg
The only pluses for braze on hangers are they look cooler than a clamp, you don't get marked up paint like you do using a clamp and braze on is slightly lighter than a clamp mount. There are pluses for using a clamp on front derailleur IMO.

1/ No turkey has blown a friggin hole in your seattube welding one on.
2/ No braze on hanger to break
3/ If you ever get fat and want to go compact you don't have to worry about a braze on hanger not being low enough for your front derailleur to work.

Even the 1" fork is no biggie IMO. You can still use any 1 1/8th stem with a shim, plus think of all the 1" stems you can pick up on ebay for about $5 each :D

^ Yeah, I once busted a riveted braze-on one an old alu Specialized, so I just rammed a short self-tapper in there. :) Looked great! :p

most alu frames seem to come without braze-ons (or "rivet-ons") these days ...I think??

One inch forks don't bother me neeva, it's just that the options are severely reduced, and maybe one day they'll be very tricky to get.....or so they say. One inch, black, threadless headsets are already a bit harder to get

531Aussie said:
^ Yeah, I once busted a riveted braze-on one an old alu Specialized, so I just rammed a short self-tapper in there. :) Looked great! :p

most alu frames seem to come without braze-ons (or "rivet-ons") these days ...I think??

One inch forks don't bother me neeva, it's just that the options are severely reduced, and maybe one day they'll be very tricky to get.....or so they say. One inch, black, threadless headsets are already a bit harder to get
probikekit have 1" stronglight threadless on sale at the moment - silver only

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=s1004

531Aussie said:
Some dude who used to run Gran Prix reckons he hardly ever rode track, but when he did, he used to scare everyone around him by continually saying to himself out loud, "don't stop pedaling, keep turning left, don't stop pedaling, keep turning left" :)
A guy I used to race with reckoned that if you nailed the start, then rode erratically... swerved/weaved, no bugger would have the guts to pass. Great way to get a gap on the first lap. I never tried it but he swore by it... he scared a lot of people in the pits too though cos they all thought he was a few kangaroos short. :D

flipper said:
A guy I used to race with reckoned that if you nailed the start, then rode erratically... swerved/weaved, no bugger would have the guts to pass. Great way to get a gap on the first lap. I never tried it but he swore by it... he scared a lot of people in the pits too though cos they all thought he was a few kangaroos short. :D
I'd sort of do that when I rode in the lower grades. Didn't want cowboys riding near me, so I'd ride like one myself. :p I'd start swinging on the wheel at 10 to go, rather than a couple of laps to go like if I was in B grade.:D

thunder said:
lol, McDonalds got the worst of that sponsorship. With every rider on a complimentary meals contract, The Cheetah is now the highest paid in the peloton, more than Bettini or Boonen. He downs about a million Big Macs per annum.

QUARANTA_BIOLO_PIST1343.jpg

I'm still pissing myself laughing about his guts. Its nearly as big as mine. Plus the maccas sponsorship.

This bloke was going to be the next great Italian sprinter. Even had a couple of Giro stage wins over Cippolini to back it up. Likes the disco, likes the girls, and obviously never misses a feed.

classic1 said:
I'm still pissing myself laughing about his guts. Its nearly as big as mine. Plus the maccas sponsorship.

This bloke was going to be the next great Italian sprinter. Even had a couple of Giro stage wins over Cippolini to back it up. Likes the disco, likes the girls, and obviously never misses a feed.
in defence of him, he won at the height of EPO and when the peloton still had the "piano tranquillo" enforced in the first week of the Giro, with Cipo getting sleeves cut off and getting off the bike to chat to women.

In that era, even Brownie could have won a stage.

He did win when he was 22 and 23 I think, maybe 24. Basically, was winning before Mcewen and Petacchi, and is younger than them too. Puts it into perspective.

He was damn fast, like Mcewen, had that expolsivity, coming out of wheels.

Yeah thunder, whatever, but he's a useless fat guido ******* now and thats what matters. :p

Did anyone watch that doco 'Dig' on SBS tonight about the bands the Dandy Warhols and the Brian Jonestown Massacre? Gold. That Anton Newcombe out of BJM is a pisser. I was roflmao at the on stage punch ups. :D

SBS rules. Top Gear-Ewan McGregor motorbike doc-Rockwiz-Dig were tops.