The Thread about Nothing....

classic1 said:
Yeah thunder, whatever, but he's a useless fat guido ******* now and thats what matters. :p

Did anyone watch that doco 'Dig' on SBS tonight about the Dandy Warhols and th Brian Jonestown Massacre? Gold. That Anton Newcombe out of BJM is a pisser. I was roflmao at the on stage punch ups. :D

SBS rules. Top Gear-Ewan McGregor motorbike doc-Rockwiz-Dig were tops.
yeah, I saw that about 5 years ago on cheap night at Lumiere in Lonsdale St Melbourne.

I turned up in a hoody sweatshirt, and all the guys there, it was packed, had Tim Roger's haircuts, black tight jeans, boots, and band t-shirts. Talk about a mono-culture. I almost said something.

I still go see my indie bands, Gaslight Radio, Eddy Current Suppression Ring, but hey, we don't have to be walking cliches.

The guys from Mercury Rev, shown briefly in the clip, are better known than the BJM's for their consumption habits :D

thunder said:
yeah, I saw that about 5 years ago on cheap night at Lumiere in Lonsdale St Melbourne.

I turned up in a hoody sweatshirt, and all the guys there, it was packed, had Tim Roger's haircuts, black tight jeans, boots, and band t-shirts. Talk about a mono-culture. I almost said something.
lol. 'i'm so individual'. its getting that the coolest person in the room anywhere you go is the one without tattoos or a farkin nosering.

thunder said:
I still go see my indie bands, Gaslight Radio, Eddy Current Suppression Ring, but hey, we don't have to be walking cliches.

The guys from Mercury Rev, shown briefly in the clip, are better known than the BJM's for their consumption habits :D
Softcocks and lightweights compared to Festina or Saeco. :D

flipper said:
A guy I used to race with reckoned that if you nailed the start, then rode erratically... swerved/weaved, no bugger would have the guts to pass. Great way to get a gap on the first lap. I never tried it but he swore by it... he scared a lot of people in the pits too though cos they all thought he was a few kangaroos short. :D
that's I reckon why top level Keirins are dodgy, coz EVERYONE is as crazy as your mate. Kennedy reckons some races he did were basically a 10 lap punch-on :p

bbp said:
Is anyone else doing the Highland Fling tomorrow?
How come you're doing that ******* of a thing [250, 100 or 50k?] but haven't done the 90k down to the gong?

In other news from the Tour of Hainan Rob Lyte had a a pretty good final stage fininshing .03 off the pace getting a point for a third in the second mountain stage (they are some pretty mean mountains) scoring 15 points in the points classification and finsihing 17 in gen class. 1.06 off the best time.

531Aussie said:
Kennedy reckons some races he did were basically a 10 lap punch-on :p
Our first lap was always like that. Some guys sat back a bit waiting to see who was left after the shitfight.
Soooo much aggression and adrenaline... scary as hell but if you weren't up front in the middle of it, you'd get gapped and spend the rest of the race spectating.
After a race there'd be guys with tyre marks on their leathers, bruises on arms from footpegs etc etc....
I remember at Broadford once, first lap, first corner (off camber exit), I got the holeshot and had one guy trying to come up the inside of me... just past the apex, he rolled off a bit which made him run wide so I was leaning on his fairing... I didn't realise 'till then that there was someone on my outside and when we started going a bit wide, guy on the outside ended up leaning on my bike. I think it frightened **** out of him and he ended up going off in a pretty big way and took out 3 other guys that were right on him. Race got flagged :(
$ kerching!! $ $ kerching!! $ :D

46kgToDate said:
How come you're doing that ******* of a thing [250, 100 or 50k?] but haven't done the 90k down to the gong?
I'm enjoying the mtb more at the moment, and particularly the mtb race vibe. Might have done the gong if the weather was better. I'll try and give it a go next year.

Just did the baby fling, the 50 odd. A decidedly average 3hr38, but at least I've got a good excuse. I was about 15min into the race and out of the saddle on the nasty little climb out of the first creek crossing, and sat back down too far forward on the saddle and bang, snapped the farken single bolt on the seat post saddle clamp. Bugger. Stop to pick up the pieces, that's not repairable, chuck it in the camelback and keep on going. Lasted another hour and a half without a saddle, had to walk up a couple of the longer climbs, just trying to will myself to get to the transition/halfway point, but I'm running out of legs, I'm eventually down to 7 pedal strokes then coast standing on opposite legs when I reach this lake with a cute old couple saying 5k to transition, oh looky there's a lovely park bench with a nice view over the dam, bugger it I'll stop and see if I can jerryrig the saddle back on using the seatpost quick release. Took me about 10 minutes but yeah the saddles holding, but with the post slammed the whole way down I look like some baggypanted suburban huckster. The knees hated it, never got more than a 90deg leg extension, but hey I'm sitting down. Roll into transition not feeling very positive about chances of finishing, find the lube tent with the guys from some shop in Narabeen, they've got tools but no parts, we scrounge around for ages, nothings gonna work until I look over their Park workstand, ooh looky the legs are held on with a quick release. "you blokes won't need that, sure it'll swing around like a ******* but it won't fall over, I'll give it back ya's in a couple of hours". Yes! Legends.
By the time I get out there it's 2hr10 into the race but the legs come back to life, I'm miles back in nuftyville so there's heaps of overtaking carrots to keep me motivated and I manage the second half in 1hr28.
Beer oclock.
Legs are ShaGGed but I feel like it's been a laugh until sadly my heart is broken when I spy Rochelle Gilmore wandering around looking gorgeous but holding hands with some tall guido *******. :D *****. How could she? :p

I did the Vegas to the beach ride today (Rotorua to Ohope). 90km of hammering with a couple of small hills chucked in for good measure. 2:35, 7 minutes slower than last year, but with a cross wind instead of last year's mighty tail wind.

Monster lunch at the in-laws after the ride, and I even won a minor spot prize as well.

The bunch of about 20 I was in was working really well with a rolling pace line ticking over nicely, till we got swallowed up by a large following bunch and then it was just chaos for the final 20km to the finish. No one would come through to do any work, so I just sat in about 10 from the front and saved myself for the last hill.

I'm liking the good weather we've had the past few days. Maybe summer is on the way :)

I'm going to have to resume buying and drinking Monteiths so I can build the bottle stocks up again and brew another batch of beer. I think a pale ale this time.

vette- My mate reckons tour of southland was the pits, but he still had fun, somehow:p

Jono L said:
vette- My mate reckons tour of southland was the pits, but he still had fun, somehow:p
Yeah, the exposure to southerlies there makes it a cold and miserbale place to be if the weather turns on you. But it's the biggest pro/elite bike race in NZ, well organised and the locals down that way support it big time.

Brian Fowler won it 8 times (6 in a row), and Wilchemy will be happy to know that Sarah Ulmer's dad won it back in the day as well.

Bwahahaha. Someone forgot the rule about being careful not to mix up **** cream and liniment.

From a newsclip in the NZ Herald:

"A calamity occured as Buster (not his real name) prepared for the brutal Pearl Izumi K1 cycle race from Whitianga to Thames last weekend. The inadvertant application of liniment to his 'tackle' caused instant discomfort. Discreet removal techniques using water and wet wipes proved ineffective in quelling the growing fire below, so he hot-tailed it to the local pharmacy. Delicate inquiry with the female assistant soon revealed he could expect the impact upon his stricken parts to be exacerbated by the heat generated through the ensuing cycling activity.

After careful analysis of the current situation and potential future impact, a rinse with methylated spirits was followed up with an application of Johnsons baby balm. This allowed the now smiling rider to reach the rear of the group 30 seconds before the race began. He went on to finish the 100km in a very commendable 3h57m".

hehe, to quote pezcycling news
'Simple lesson here. You don't want Embrocation residue on your hands when you rub them on your balls (or female partners). Frankly, the person at Qoleum who decided that Anti-Friction should be put in an identical tub as Embrocation should be taken behind the shed and beaten…'

bbp said:
Legs are ShaGGed but I feel like it's been a laugh until sadly my heart is broken when I spy Rochelle Gilmore wandering around looking gorgeous but holding hands with some tall guido *******. :D *****. How could she? :p
Not surprised. She used to have a picture of her own woggy looking early 90's Camaro or some-such fugly plastic seppo car on her website.:p

Jono L said:
hehe, to quote pezcycling news
'Simple lesson here. You don't want Embrocation residue on your hands when you rub them on your balls (or female partners). Frankly, the person at Qoleum who decided that Anti-Friction should be put in an identical tub as Embrocation should be taken behind the shed and beaten…'
You are young in the ways of the world, Grasshopper or you would know that a small amount of irritant applied to sensitive tissues is used in some circles to heighten sexual pleasure.

matagi said:
You are young in the ways of the world, Grasshopper or you would know that a small amount of irritant applied to sensitive tissues is used in some circles to heighten sexual pleasure.

Eeeewwwweeeehhhh. Gross.

matagi said:
So that's why my parents used to buy Dencorub so much:eek: