The Thread about Nothing....

Hey bbp - you guys playing the Excelsior this Sunday? 6pm?

Might drag myself down for a listen, if that's a yes.

Wilchemy said:
Don't think the Metro is the happening place it used to be, at least. Might even be dead but there was some talk of the Palace relocating there at one stage.

Hehe...The Underground..You could of said the Hippodrome, or Bojangles :eek:
lol. Yeah Nev, tell us about the time you saw Dame Nellie Melba perform

matagi said:
Hey bbp - you guys playing the Excelsior this Sunday? 6pm?

Might drag myself down for a listen, if that's a yes.
Yep and unfortunately it's the last one. New owners have cancelled gigs for the rest of the year citing 'renovations'. Looks like another rock pub bites the bullet.
Support on at 6.15ish, we're on at 7.30. See you there hopefully.

I went and looked at the collapsed open cut mine wall with all the other rubber-neckers last night. WTF were whose idiots thinking digging it in so close to the river? They are lucky nobody died. The Latrobe River is flowing about 1.5m lower than it was last weekend due to all the water now pissing into the open cut.

classic1 said:
I went and looked at the collapsed open cut mine wall with all the other rubber-neckers last night. WTF were whose idiots thinking digging it in so close to the river? They are lucky nobody died. The Latrobe River is flowing about 1.5m lower than it was last weekend due to all the water now pissing into the open cut.
It's all part of the government's cunning plan to build new dams.

The next stage of cycling life began this morning with another feeble attempt to work out how to feed and hydrate on a longerish ride.

Feeding on a bike is (IMHO) the ultimate torture for any carbon based lifeform resembling a human (or badsac). Your tastebuds crave for food that's about as exciting as a mountain bike ride on the nullabor. And I've found that no sooner does the mastication start than your body goes into such oxygen debt that your extremities get pins and needles and those cute little stars appear in front of you. And to top it off some clown always puts in an effort just when the brightest stars start to emerge.

And as for hydration, well I must be a human abberation because I can't go for much more than 120kays on a bidon of go-go juice and a bidon of water. Bugger me if I'm not riding with some poncy U23 ****** who not only has the gall to start said ride with just one bidon of water only 1/3 full but rubs salt into the wound by only having a single bidon-farkin-cage-bloody. And when we part ways at the end of the ride said mongrel has approximately 1/3 of a bidon of water left (just in case ;) )

Needless to say I take post ride rehydration seriously. After the ride I spent 3 hours in the blazing midday sun watching my kids frolick in the surf and listening to my skin shrivel and crack. But fear not! I'm now replenishing lost fluids as fast as i can with copious amounts of Becks. Remember those old ads on TV when you were young? "When headache strikes take Becks. Becks is better!" I'll let you know how it goes.

Any advice on how to survive a ride just longer than the time it takes for an ant to pee with only two bidon would be greatly appreciated. And feel free to send in your vilest recipes for eating on the cleat.

jock.c said:
And as for hydration, well I must be a human abberation because I can't go for much more than 120kays on a bidon of go-go juice and a bidon of water. Bugger me if I'm not riding with some poncy U23 ****** who not only has the gall to start said ride with just one bidon of water only 1/3 full but rubs salt into the wound by only having a single bidon-farkin-cage-bloody. And when we part ways at the end of the ride said mongrel has approximately 1/3 of a bidon of water left (just in case ;) )
Dare I say it your riding buddy is either-

1) Stupid, or,

2) Stupid

120k on two drink bottles cane be done, but why? Unless it's race just drink up then refill...

Jono L said:
120k on two drink bottles can be done, but why? Unless it's race...
Or unless you're finding out what is going to happen in a race under training conditions (as in "that's why..." oh forget it. You're only young).

jock.c said:
You're only young).
Jock
I am new to this long distance stuff but I find I can get through 85 - 90k without too much trouble on two bidons, after 40-50k I need something so I generally go for Gu but I can do 100 without any food. (The dietician says bananas are better). About every 20-30k after, I need another Gu. You are supposed to drink a lot of water with them and eat them before you need them. I reckon they actually help you burn fat. I generally go caffeine free 'cause the caffeine ones make me sing:eek: [weird]. You're supposed to go through a bidon an hour esp. on hot days. Perhaps you can take a six pack of Becks on your next 120k?

jock.c said:
The next stage of cycling life began this morning with another feeble attempt to work out how to feed and hydrate on a longerish ride.

Feeding on a bike is (IMHO) the ultimate torture for any carbon based lifeform resembling a human (or badsac). Your tastebuds crave for food that's about as exciting as a mountain bike ride on the nullabor. And I've found that no sooner does the mastication start than your body goes into such oxygen debt that your extremities get pins and needles and those cute little stars appear in front of you. And to top it off some clown always puts in an effort just when the brightest stars start to emerge.

Needless to say I take post ride rehydration seriously. After the ride I spent 3 hours in the blazing midday sun watching my kids frolick in the surf and listening to my skin shrivel and crack. But fear not! I'm now replenishing lost fluids as fast as i can with copious amounts of Becks. Remember those old ads on TV when you were young? "When headache strikes take Becks. Becks is better!" I'll let you know how it goes.

Any advice on how to survive a ride just longer than the time it takes for an ant to pee with only two bidon would be greatly appreciated. And feel free to send in your vilest recipes for eating on the cleat.
It's obviously time you discovered the joys of the camelback.
Free your mind of the expectations and folly of youth.
Fashion is for fixed gear freestylers.
You are above their taunts and slings
and their 1/3 filled arrows too.

The Endura bars are palatable to me
the good old banana shall never be forsaken.

Seven Becks and a lie down sounds pretty farken good too.

After 3 mtb races in six weeks I've got free Gu coming out of my ****
hang on that didn't sound quite right
nevertheless I couldn't imagine trying to get one of those to stay down while I'm making an effort
they work great but not if you're not getting a chance to back right off to get the ******* down.
I'm pretty new to all this gel ****
but the Hammer gels and Endura gels don't seem quite as cloying.
Bananas, muesli bars, and seriously these Endura zone bars, and good oldfashioned fruit and nut mix sit much better in the mouth and stomach for mine.
I'm also much happier having more water than I'm likely to need rather than less.
Can't you just pull the age and wisdom and **** card at some point and get the bastards to stop for a pastry and a coffee and a bidon fill?

jock.c said:
Or unless you're finding out what is going to happen in a race under training conditions (as in "that's why..." oh forget it. You're only young).
Yeh, fair poitn, good to know how you handle it but I wouldn't be makin a habit of it

maybe just chuck another bottle in your pocket, or, good prehydration....

1L+ an hour then stop about 2 hours before your race so that you get all the excess out, makes a difference.

bbp said:
but the Hammer gels and Endura gels don't seem quite as cloying.
Bananas, muesli bars, and seriously these Endura zone bars, and good oldfashioned fruit and nut mix sit much better in the mouth and stomach for mine.
?
The ol'leppin squeezy is an easy one to stomach, kinda weird at first, a little 'spicey':confused: , but not too thick like the gu's

Jock

Need I say it

HARDEN THE **** UP

:p

On a more serious note, jam sandwiches with no butter and the crust peeled off are still eaten by those who earn a living riding bicycles, as are 'nanas and small jam tarts. Fruit cake or date loaf is good in the cooler months IMO, and is easy to scoff down on the move.

The modern 'energy gels' were just coming in as I came to the realisation that pro cycling wasn't necessarily a good career option, so I have limited experience of them. As these products generally have the look, consistancy and I assume taste of camel semen, this may not have been a bad choice IMO.

Interesting evening.
I think I'm a girlfriend down
and most definitely a Riedel glass and it's full content of Gulden Draak down
after invading a neighbours' party and getting a little too emphatic.

I need to work on my debating skills
some of those lawyers kicked my **** with my defense of cultural relativism.
Who knew I was a friend of Taliban wife acid burning?
I certainly didn't.

Fortunately there's another GD in the fridge to sooth my savaged soul
and opportune me to encourage you all to vote for the rights of the little people again.

Capitalism. Sure it's better than fundamentalism but I'm sorry, I'm still a tad wary of it's supremacy over all other reason.

oh yeah...

Gulden Draak.

That does sooth my ravaged soul
mother ****ing lawyers were trying to tell me that Belgium is the paedofile capital of the world.
Once more they trumped me. I've got no idea. They make some decent beer though.

<it's soothe isn't it?>

WTF???? I just saw an ad for a "ropeless skipping rope" - no really, two payments of $39.95 get you these two plastic thingies with no rope attached. What's wrong with just jumping up and down on the spot? Are people really that stupid and gullible?

It's not April 1st, is it? :confused: