The Thread about Nothing....

I'll put forward a list of my worst.

Sale - I just farking hate the joint. Cliquey people and National Party heartland. Slows me down when I'm driving east.

Orbost - Been into the town once (its just off the hwy). I immediately worked out why everyone I know from Orbost got the **** out of there as soon as they were old enough. Which was 7yo in some cases.

Leongatha - looks to be a relatively nice town......until you meet the people. Should be removed to SA immediately.

Queenstown TAS - Just weird

Zeehan TAS - We parked in the main street, only car there (at a 45 angle to horizontal because the street is bulged in the centre), and walked into the General Store come Newagents to buy a drink. The bloke in there says 'want to buy my shop mate'. I quietly paid from my drink, jumped in the car, got the missus to lock her door and drove off without looking back.

Gladstone QLD - my sister lives there. Its a dump. I thought my hometown was bad, but 'Glady' not only has power stations, but an aluminium smelter, aluminium ore processing thingy, docks, and stinking hot muggy weather 10 months of the year, and is populated by hillbilly central Queesnlanders. Aye but.

Banana QLD. Hot, dry, dusty, middle of nowhere, infested by bullants and blowflies. Not even a good spot to stop for a ****.

Kingaroy QLD. The 70yo bloke that served me at the servo was wearing a shirt & tie. Kooky. As cold as Ballarat in winter. Joh country.

Eden NSW - Don't let the name or the beautiful spectacular location fool you. I couldn't put my finger on it until I mentioned it to a bloke at work. Its the people. Surly bastards, the lot of them. It's like 'how dare you spend money in our town'. Hill billies, loggers, truckies, cannery workers, fishermen, all with chips on their shoulders.

Adelaide SA - Its full of South Australians! And weird serial killers (they don't just kill you, they have to find inventive painful ways to kill you), child abusers and kidnappers, gheys, and religious types. They have a genuine bug up there **** about Victorians (who generally don't even think about SA). Stay where you are Adelaide, I'm not coming over.

I should also note that for some strange reason all the above towns (ex Adelaide), other than for maybe a few koories, are white anglo. You never see Italians, Greeks, asians or any other immigrants in them. I wonder why?

matagi said:
I've got a couple to add (in no particular order)

Moree (just close your eyes and drive through really quickly)

Narrandera (unless you fancy food poisoning)

Maitland (the sooner they bypass this place the better)

Warwick (it's in Qld, 'nuff said)

The only worthwhile thing about Narrandera is that it the nearest commercial airport to Leeton, and Yanco where I lived and worked for 3 years

jock.c said:
Ma,

The Maitland bypass was completed in 1986. Don't tell me you're still following the route you grandfather taught you all when you were just a little girl on a pony!
What bypass? The New England goes through several kilometres of slow moving suburban hell ....... although to be honest, I only drive that way when the road through Broke and Wollombi is closed by floods.

classic1 said:
Adelaide SA - Its full of South Australians! And weird serial killers (they don't just kill you, they have to find inventive painful ways to kill you), child abusers and kidnappers, gheys, and religious types. They have a genuine bug up there **** about Victorians (who generally don't even think about SA). Stay where you are Adelaide, I'm not coming over.
Dunno what it is about South Australians, but they have a thing about "abos" .... we did a bit of a car tour with some people from Adelaide en route to a car club meet in Orange and we had two nights in Dubbo so we could see the zoo (only reason to go to Dubbo IMHO). The first thing the South Australians asked about was the "race riots" in Dubbo. We were like, WTF? What riots? But they were actually serious, it seems some little drunken brawl from a few years ago received huge press over in SA - looting, pillaging, overturned cars, whole streets alight - that sort of thing.

Anyway, they clearly didn't believe us when we told them there were no mobs of marauding kooris causing mayhem and beating up innocent white folk. So they rang the local cop shop to ask where the safest place to stay was and on the copper's recommendation, booked into this place on the main drag into town. Imagine their horror when they arrived and discovered it was owned and operated by kooris. I nearly PMSL. Irony, gotta love it. :D

I know some blokes who went up to race the Dubbo wheelrace years back who camped by the river with the abos. Reckoned they had a great night and the brothers were top blokes. Comedy gold by that copper.

I was on a work-conference a few years back and a few people were banging on about aboriginals in general. After giving everyone the ***** with uninformed third hand accounts it turns out the only ones there who could say they personally knew any koories were my boss who grew up in Townsville, two others who were originally from Wagga and me. And I don't go around pretending I'm close personal buddies with any koories either, work with a couple, went to school with them or played footy as a kid with some.

People generally STFU quick smart when you ask them 'Do you actually know or have you met any aboriginal people?' Normally its a 'no', or 'I met some on a trip to Uluru'. No fuggin idea. Its amazing that the average Australian has had little or no contact with aboriginals except maybe on a holiday up north.

matagi said:
Dunno what it is about South Australians, but they have a thing about "abos" .... we did a bit of a car tour with some people from Adelaide en route to a car club meet in Orange and we had two nights in Dubbo so we could see the zoo (only reason to go to Dubbo IMHO). The first thing the South Australians asked about was the "race riots" in Dubbo. We were like, WTF? What riots? But they were actually serious, it seems some little drunken brawl from a few years ago received huge press over in SA - looting, pillaging, overturned cars, whole streets alight - that sort of thing.

Anyway, they clearly didn't believe us when we told them there were no mobs of marauding kooris causing mayhem and beating up innocent white folk. So they rang the local cop shop to ask where the safest place to stay was and on the copper's recommendation, booked into this place on the main drag into town. Imagine their horror when they arrived and discovered it was owned and operated by kooris. I nearly PMSL. Irony, gotta love it. :D
is not koori the victorian tribe, but been co-opted by us ignorant white folk for generic aboriginal?

thunder said:
is not koori the victorian tribe, but been co-opted by us ignorant white folk for generic aboriginal?
Nah, it's a generic term for aboriginal tribes from the East coast, I believe as used by aborigines. In the NT/FNQ, the word is murri (not entirely sure of the spelling)

mikeg said:
The only worthwhile thing about Narrandera is that it the nearest commercial airport to Leeton, and Yanco where I lived and worked for 3 years
First and third saturdays of each month....the Narrandera boys drive up and down the main st. of Leeton and the night ends in a punchup.
Second and fourth Saturdays of each month....the Leeton boys drive up and down the main street of Narrandera and the night ends in a punchup.

classic1 said:
I missed the turn on the Newell hwy from Coonabarabran to Narrabri half asleep once and ended in Gunedah. Drove from Gunedah to Narrabri in approx 45 minutes. Was sitting on 150 and didn't drop below 120km the whole way. :p
HA! I only went to Surfers once, in '85 with a couple of mates, then stopped at Byron Bay for a few days on the way back. I didn't mind Byron Bay back then -- dunno what it's like now. I left my favourite footy up there. :( :p

We were farkin stoopid driving up the Newell. One of me mates says to me that I couldn't lose my licence interstate, so as soon as we got over the VIC/NSW border, I had my foot flat to the floor of my XD all the way through NSW. ) I can't believe I did that. The only thing slowing me down was the 7'2" surf ski strapped to the roof. We bascially sat on about 150 to 160 the whole way. For memory, I couldn't get over about 175kph with the board on the roof and 3 of us in the car, even on the down hill bits.

We drove home down the coast, and I got busted doing 136kph in farkin Newcastle, so, yeah, that's my memory of Newcastle :)

anyhoo, I'm not the travelling type -- I'm more the territorial type: I reckon I'd like to have a big house on top of a hill, and sit there guarding it with my dog for the next 50 years :D

classic1 said:
You need to post more IMO Geoff.:p
Yet another forum member who appears to have more than a passing acquaintance with the more.....shall we say "esoteric" aspects of German culture.
German Gheytimes have extra chocolate sauce, had you noticed? ;)

classic1 said:
I know some blokes who went up to race the Dubbo wheelrace years back who camped by the river with the abos. Reckoned they had a great night and the brothers were top blokes. Comedy gold by that copper.

I was on a work-conference a few years back and a few people were banging on about aboriginals in general. After giving everyone the ***** with uninformed third hand accounts it turns out the only ones there who could say they personally knew any koories were my boss who grew up in Townsville, two others who were originally from Wagga and me. And I don't go around pretending I'm close personal buddies with any koories either, work with a couple, went to school with them or played footy as a kid with some.

People generally STFU quick smart when you ask them 'Do you actually know or have you met any aboriginal people?' Normally its a 'no', or 'I met some on a trip to Uluru'. No fuggin idea. Its amazing that the average Australian has had little or no contact with aboriginals except maybe on a holiday up north.
I rode the Dubbo Wheelrace years ago and stayed at the YMCA where there was a Aboriginal disco happening. The thought did cross my mind that I may not see the morning in one piece as there was a fair bit of yahooing going on but made it out alive!

heinkel12 said:
I rode the Dubbo Wheelrace years ago and stayed at the YMCA where there was a Aboriginal disco happening. The thought did cross my mind that I may not see the morning in one piece as there was a fair bit of yahooing going on but made it out alive!
?
http://updatecenter.britannica.com/eb/image?binaryId=60122&rendTypeId=4

Farkin cold here today, 10C on the coast with snow down to 500m. That's only happened about once in the past 5 years this far north.

The ABs play the Boks in Wellington tonight, apparently it'll be about 0C with the wind chill.

bbp said:
That place just north of The Entrance near where Al lives NSW
Lets just say that while I was merrily riding along I wasn't sure if it was Hitchy or Earl that came running out to either try to kill me or say ghday. I think it was Earl. Good sprint training.
Top riding territory that bit of road.
I would have thought anyone who lives or frequents around Darlinghurst wouldn't be scared of anything. Especially an ex South Oztralian:p

62vette said:
Farkin cold here today, 10C on the coast with snow down to 500m. That's only happened about once in the past 5 years this far north.

The ABs play the Boks in Wellington tonight, apparently it'll be about 0C with the wind chill.
Global warming's to blame

Go Pies!!!!!!!

I don't care if we win ugly, as long as we win.

BTW, don't you people in NSW know how to curate a ground properly? That thing they played on tonight looked like a spud paddock.