The Thread about Nothing....

Sorry to interrupt our regular programming with an actual bike question, but I was wondering for a recreational cyclist, whether there was any real reason to have STI/Brifters/Those Thingies You Brake and Shift with?

I never race road and don't see myself doing so in the foreseeable future, and honestly, when I was using downtube shifters I never really saw a problem with them. They worked, weighed nothing, and were cheap.

I did the sums too, and you can save over $150 and 200g by forgoing the hulking great STI levers in favour of Carbon Record levers and Dura-Ace dowtube shifters.

Crazy or Cool?

Thylacine said:
whether there was any real reason?...?
I guess they're a teeny bit safer, coz there's always gunna be that moment when you need to slam on your brakes right when you're changing gears, but... if you have your brakes on the 'proper/Euro way' :) (right lever to front caliper), it wouldn't be as bad, assuming, of course, that you'd be using your right on the down-tube shfiters.

Thylacine said:
Sorry to interrupt our regular programming with an actual bike question, but I was wondering for a recreational cyclist, whether there was any real reason to have STI/Brifters/Those Thingies You Brake and Shift with?

Crazy or Cool?
The only reason I'd have STI jobbies on a tourer/commuter would be because I find they're so much more comfy than the brake-only ones. Otherwise, downtube thingies are "Cool."

The only sin on any bike - and this is a mortal sin - are bar end changers on drop bars. Especially when you incongruously offset that setup with a PowerTap.:D

Thylacine said:

I never race road and don't see myself doing so in the foreseeable future, and honestly, when I was using downtube shifters I never really saw a problem with them. They worked, weighed nothing, and were cheap.

I did the sums too, and you can save over $150 and 200g by forgoing the hulking great STI levers in favour of Carbon Record levers and Dura-Ace dowtube shifters.

Crazy or Cool?

I have the 1994 Milan-Sanremo on video. It's the one where Giorgio Furlan SMASHES them on the Poggio using downtube levers. 95% of the field would have had ergopower or STI, but not Giorgio. Of course him smashing them had nothing to do with EPO.

classic1 said:
I have the 1994 Milan-Sanremo on video. It's the one where Giorgio Furlan SMASHES them on the Poggio using downtube levers. 95% of the field would have had ergopower or STI, but not Giorgio. Of course him smashing them had nothing to do with EPO.

When you only use two gears on the way up you hardly need some new fangled shifters. I mean 5% grade in 53x14 and a 16 on the steep bit you only need to change once you go pop and can't keep up. :p

gplama said:
But since yesterdays sex change, I need a womens specific saddle as I don't want to damage my new 'women bits'. Now I'm getting all emotional and want to eat chocolate. :D

Eat too much of the chocolate and you'll be like most women cyclists - in need of a "wide load" sticker for the back of your shorts...

Jono L said:
I am like cat, always land on my feet. Just happen to break bones at the same time.

Dude, have you been attending Denis Menchov's bike handling school or did your 67Kg pelvis give out after forcing out a massive turd following a few days of a 'low fiber' diet? I'm guessing the glute problem is related to the broken pelvis...

Hopefully the docs down there are better than England's NHS - I close to fecking useless.

For some reason I thought you were ~ 63Kg. Get back on the bike soon and make more people suffer going up hills, foolio.

classic1 said:

blue/silver fade De Rosa Titanio, Record, Shamals.

tasty.

swampy1970 said:
For some reason I thought you were ~ 63Kg. Get back on the bike soon and make more people suffer going up hills, foolio.
At 189cm, if I was 63KG I would be getting blown away in the smallest of crosswinds:p

WARNING: Nev is going get all excited over this photo!
33.BMP

Jono L said:
At 189cm, if I was 63KG I would be getting blown away in the smallest of crosswinds:p

You're that tall are you? No wonder that Cervelo looked so small.
Sorry to hear about your injuries, be gentle with that hip hey, you don't wanna end up with necrosis like Flandis.

Here's some more nutters for ya, can't remember if I've posted these before.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttz5oPpF1Js&NR=1"]YouTube - Extreme Base Jumping in Wingsuits[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHlOvhlKPvs"]YouTube - Possibly the best base jumping / wingsuit video ever![/ame]