The Thread about Nothing....

531Aussie said:
The old silver ones, right?

Yeah - exactly like the ones posted a couple of pages ago. I'd say just like the ones in the avatar of me on the time trial bike but that's too feckin' small...

swampy1970 said:
Shamals are really stiff - they make those Mavic Krapysiums seem positively flexy... I still got my ol' pair of Shamals but I'm betting that after a decade of hanging up in a garage that regularly sees 50C in the rafters on most summer days the grease has probably turned into some dried out putty like substance... God only knows what the tub glue is like - those tires are either on for the remainder of the life of the wheel or the tire's gonna roll the first corner they see. Being the betting man I am I'll give good odds on needing a curved chisel to get the damned glue off...
I see you have been well and truly assimilated.

matagi said:
I see you have been well and truly assimilated.

For the most part I am but microsoft word reminds me of my youth by reminding me that colour is spelled color...

... other things like hand gestures often lead to confusion. The V sign as given by Winston Churchill is universally accepted as "the peace sign". Do that the other way around in England and it is (or maybe now 'was' due to Blightly becoming more Americanised than America) rather offensive - here it means the same ol' peace... It took me a few scuffles here to figure that one out. :D

... but I've been here 10 years and I still have to think which coin is the nickle and which is a dime, which isn't a good think. I expect 'old timers' disease to kick in within the next 10 years and spoil what "newisms" I've learned the past decade. LOL

classic1 said:
Glorious rubbish Thylo, glorious rubbish.

Derosa made Vandenbrouke a titanio the other year when he rode for Aqua Sapone after a late season transfer. They could turn it around quicker than a custom carbon King. Sht it looked the business.

svandenbroucke_4897.jpg

Beautiful.

I had a De Rosa Tecno Nuovo made from Columbus TSX or something. Weighed as much as a LandCruiser....but a bloody brilliant bike. Had a Cinelli Grammo on it for a while too...

cs124 said:
OK, serious question...

What frame builders, bike companies and fabrication shops to you rate?

From a design/geometry perspective, nobody. From a fabrication perspective, I'll mention the 'knowns' here because I want to leave the little guys a secret, but for Ti I like Steve Potts and Kent Eriksen, for steel or Ti Carl Strong, for lugged work Dave Bohm @ Bohemian, Dave Kirk, Bruce Gordon....love Dario Pegorettis bikes......I always forget people when I get asked this question so I'm sure there's more. Scapins are nice.

But those Thylacine bikes? Oh boy, they're the nicest of the lot.

swampy1970 said:
For the most part I am but microsoft word reminds me of my youth by reminding me that colour is spelled color...

... other things like hand gestures often lead to confusion. The V sign as given by Winston Churchill is universally accepted as "the peace sign". Do that the other way around in England and it is (or maybe now 'was' due to Blightly becoming more Americanised than America) rather offensive - here it means the same ol' peace... It took me a few scuffles here to figure that one out. :D

... but I've been here 10 years and I still have to think which coin is the nickle and which is a dime, which isn't a good think. I expect 'old timers' disease to kick in within the next 10 years and spoil what "newisms" I've learned the past decade. LOL

The V sign with the knuckles facing out is an insult dating back to the 100 years war. It was given by British archers to their French enemies to show they were capable of fighting. French soldiers would amputate British archers' string fingers to render them incapable of drawing a bow if they were released or escaped.

I've been reading about that period in history lately :p

531Aussie said:
The old silver ones, right?

Here you go... a blast from the past, complete with shaved legs and single butted 531 "tandem" tubing (cause the downtube was too long for the double butted set)

TimeTrialMule.jpg

62vette said:
The V sign with the knuckles facing out is an insult dating back to the 100 years war. It was given by British archers to their French enemies to show they were capable of fighting. French soldiers would amputate British archers' string fingers to render them incapable of drawing a bow if they were released or escaped.

I've been reading about that period in history lately :p

As long as you're reading us periods in history and not a history of (someones) periods it's all good. :p

gplama said:
That you Swapmonster? That is slick positioning.

That's me. The position came from several months of testing on a fully adjustable ergometer.

Thylo, those are 700c wheels. My coach was also a design engineer at the best engineering University in England so he had a good idea about physics and engineering "stuff." The bike was supposed to only be a 'test mule' hence the 531 tubing. It took about a dozen calls to different frame builders before one agreed to build it with the disclaimer that if it rode like **** it wasn't his fault. From what I remember the dimensions are:

Seat 19.5"
Top Tube 25.5"
Seat Angle 82
Head Angle 73
... and a fairly substancial fork rake.

The end result was a bike that went around corners as good as my damned road bike... Weight was split pretty much 50/50 when I wasn't sat on the nose of the saddle and with the top tube being that long and the short stem I could ride out the saddle without, as Classic1 would put it, being poo-jabbed.

The 'real' bike never got done cause I stopped racing the following season due to finding a 'career' that got in the way. I'd gotten as far as getting prices from Cormina and verifying that they could build it.

531Aussie said:
Woah! I was gunna say.

I read in an old magazine the other day that Rominger used a 71 degree seat tube for his hour record!

rom*****bikeangles.jpg

He did. The bike became known as the Colnago 55.291...or something.

Twin FIR discs, integrated ITM prototype bars, Dura-Ace track bits. First ride on the fixed wheel @ Bordeaux, he was rolling too slow and fell, slid down the banking. Gold!

Thylacine said:
From a design/geometry perspective, nobody.
Why so? I don't think anyone is impressed with the 5 sizes fits all mentality of the but there a few manufacturers who still make a reasonable range of sizes. One thing I will say though is that not many, including the beloved Dario Pegoretti, spec appropriate fork rakes for their smaller sizes.

Thylacine said:
From a fabrication perspective, I'll mention the 'knowns' here because I want to leave the little guys a secret...
That was half of the point of my question! El Camino Fab, Primus Mootry?

ed073 said:
He did. The bike became known as the Colnago 55.291...or something.

Twin FIR discs, integrated ITM prototype bars, Dura-Ace track bits. First ride on the fixed wheel @ Bordeaux, he was rolling too slow and fell, slid down the banking. Gold!
Yep, I've still got the issue of Winning with the article. I scanned the pictures ages ago, so I'll load them up.