The Thread about Nothing....

All I have to say this morning is......WTF was Catherine Deveny thinking?

Interesting comments from the peanut gallery -
"Dear Catherine,
From George Bernard Shaw:
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the conditions that surround him… The unreasonable man adapts surrounding conditions to himself… All progress depends on the unreasonable man.”
You are one of the more unreasonable men in this fair town, Catherine and you’re needed today, more than ever.
With the advent of neo-conservatism and its xenophobia and fundamentalism – its prosecution of free-thought: are we surprised that you have been sacked for humour that is unpalatable? Is not the “Shirley-Templelizing” of Bindi Irwin more unpalatable?
You’re not going to be popular with most people, Catherine – NEVER, because you challenge them.This requires them to rouse from their mediocrity: to poke their heads through the cloud of popular opinion, to straighten their backs that are bent-over double, under the weight of mortgages, Telstra shares, huge TV screens and their aspirations for gentrification.
I am sure you will be replaced by a female, who writes in a nice, missionary style, which appeals to all the mums and dads out there. After all, isn’t that what we want: more of the same?
Well done Catherine. Sorry you lost your job. There will be other gigs and lots of us are looking forward to them. x"
"Hey,
Sorry to hear you got boned from The Age. I enjoyed your columns, and often have marvelled at your ability to combine passion, outrage and incredulity with astuteness.
That said, I think a couple of your Logie tweets smacked of kamikaze humour, and to be honest, I’m disappointed.
Not because I’m offended, but because you had a great platform there at The Age, and I personally believe the world needs as many athiests getting good chunks of copy space as it can get.
To see that go … and all over a couple of glib tweets … I hope you learn from this. The comment about Bindi Irwin wasn’t the magna carta; it wasn’t funny, it wasn’t clever, and it wasn’t something you’d spent months working on. It was a throwaway line; it could have been partnered with an equally disposable apology, and in a couple of weeks it all could have gone back to normal. And to be honest, I don’t think even a writer of your calibre could retro-fit that tweet to prosecute a meaningful essay on red carpet celebrity culture.
Anyway, I look forward to reading your columns wherever they next appear, and I hope tomorrow works out better than today."
I actually find the double standard appalling.
Bert chats up Tahnee (she has just turned 18), feigns giving her his room key (that’s my keycard not the business card bit) and all is fine (not to mention his horridness towards k.d. Lang).
It appears, to act like a lecherous dirty old man, making a young girl look uncomfortable is fine all because you are considered a legend in TV, yet to make a few quips on Twitter is not to be tolerated.

Hitchy said:
(sound of crickets chirping)…19 hours since a post!, in TAN terms that’s about 4 years!...what’s happening

I'm too busy keeping up with the ongoing unwanted life running dialogue of people on Facebook, Twitter, Forums, and anywhere else they let people roam free with a keyboard....

gplama said:
Inappropriate sure, controversial yes. But at least it was interesting! World lacks interesting. She's doing her bit.

Good.

I commented that I thought her column would be taken over by Mia Friedman *chuckle*

gplama said:
Inappropriate sure, controversial yes. But at least it was interesting! World lacks interesting. She's doing her bit.

Good.

You're right, the world does lack interesting but Catherine Deveny?

... predictable, bitter and attention seeking.

The challenge for The Age will be to replace her with someone "worthy" and not a populist safe choice.

Hitchy said:
(sound of crickets chirping)…19 hours since a post!, in TAN terms that’s about 4 years!...what’s happening, Lama not won anymore gold medals?, Nev not brought 3 new bikes & changed his crank length twice?...:D
Ha. Well, I'm gunna stop buying cheap aluminium frames for a while, but I was actually rebuilding my $100 Norco for about the 5th time last night, and I've only had it for about 18 months! :D It failed as an 'everyday' bike; failed as a 'regular wet day' bike; failed as a 'long crank' bike, so I've just put some 8sp junk on it and made it a 'super wet day' bike. :D

Hitchy said:
I’m surprised Classo isn’t using the ‘P’ word (that’d be ‘premiership :D), every other Maggie supporter I know is…

You are confusing me with all those St Kilda supporters.

lol at bigfooty forums. They are calling St Kilda, with their horrible to watch game plan, 'St Rapeflood'.

cs124 said:
You're right, the world does lack interesting but Catherine Deveny?

... predictable, bitter and attention seeking.

The challenge for The Age will be to replace her with someone "worthy" and not a populist safe choice.

You forgot 'not funny'. Nor is that cnut from Heyfield Wil 'one L' Anderson. Saying something then laughing 'herherherher' at the end of it does not constitute amusing. Plus he looks like a smack addict.

classic1's unfunny cnut list

Catherine Deveny
Wil Anderson
All the Good News Week Team
Jerry Seinfeld
Russell 'king of unfunny cnuts' Brand

When my turn to do a bit of work came up it was straight into a block headwind. My legs were completely stuffed after 5 puny km!!! Lucky the guy who'd just pulled for about 40km had freshened up

jstnice said:
When my turn to do a bit of work came up it was straight into a block headwind. My legs were completely stuffed after 5 puny km!!! Lucky the guy who'd just pulled for about 40km had freshened up

Welcome. We never pull a turn on the front around here, except for Thunder. He's more of a taker than a giver.

classic1 said:
classic1's unfunny cnut list

Catherine Deveny
Wil Anderson
All the Good News Week Team
Jerry Seinfeld
Russell 'king of unfunny cnuts' Brand

Agreed and....

7pm Project team
Darryl (why the fcuk is Hey Hey on a Wed???) Sommers
Burt (grandfather of unfunny cnuts) Newton

Its now to cold to train, I'm hanging the bike up until September 2010 and will spend 20 hours a week at pubs instead. Anyway, I just thought I would put that out there, i'm not an alcoholic or anything more of a summer athlete.

LordLeighGungie said:
Agreed and....

7pm Project team
Darryl (why the fcuk is Hey Hey on a Wed???) Sommers
Burt (grandfather of unfunny cnuts) Newton
7pm Project - yeah can wear that. I still would hit Carrie HARD though!
Daryl Somers - cunnox. + infinity. Don't actually remember anyone seriously claiming he was funny, except if you find extreme narcissism amusing.
Bert Newton - depends on the circumstance. Funny as cancer on channel nine. **** funny hysterical on that morning show he hosted for years on channel 10.

gplama said:

Good.
Dunno about interesting in regards to Catherine Deveney.

Extremely unfunny woman too.