The Thread about Nothing....

Awesome read so far....

Q: And then, when did you move over to AIS?
A: 1991, straight after the Worlds I went with Charlie Walsh.
Q: And how were the Charlie Walsh days?
A: ****in’ horrible.
Q: Why?
A: Biggest ******** ever. But to a seventeen year old kid, he was a ****in’
Q: Yeah. Well, just as...
A: He just burnt riders.
Q: I’ve never really talked to anyone about Charlie, but I have my ideas of what it
must have been like. I’m trying to put it so I can see the thing at the same time
now. One thing [name] said to me, was they took my son when he was thirteen.
And then he was travelling the world with all these men and we just had no control
over him ever again. And he learned everything from this bunch of guys he was
with.
A: Bunch of criminals.
Q: Why do you say that?
A: [Other Persons Name] and guys like that? ****. Man, they are just, they’re crazy
****in’ guys. Crazy. [Other Persons Name], man, they ****in’ corrupted him, big
time. They were taking him to prostitutes when he was ****in’ sixteen years old,
fifteen years old…

Reactions: gplama

Originally Posted by gplama .

Awesome read so far....

I like the last sentence here:

Cycling has a long and ambiguous attitude to doping, complicated by the nuances of endurance sport and an internalised sense of self-protection within the industry, summarised colloquially by the expression, ‘don’t spit in the soup’. Examples of whistleblowing within professional cycling, whether from cyclists, ex-cyclists, team staff or journalists, have generally met with mixed reactions from the sport. To that end, the construction of anti-doping policy initiatives has, in recent years, taken a fairly accusatory and aggressive perspective dominated by a rationale of deterrence. It is difficult to argue against the impact of that approach. As most interview participants recognised, it has reduced the incidence and extremity of doping practice. Having said that, we might immediately qualify it by recognising that most of the major anti-doping successes have not been the result of sports anti-doping law, but the result of the intervention of the criminal justice system of the state. Neither solution is sustainable in the long-term, and nor should they be considered the only tools that could be used in anti-doping policy.

AIS. I was told once by someone in a position to know that the Aussie team should have won 4 or 5 teams pursuit titles and an Olympics in the late 80s/early 90s, but Walsh flogged them so much they couldn't come up. Think of all the gun riders who came up through that period who never really made it at the top level, even though they had the class. There were a heap of them, but they were burnt out.

Only the real beasts like O'Grady and McGee survived that regime. There should have been 20 riders at least from that era from 88-00 who should have got pro contracts. Instead you had that many blokes burnt out. Funny that the results improved and the numbers coming through to turn pro increased when Walsh farked off.

Originally Posted by classic1 .

AIS. I was told once by someone in a position to know that the Aussie team should have won 4 or 5 teams pursuit titles and an Olympics in the late 80s/early 90s, but Walsh flogged them so much they couldn't come up. Think of all the gun riders who came up through that period who never really made it at the top level, even though they had the class. There were a heap of them, but they were burnt out.

Only the real beasts like O'Grady and McGee survived that regime. There should have been 20 riders at least from that era from 88-00 who should have got pro contracts. Instead you had that many blokes burnt out. Funny that the results improved and the numbers coming through to turn pro increased when Walsh farked off.
One of the best stories McGrory tells is from this farkin unbelievably vicious track session that was just all out abuse, and at the end of they all got rewarded with 1 M&M. Sick bastards!

Walsh isn't the only nutcase from that era. There are still blokes around coaching masters and youngsters who insist on the "if you've got a spare hour you should be floggin yourself" regime. On the bike, that is. And you look at the people they coach, and they're just so utterly miserable all the time. They're like the Catholics of the cycling world... feeling guilty about everything all the time. No rest, and god forbid you have any fun.

Originally Posted by bbp .

It does matter to me, though. It's either a free for all or it's not. Not is more decent. For the 'your kiddie' factor alone. A good switched on year round nutritionist and osteopath is quite possibly more important than the odd illegal stimulant, which will still favour the more affluent competitor, but the line has to be drawn in the sand somewhere.

I do get ****** by this current hatred of Landis though. His father in law killed himself for ***** sake, most likely about this ****, and Landis pays the price, while his teachers get away with blue bloody murder? Without whistleblowers this capitalist system we're so enamored of would be a *********** on earth. Oh wait.

Sing, Floyd, sing. As if your life depends on it.
I'd argue that EPO would provide more benefit than listening to a couple of quacks. If you could get away with keeping your hematocrit pegged in the high 40% range, you could eat pies and bags of chips all day and ride like a mofo. That said, I may have just visited the wrong few dozen nutritionists and osteopaths, chirocpacters and other 'smoke and mirror' type mini-me witch doctors...

... just give me a physio that knows their sh1t, can get stuff fixed in one visit and reminds me that anything that's based upon unfounded beliefs should be avoided like the plague. That and reaffirming the belief that good honest training and putting the work in will do more than "science" we could learn of artsyfarstymedical.com or a quick google search.

As for Landis he made his own bed. Funny how life was grand while he was upto the gils in bags of blood on Postal and Phonak (if that was the case) when it suited him and the money was rolling in... and now that noone will give him a ride, especially after almost killing the last team he was in - one that was a foundation to help kids for farks sake, he's now bleating because it's the only way that people will listen to the pathetic sack o' sh1te. It's not about "I need to come clean and it's for my conscience..." it's about him wanting the attention and the money. If someone would have given him a ride with a good team, a fat paycheck and an IV stand with "stuff" to infuse himself with do you think he'd be doing this now? F*ck no... Face facts. The guy didn't even put in enough training during his ban to come back to the sport at a descent level and can't even hang with the domestic US Cat1 guys. Sorry Floyd, recently you have become the personification of FAIL. Take the seat next to Paul Kimmage and please kindly STFU.

Originally Posted by paulambry . they're just so utterly miserable all the time. They're like the Catholics of the cycling world... feeling guilty about everything all the time. No rest, and god forbid you have any fun.
Ha! That's like the gag in Spanglish (yeah, ok, I watched Spanglish the other night, and it was ****) when Adam Sandler is trying to communicate with the Mexican chick who doesn't speak English. After an argument, he goes: "ok, I feel guilty. Do you understand me?"
The chick's daughter interprets the response: "Yes, believe me, we know what guilt is! We're Catholic,"

Booom Boome

Originally Posted by matagi .

Just caught an ad for the Footy Show - apparently John Farnham will be performing.

I thought he was retired - how many comebacks has he had now? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/confused.gif
I think Johnny retired, this is John.

Perhaps we can all go riding in our T shirts?
John, Floyd, Paz Vega, O'Grady Hogan, Lance that would be a TAN ride.
Move the TDU to Melbourne - I can see it all now - its really happening, oh sorry, wrong phial.

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

As for Landis he made his own bed. Funny how life was grand while he was upto the gils in bags of blood on Postal and Phonak (if that was the case) when it suited him and the money was rolling in... and now that noone will give him a ride, especially after almost killing the last team he was in - one that was a foundation to help kids for farks sake, he's now bleating because it's the only way that people will listen to the pathetic sack o' sh1te. It's not about "I need to come clean and it's for my conscience..." it's about him wanting the attention and the money. If someone would have given him a ride with a good team, a fat paycheck and an IV stand with "stuff" to infuse himself with do you think he'd be doing this now? F*ck no... Face facts. The guy didn't even put in enough training during his ban to come back to the sport at a descent level and can't even hang with the domestic US Cat1 guys. Sorry Floyd, recently you have become the personification of FAIL. Take the seat next to Paul Kimmage and please kindly STFU.

This is exactly the problem though, everyone hating on Landis (other than those possibly about to be exposed or similar) are just shouting out personal reasons of dislike for the guy.

I don't give **** about his personality, who he has leeched off or how vindictive he is. He is going to provide information to help fight doping like never before. That is good. He can have all my attention if he wants.

Swampy, you'd prefer the Ranga you dislike to remain tight lipped so we can have another decade of 'blue trains', really?

Well articulated Jono. Totally sht postage Swampy.

And why all the hate on Kimmage? The paddy was right on everything he said, wrote one of the best books on cycling ever, has a writing job at a prestigious paper, journalistic awards, gets to travel in his job and has the emnity of people who are arsewipes. Good on him. I'd shake the cnuts hand if I met him.

Originally Posted by gplama .

That was LOL of the day.... then Classo matched it with a Flandis spray on my Facey page... pisssser

Ah, so THAT'S his name! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Someone sent me this today. So petty and immature. I'd never do something like that.

What's better than beating Collingwood?

Not much really.