The Thread about Nothing....

Originally Posted by paulambry .

Farken loved it.

But Nev, you would have surely been squirming with rage. All that 'foreign' pronunciation (as Ma has pointed out). "Plew-tong" for peloton. Christ - how awful. (And I never knew L'Equipe was pronounced "leekie".)
I'm watching it now. Yep, there's a lot of floggish pronunciation, but he seemed to only do the Franch accent, even on some Italian names, which is odd. The inconsistency of picking and choosing certain accents is one thing makes it shtooopit, along with REALLY PRENTENTIOUS :) Grrrrrr.

Quote: Originally Posted by paulambry .

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]"I reckon Eddie was stiffed a bit. Surely the bestest evar rider deserved a lot more time and coverage? No?"[/COLOR]

I guess coz it's a French production that the content favoured French riders.

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Watched a rather crappy "100 years" of the Tour documentary this week. The early years were interesting just because the event looked so damned hard - tough bastards indeed. Massively overgeared in the mountain roads that seemed more like gravel strewn footpaths. Ok, gravel was an understatement - more like rock strewn. The storied rivalries during the years were brushed over and received less time than socioeconomic twaddle of the time. Oddly, the program finished with a narrative on Voeckler mid way through the 2011 race - no mention of Evans and his historic win and the 2012 edition was just ignored completely. Maybe it should have been called 98.5 editions of the Tour de France.
Yeah nah, it was a French show, so it perhaps should've been called "100 years of French riders in the Tour, plus a couple of others"

Originally Posted by VadarStrikesBack .

Hate is a bit strong. You cant sustain hate. Hate is for the third from last corner when you NEED the wheel or are off the front. Hate every cnut you ever met in that moment. To sustain anything long term you need big love. Whatever the **** that is. I just posted from my couch with a magnum in my hand. So my idea of big love for bikes is minimal to non existent.
Ha., I don't really hate that much, but I still love smashing wankers, or trying to, at least.

And like I keep sayin': flopping on the couch for 6 hours in front of the tv and computer while eating Magnums is 20-hundred times more fun when you've knocked over 90km on the pushy.

To quote Rik Patterson (or was it Anderson?): "sometimes it's not the 'doing' but the 'having done'. RAh! Feel the burn! Push it to the max! One more rep. I actually hate all that "rah rah" ****, which is why I was a **** gym instructor. I used to say stuff like: "Eh, what difference will one more set do? Just go home."
Ha. True.

Originally Posted by matagi .

Gah! What a horrible riding style Merckx has.
Some cool kids on a forum somewhere were saying that he was never the same after he farked his back, and it farked his position

FROM WIKI-OH:
In 1969 Merckx crashed in a derny race in the Blois velodrome towards the end of the season. A pacer and a cyclist fell in front of Merckx's pacer, Fernand Wambst. Wambst died instantly, and Merckx was knocked unconscious. He cracked a vertebra and twisted his pelvis. He said his riding was never the same after the injuries.[7] He frequently adjusted his saddle while riding and was often in pain, especially while climbing.

Merckx said:

"After the crash in Blois, cycling became suffering. The problem that crash gave me was the damage it did to my back. My hips were knocked out of line with my body, which meant that my legs were also out of line. After that day I could never sit comfortably on my bike again. I tinkered with my position and changed my frame angles. I would keep many bikes all subtly different, all ready to race on, but I never found comfort. Before Blois I cannot say that I suffered in a bike race, even The Tour de France. I just pressed on the pedals when I wanted to; that was all I had to do. After the crash it was never the same. The pain changed from day to day: some days I would weep on my bike, on others it was ok. One time, towards the end of my career, it was so bad that I was riding up the Alsemberg hill in Brussels, and I wondered if I was going to get to the top. I thought that I might have to get off and walk, and it isn't a very steep or a very long hill. My back became my weakness. It still affects me today[5]"

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Dude, eBay some of that massive stash of bike components that's been sitting in a box in the shed for two decades that haven't been used and stuff an SSD and some more ram in the laptop that had the drive take a ****.
Hmm, I quite like my Toshiba Tecra P5, even though it's still got Windows XP. :) . It's pretty fast on Chrome and Firefox, but obviously not so much on Explorer. I've just got it working again (albeit, most likely temporarily) after about 10 shots at starting it, and it's farkin heaven compared to the Portege, which is why I'm typing ten posts at once. Ha.

If I had any spare money for stuff like that I'd buy a powermeter (yeah, that's right, I still haven't got one)

Originally Posted by paulambry .

If I took an oath to protect the sovereign welfare of the state of Beepers, I would honour it. Even if the state of Beepers had flaws. I would honour my oath.

If I wanted to fix the flaws in the State of Beepers, I would get elected - or take some office of reform - and prosecute my cause, my goal, my philosophy.

The coward is the dobber. The noble man is the one who faces his accusers on his accuser's terms and makes his case. Be a Socrates. Be truly brave and face the Senate. Defy the gods with honour, even if it means your demise. Be "better off dead"...
Having knowingly agreed to live under the city's laws, he implicitly subjected himself to the possibility of being accused of crimes by its citizens and judged guilty by its jury. To do otherwise would have caused him to break his "social contract" with the state, and so harm the state, an unprincipled act."
I'll try again soberer. Since I brought Assange up, I'll clarify.
When Bradley Manning and Wikileaks released the tapes of the military purposefully killing innocent civilians and reporters, I applauded the leaking. If you're gonna use my taxes to raise an army and send it to invade other countries, you damn well better abide by the rules of engagement. You're killing people in my, our names. The blood is on all of our hands. And that **** is exactly what makes our countries reputations suffer globally and keeps us having to raise bigger armies to 'defend' ourselves. The triggerhappy nature of US troops was a big issue in Vietnam too. My dad was there and he and many commentators will tell you the attitude of the locals towards ANZAC troops was markedly different to their attitude to US troops precisely because the ANZACs did their best to target Viet Cong and not to kill the villagers. I will not defend a military's right to hide it's own lawbreaking and murder and then prosecute the leaker.

Now when Manning and Assange went a step further and released classified cables etc, I do think they overstepped the mark, that there is a case to answer, that it could materially aid the enemy, and was potentially treasonous.

But this NSA contractor Snowden is another matter entirely. He WAS part of the system, knowingly involved in the US gov't breaking it's own laws on a major scale, and he simply exposed the truth. He didn't release secret data that could materially help an enemy. He simply exposed documented proof of the flagrant abuses of govt surveillance that are outside it's legal remit.

If a govt is going to secretly break it's own laws, the honourable citizen is the one who dares to hold them to account. That IS democracy in action.
There is in fact something of the honour of Socrates about his decision:

Quotes below from http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/09/edward-snowden-nsa-whistleblower-surveillance

In a note accompanying the first set of documents he provided, he wrote: "I understand that I will be made to suffer for my actions," but "I will be satisfied if the federation of secret law, unequal pardon and irresistible executive powers that rule the world that I love are revealed even for an instant."
Despite his determination to be publicly unveiled, he repeatedly insisted that he wants to avoid the media spotlight. "I don't want public attention because I don't want the story to be about me. I want it to be about what the US government is doing."
He does not fear the consequences of going public, he said, only that doing so will distract attention from the issues raised by his disclosures. "I know the media likes to personalise political debates, and I know the government will demonise me."
Despite these fears, he remained hopeful his outing will not divert attention from the substance of his disclosures. "I really want the focus to be on these documents and the debate which I hope this will trigger among citizens around the globe about what kind of world we want to live in." He added: "My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
Having watched the Obama administration prosecute whistleblowers at a historically unprecedented rate, he fully expects the US government to attempt to use all its weight to punish him. "I am not afraid," he said calmly, "because this is the choice I've made."
He predicts the government will launch an investigation and "say I have broken the Espionage Act and helped our enemies, but that can be used against anyone who points out how massive and invasive the system has become".
The only time he became emotional during the many hours of interviews was when he pondered the impact his choices would have on his family, many of whom work for the US government. "The only thing I fear is the harmful effects on my family, who I won't be able to help any more. That's what keeps me up at night," he said, his eyes welling up with tears.

Originally Posted by 531Aussie .

If I had any spare money for stuff like that I'd buy a powermeter (yeah, that's right, I still haven't got one)
Dont worry about people reading too much into your words on hate. Dont worry about any of that pompous ****. Also dont worry about not having a powermeter. Dont worry about any of that techno pompous **** either.

You represent all that is ace about bikes IMO. You ride with a touch of class, you race like a mad cnut and you dont buy into a large portion of the **** of modern society.

In 40 years from now I will be telling stories about you not the 20 million tools that paid $3000+ for powermeters. And dont let any cnut tell you how to find motivation (including me). That is your journey not theirs.

For what its worth I reckon deep down 531 would rival gplama is a big way when it comes to civility, respect and treating others in the right manner (i.e. both are excellent).

TAN is place of epic nonsensical hilarity built from words with no intended consequence upon which we should infer nothing more than light hearted jocularity whence it came.

If it has all changed and people are formulating real opinions about real people based off TAN postage then seriously let me know. I will **** off.

Originally Posted by bbp .

When Bradley Manning and Wikileaks released the tapes of the military purposefully killing innocent civilians and reporters,
What I saw in that chopper video was different. I saw someone, in a war zone, sneak behind a wall, then point something toward the blackhawk. That something is said to be a camera but could have been (mistaken for?) a rocket/whatever. I recall the chopper calling for permission to shoot as it was perceived they were in danger. What I didn't see was a chopper rip into civs going about their daily business for no reason at all. Just how I saw it. This is war. This is something I don't know a lot about.

Manning is no hero. Assange trying to avoid being locked up involuntarily by being locked up voluntarily. Snowden left a pole dancing girlfriend on a tropical island.

I want some RoboFish they look like so much fun in the bath.

TAN Stage 1 - Tipping Comp

Lama - Sagan (because I don't want to be the first to pick Cav)

Originally Posted by bbp .

Whaaat? I just watched the swearing in of our new?? Prime Minister and the bastards didn't even hold hands and sing Kumbaya at the end. Ripped off.
I was absolutely livid. The State of Origin was on and Kevvie was wearing a BLUE TIE!
Is there no end to this man's treachery? Does he have no shame?

BTW, I'm not dead yet. Just been for a checkup and no trace of Jack the Dancer.
And I still want to punch Lance Armstrong, really hard, right in the face.

Originally Posted by stevebaby .

I was absolutely livid. The State of Origin was on and Kevvie was wearing a BLUE TIE!
Is there no end to this man's treachery? Does he have no shame?

BTW, I'm not dead yet. Just been for a checkup and no trace of Jack the Dancer.
And I still want to punch Lance Armstrong, really hard, right in the face.
Hugs and kisses.
And I still want to buy you a beer if you'll let me.

Originally Posted by gplama .

What I saw in that chopper video was different. I saw someone, in a war zone, sneak behind a wall, then point something toward the blackhawk. That something is said to be a camera but could have been (mistaken for?) a rocket/whatever. I recall the chopper calling for permission to shoot as it was perceived they were in danger. What I didn't see was a chopper rip into civs going about their daily business for no reason at all. Just how I saw it. This is war. This is something I don't know a lot about.

Manning is no hero. Assange trying to avoid being locked up involuntarily by being locked up voluntarily. Snowden left a pole dancing girlfriend on a tropical island.
And I remember we came to terms over it. I couldn't believe you hadn't listened to what was being said over the net, on the video, as the incident was taking place. Watch the video again. They slaughtered an Italian? journalist and entourage. Just because they could. Again that wasn't the only incident that was leaked. How did you not see the ****edness?
Make up the reasons for a war in the first place, and prosecute it with no respect for the rules of war, that stupid Geneva Convention rubbish you refused to sign, invite journalists along to be 'embedded' and then complain and play the treason card when video of you killing some of them gets exposed? Faaaaark.

Originally Posted by gplama .

Snowden left a pole dancing girlfriend on a tropical island.
And that's part of the point. Just imagine how easily they could make everything you've ever typed here count against you if they so wanted. You'd be very ****ing lucky if a tanned pole dancer was the worst they could connect you to when they so desire.

Keep *****ing! My grandmother taught me: "sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me." Here is Canada and in the US people do not realize just how fascist our governments have become. You cannot make any comments on any moral issue without being labelled some kind of hatemonger or sued or have your job taken away, etc. George Carlin referred to it as "The Pussification of America" and he was dead on.

Jeff

bbp said:
I'll try again soberer. Since I brought Assange up, I'll clarify.
Yep, soberer here too. All you wrote was beautifully put and there's not much I would quibble with. It's just that Assange bloke who insists on bringing the whole world to justice but won't answer for his own personal actions - well that kind of double standard makes me pretty sick.

Originally Posted by VadarStrikesBack .

Dont worry about people reading too much into your words.............
Thanks.

Oh yeah, I been meaning to say: if you ever wanna avoid me on Beach Rd on weekends, all you have to do is be gone by 3pm. HA.:)