The Thread about Nothing....

Enves are quick & stiff, to good for me, but i didn't pay for em, so all good. Still got the Scapin, its serving time as my commuter

This is sad. I frequent Smiths Gully quite a lot. Thoughts are with his family and friends. Thankfully they located him and they had closure quickly, it would have been a horrible day or so when they didn't know. I don't mean for any disrespect by reviewing this from a data point of view.

Here's my analysis:

This is a lot more complicated than I first thought. It appears he had Auto Pause enabled on the Garmin, so it is tougher to pinpoint exactly what took place data recording wise.

The HR data indicates his strap was working well. No spikes, good clean data until he stopped at 1:43:49. At which point the AutoPause kicks in and data recording stops. The HR value is held at the last known value (161).

The GPS unit starts to drift location just over 1 minute later at 1:46:04, at which point the Auto Pause is disabled, the Garmin believes it is moving, and it records a HR value of 201. Was this a correct value from the HR strap? I don't know.

The process repeats a few times through to 1:50:08 where the final signal from the HR strap appears to be 168.

In short - He was stationary from 1:43:49. The HR strap data is reported during a few windows beyond this where the unit appears to drift due to poor GPS signal.

The HR value of 168 is maintained from 1:50:21, then for the next 13.5hrs (estimated battery life of the Garmin).

Given the HR readings were good I don't suspect he stopped to adjust the HR strap due to poor signal. Fiddling with the strap contacts may have resulted in a spike/drop in HR data, doesn't appear to have been the case.

The big jump in location towards the north west (and back) could be correlated with time of day/satellites/conditions, maybe? Again, this is the unit drifting, it didn't move.

That's my take on the data.

RIP mate.

Originally Posted by Hitchy
yep....matter of trial & error until something worked!.
Welcome back
cool.png

I need to send a used kids 16" bike from Melbourne to Suva, Fiji.

Does anyone know a shipping company or freight forwarder who can do this without it costing more than the bike?

Pick up South Melbourne.

Weight:15kg +/- with bike box.

No great hurry... before Christmas would be good :)

Cheers in advance.

​

Originally Posted by ::dom::
I need to send a used kids 16" bike from Melbourne to Suva, Fiji.
I may be able to help. If not on our last minute jump across to Fiji early next week, when I'm back I can do any footwork here in Melb to help out.

That would be great.... you could declare it as your TT bike .... probably double the weight tho'.

Otherwise when you get back.

Cheers

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/anthony-tan/blog/129296/velo-files-where-s-the-impetuosity Thoughts? I'm inclined not to agree. Mainly because not agreeing with anything Anthony Tan says is my normal default position. It was a negative race. So was the men's other than a few spuds plodding off the front. I wouldn't judge women's cycling on one race.

Here's the deal. And I'll expand on this when I have more time.....

Bike racing HAS NOT CHANGED. Long stages are BORING AS ****. That has not changed.

What has changed is the coverage. We now see races, live, start to finish.... and everything in-between. Including the 99% of the race that is mundane wrist slittingly boring.

Our appetite for instant entertainment is greater than ever. We want LIVE, NOW, ACTION. Delivered to our TV, laptops, and phones.... while we're sitting, sleeping, shitting, and everything in-between. Because 99% of our lives are mundane wrist slittingly boring.

We used to live off race results alone. Then highlights, of the GOOD bits. Times have changed. Cycling, in that respect hasn't. Except for the peloton being cleaner and racing 'less hard'..... So we're seeing more of the reality of road racing. It is pretty ****ing boring.

Right. So is this a men's women thing does nothing for anyone. It isn't the issue. Attacking the people who comment isn't helping either.

Attack the TYPE of racing that constitutes a world championship road race. CHANGE IT.

Do we watch test match cricket to be entertained? Boring. Packer knew that. Hello one day cricket! 50 overs became too boring... HELLO 20/20. Cricket moved with the times. It adapted to the fast changing world of entertainment delivery.

Where are the world crit champs? Where is THAT entertainment?

Do we go as far as making comment about SBS columnists having undiagnosed A.D.D? No. That'd be bullying and intimidation in my books. If you're female can you get away with that? Looks like it. **** that. **** everything about that. It isn't fair. Play the ball, not the Tan Man.

In short: Change the sport. The actors are only reading from a script.

/rant.

Do not agree. Most of the classics I've seen this year were crackers. San Remo was a bit of a slog due to the weather and Liege was marginally dull until 10km to go, but Flanders, Roubaix, Amstel and what I saw of the semi classics were balls out smashfests. Last years world's was a cracker too. I'm not sure what needs needs changing. Flat 200km stages in the Tour maybe. As for the women's world's, I'm inclined to say they should be racing 150km. Sort the men out from the boys. Umm. That analogy didn't work.

The good parts of those races were entertaining. Sit there and watch the live feeds (video, tweets, etc) of the whole 6hrs and things change. You only recall the ace parts. If the route is entertaining, that helps. Classics are ace courses.

I get bored watching six hours of anything, but can sit rivetted if it's like the last 100km of roubaix, amstel or Flanders this year. The last two hours of Goss's MSR were ace too . Cycling is an endurance sport. If they raced roubaix or Flanders or the world's over 120km it would lose its magic, it's severeness, it's grit. 250km is a huge step up from 200km.

"she'll be coming round the mountain She'll be pissing like a fountain Then the chain and the pedal woulda broke She'll be sliding along the grass With a pedal up her **** And her tits are playing music on the spokes" We used to sing this in primary school. It was about women's cycling* *may not be true

That family smashes Australia

Well done guys.

Rick McCorkell is Master 7? Fark. I raced him back in the late 80's or 1990 or something. I must be getting old.