The Thread about Nothing....

Terrible news. Not enough support for these kids when they get cut from the program or miss out on selection.

Reactions: EoinC2
Ok, I’m watching one of those rich seppo cnuts buy a beach house shows because tv is **** tonight.

Is it just me, or are all these Atlantic coast and Gulf of Mexico beaches they show a bit ****? Open, windswept, **** surf, dirty looking water....

I think you are right, classic. I’ve watched those shows a couple of times and thought the same thing.

Terrible news. Not enough support for these kids when they get cut from the program or miss out on selection.
Indeed, Classo. For those who have come up through the junior ranks, training and racing are very much entwined in their persona. They identify as a cyclist / athlete / swimmer / …, not as someone whose job is cycling / running / swimming etc.
Our daughter ‘retired’ from cycling earlier this year when it was clear that another 18+ months injury recovery was required over and above the 2 years and 2 operations to date. That was traumatic for her, despite being her own decision, arrived at through deep introspection and lots of support from us to not have the decision flavoured by baggage.
It is entirely natural that, after dedicating years of very hard work to fulfilling a dream, being excluded for any reason can have a devastating effect, and this should be expected and mitigated to the extent possible.
One thing that was definitely helpful to our daughter was that she ensured she had a life outside of cycling (Uni studies and a part-time job) that allowed her to quickly fill the void. Not all young athletes have that alternative persona to provide contingency.

Reactions: classic1
A lot of ex athletes don’t transition well out when they retire. You only have to look at the trouble a lot of former aussie bike riders got into after retirement, or the suicides. The numbers are terrible. I can count five suicides without even thinking hard about it.

Reactions: EoinC2
I remember seeing that 8/10 Cats episode on TV & absolutely pissing myself at Sean’s comment. He was genius at not just crossing the line, but fully leaping over it.

Reactions: paulambry
Yeah, that episode when Sean was on fire and this comment from Jimmy are the two funniest moments on the show I reckon...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Fark me. Still can't get over how young Sean was when he died. I wasn't aware he was ill.

Yep, I recall thinking that was hilariously inappropriate - even for this show.
Also had no clue he was ill.

Today’s reading recommendation is Norco 80.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43192297-norco-80

It’s about a bank robbery and shoot out near the San Bernardino area on the outskirts of LA. This is the incident that caused US wallopers to start using military weaponry.

The book is nearly “Helter Skelter” good.

There’s a Norco 80 podcast as well that’s pretty good for those who are illiterate or have learning difficulties.