The Time for Newbies to Post

Kurgan Gringion

Guest
is in the offseason.

July is the wrong time - wading through interesting TdF commentary is enough without having to
filter out the newbie spam.

In the off-season, activity is low. A newbie question may actually be welcome.

Unfortunately, the newbie hordes only show up in July, like a suffocating swarm of brown locusts on
RBR's verdant, green, dung-fertilized fields.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard in a news group.

> is in the offseason.
>

> July is the wrong time - wading through interesting TdF commentary is
enough
> without having to filter out the newbie spam.
>

> In the off-season, activity is low. A newbie question may actually be welcome.
>

> Unfortunately, the newbie hordes only show up in July, like a suffocating swarm of brown locusts
> on RBR's verdant, green, dung-fertilized fields.

Way to go Kurgan, you used over 50 words without typing dumbass!! In a few years you might actually
improve enough to carry on an intelligent conversation.

> is in the offseason.
>

> July is the wrong time - wading through interesting TdF commentary is
enough
> without having to filter out the newbie spam.
>

> In the off-season, activity is low. A newbie question may actually be welcome.
>

> Unfortunately, the newbie hordes only show up in July, like a suffocating swarm of brown locusts
> on RBR's verdant, green, dung-fertilized fields.

In your other post, you wrote:

"I can't speak for anyone else, but personally I prefer that this newsgroup be posted to solely by
people who understand bike racing."

> is in the offseason.
>

> July is the wrong time - wading through interesting TdF commentary is
enough
> without having to filter out the newbie spam.
>

> In the off-season, activity is low. A newbie question may actually be welcome.
>

> Unfortunately, the newbie hordes only show up in July, like a suffocating swarm of brown locusts
> on RBR's verdant, green, dung-fertilized fields.

stick around-yor standards for dumbest post will have to be reset often "Luc & Marin"

"Jiyang Chen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In your other post, you wrote:
>
> "I can't speak for anyone else, but personally I prefer that this
newsgroup
> be posted to solely by people who understand bike racing."

During the TdF and Classics season, yes.

500 posts/day and 400 of them are from newbies. Ask your newbie questions in the winter when there
is no on-the-boil racing to discuss.

Is there any sport or activity that the experienced players don't snub their noses at the one's
attempting to learn? You walk into any golf course clubhouse, ski chalet, tennis facility, or
gymnasium and it is inevitable you will run into somebody who thinks that just because they are
dressed appropriately and have spent too much time and money on their sport, they are somehow
superior beings. There is nothing more satisfying then seeing these guys or gals get their asses
kicked. I am a newbie to this NG and the TdF and have picked up alot of useful information and
interesting tidbits. It would be great if those that are looking for answers could post them and
those with answers would reply without sarcasm and disdain.

Ger

Ger wrote:
> Is there any sport or activity that the experienced players don't snub their noses at the one's
> attempting to learn? You walk into any golf course clubhouse, ski chalet, tennis facility, or
> gymnasium and it is inevitable you will run into somebody who thinks that just because they are
> dressed appropriately and have spent too much time and money on their sport, they are somehow
> superior beings. There is nothing more satisfying then seeing these guys or gals get their
> asses kicked.

Yeah, they're in every sport. However, it's been my experience that the people who really are the
best don't behave this way. It's the guys that are good but not among the best that are usually the
biggest assholes. They are insecure about being losers so they dump on other people to make
themselves feel superior. It's sad and pathetic.

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now

What's wrong with newbie questions? There are people out there who gains knowledge in the cycling
through asking questions. Are new cyclists not welcome to post here?

"Ger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> It would be great if those that are looking for answers could post them and those with answers
> would reply without sarcasm and disdain.

Great for you perhaps, but far less entertaining for me.

I was following the TdF when Meryx was winning. Were you? Hang on to your precious newsgroup. It
sounds like it is the only thing going on in your life.

Take your training wheels off and go for a ride.

Ger <[email protected]> writes:

> I am a newbie to this NG and the TdF and have picked up alot of useful information and
> interesting tidbits. It would be great if those that are looking for answers could post them and
> those with answers would reply without sarcasm and disdain.

There are insecure people everywhere that feel the need to appear intelligent by being offensive and
condescending. The gravitate to the internet because they won't get their asses kicked when they
insult others. As someone (attributed to Larry Wall) once said:

The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet
developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol.

--
David N. Welton Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/ Personal: http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/ Free
Software: http://www.dedasys.com/freesoftware/ Apache Tcl: http://tcl.apache.org/

> 500 posts/day and 400 of them are from newbies. Ask your newbie questions
in
> the winter when there is no on-the-boil racing to discuss.

Now that you mention it, I do have this boil... How do you lance a Henry??

Mike

"Luc & Marin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I was following the TdF when Meryx was winning. Were you?

Not Merckx, but Hinault. I'm not gray enough for Merckx.

>Hang on to your precious newsgroup. It sounds like it is the only thing going on in your life.
>
> Take your training wheels off and go for a ride.

Dumbass -

why would you try to come into a group as a newbie and try to establish etiquitte?

You don't have any idea of the ebb and flow of this group. At hundreds posts/day, we don't need
newbie posts cluttering up the works in July or during the Cobbled Classics Week.

Newbs should ask their newb questions in the winter when things are slow.

Speaking of training wheels - metaphorically yours aren't off yet and you've already fallen over.

"Bill Davidson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:ygVVa.32387$Ne.26179@fed1read03...
> Ger wrote:
> > Is there any sport or activity that the experienced players don't snub their noses at the one's
> > attempting to learn? You walk into any golf
course
> > clubhouse, ski chalet, tennis facility, or gymnasium and it is
inevitable
> > you will run into somebody who thinks that just because they are dressed appropriately and have
> > spent too much time and money on their sport,
they
> > are somehow superior beings. There is nothing more satisfying then
seeing
> > these guys or gals get their asses kicked.
>
> Yeah, they're in every sport. However, it's been my experience that the people who really are the
> best don't behave this way. It's the guys that are good but not among the best that are usually
> the biggest
assholes.
> They are insecure about being losers so they dump on other people to make themselves feel
> superior. It's sad and pathetic.
>
> --Bill Davidson

I can sum it up a little more succinctly. The truly fast guys are some of the nicest people you'll
meet. Its the ones that THINK they're fast that are the assholes. Works for rich people too...

I'm not nearly fast enough to be an ass, even if I wasn't a Masters Fattie!

Mike

"David N. Welton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Ger <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > I am a newbie to this NG and the TdF and have picked up alot of useful information and
> > interesting tidbits. It would be great if those that are looking for answers could post them
> > and those with answers would reply without sarcasm and disdain.
>
> There are insecure people everywhere that feel the need to appear intelligent by being offensive
> and condescending. The gravitate to the internet because they won't get their asses kicked when
> they insult others.

Actually, no.

I can't speak for others, but I do it because it's fun.

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 20:46:14 GMT, "Kurgan Gringioni"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"David N. Welton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>> > Dumbass -
>> >
>> > why would you try to come into a group as a newbie and try to establish etiquitte?
>>
>> Isn't that what you are doing?
>

>Ya.
>

>First post here was in 1995.

Jesus - and you're not over it yet? More power to you I guess. Have you seen a significant decline
in newby postings since you took on this most pressing issue? Perhaps there are more productive
outlets for your angH^H^H^H enthusiasm.

JP
Any treatment for subcutaneous road-rash?