The Times says Mail bomber suspect is a cyclist...wait for it...duck!

WibbleWobble

Guest
Just seen the front page of tomorrows Times on TV... oh please! This'll go
down well with White Van Man and related morons.

I'll put the stabilisers on the bike just in case....

wafflycat wrote:

> "WibbleWobble" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Just seen the front page of tomorrows Times on TV... oh please!
>> This'll go
>> down well with White Van Man and related morons.
>>
>> I'll put the stabilisers on the bike just in case....
>>

> The online version says he's a school caretaker.
>
> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article1405614.ece
>
> Perhaps school caretakers will need to be wary of WVM tomorrow?

Just seen it this morning,a letter has been despatched.

Sam Salt

WibbleWobble wrote:
> Just seen the front page of tomorrows Times on TV... oh please! This'll go
> down well with White Van Man and related morons.
>
> I'll put the stabilisers on the bike just in case....

You'd think he'd welcome speed cameras and the DVLA keeping vehicles
traceable. Does not compute.

"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "WibbleWobble" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Just seen the front page of tomorrows Times on TV... oh please! This'll
>> go
>> down well with White Van Man and related morons.
>>
>> I'll put the stabilisers on the bike just in case....
>>

> The online version says he's a school caretaker.
>
> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article1405614.ece
>
> Perhaps school caretakers will need to be wary of WVM tomorrow?

The early print page (for today) shown on Newsnight last night said cyclist.
I re-ran the segment twice to check my eyes weren't deceiving me. At the
same time The Times online version headline said he's a (school) caretaker.
But...Stop the press....the front page today looks totally different...I'm
glad it does.

"WibbleWobble" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "WibbleWobble" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Just seen the front page of tomorrows Times on TV... oh please! This'll
>>> go
>>> down well with White Van Man and related morons.
>>>
>>> I'll put the stabilisers on the bike just in case....
>>>

>> The online version says he's a school caretaker.
>>
>> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article1405614.ece
>>
>> Perhaps school caretakers will need to be wary of WVM tomorrow?
>>

> The early print page (for today) shown on Newsnight last night said
> cyclist. I re-ran the segment twice to check my eyes weren't deceiving me.
> At the same time The Times online version headline said he's a (school)
> caretaker.
> But...Stop the press....the front page today looks totally different...I'm
> glad it does.

My copy of 'The Times' still got it in for cyclists ( MAN HELD OVER LETTER
BOMBINGS IS A CYCLIST) and on page four there is a picture showing 3 police
officers stopping 1 cat from crossing the cordon!

On 20 Feb, 07:26, Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote:
> WibbleWobble wrote:
> > Just seen the front page of tomorrows Times on TV... oh please! This'll go
> > down well with White Van Man and related morons.

> > I'll put the stabilisers on the bike just in case....

> You'd think he'd welcome speed cameras and the DVLA keeping vehicles
> traceable. Does not compute.

Perhaps he's only a cyclist because he has had his license taken off
him, hence the attack on the DVLA.

David

> I'd be surprised if WVM reads the Times - has anyone checked the Sun's
> angle on the story?

No mention of cyclists in the daily star.

"fred2" <[email protected]> wrote:
| My copy of 'The Times' still got it in for cyclists ( MAN HELD OVER LETTER
| BOMBINGS IS A CYCLIST) ...

The SCR copy of the Times drew my eye with that headline too (I never pick
it up... it comes off on your hands). The problem, you see, is the -ist.

Would you be surprised by a headline that said "Man held over bombings rides
a bike"? Of course you would, because it would be as silly as "Man held over
bombings walks", or "Man held over bombings drives car". (Hm, "Man held over
barrel drinks beer.")

But an -ist is someone who has an -ism. Cyclist rhymes (at least to my ear)
with other dangerous occupations like pianist, therapist, rapist, and
motorist. Cyclists are probably at least as dangerous as communists,
fascists, sadists, orthodontists and even optimists.

I've decided to give up being a cyclist, possibly only for Lent, and just go
out and ride my bike instead.

(Yes, that was me with two six-foot lengths of four-by-one strapped to
the sides of the crossbar last night, but yesterday I was still a cyclist.)

Mark Thompson <pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com> wrote:
| No mention of cyclists in the daily star.

Is there ever?

>| No mention of cyclists in the daily star.
>
> Is there ever?

Fair point. I was mildly surprised to find the story - it was the only one
in there that was 'real news'.

In article <[email protected]>, A.C.P.Crawshaw wrote:
>wafflycat wrote:
>
>> The online version says he's a school caretaker.
>>
>> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article1405614.ece
>>
>> Perhaps school caretakers will need to be wary of WVM tomorrow?

>I'd be surprised if WVM reads the Times - has anyone checked the Sun's angle on the story?

Sun mentions him cycling on page 9 (I think), but not on the front page.
(I looked in a newsagents at lunchtime.)

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 22:08:28 -0000, "WibbleWobble" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Just seen the front page of tomorrows Times on TV... oh please! This'll go
>down well with White Van Man and related morons.
>
>I'll put the stabilisers on the bike just in case....

I was disappointed with the lack of comment from Daily Mail readers -
for some reason, the DM webmaster hasn't opened comments on that
story. Shame, as you can normally count on the teeth gnashing brigade
for some reactionary anti-cycling ranting.

On 2007-02-20 06:58:38 +0000, Sam Salt
<[email protected]> said:

> wafflycat wrote:
>>
>> "WibbleWobble" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Just seen the front page of tomorrows Times on TV... oh please! This'll go
>>> down well with White Van Man and related morons.
>>>
>>> I'll put the stabilisers on the bike just in case....
>>>

>> The online version says he's a school caretaker.
>>
>> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article1405614.ece
>>
>> Perhaps school caretakers will need to be wary of WVM tomorrow?

> Just seen it this morning,a letter has been despatched.
>
> Sam Salt

To whom and to what end?
--
Three wheels good, two wheels ok

www.catrike.co.uk

"fred2" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "WibbleWobble" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> "WibbleWobble" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> The online version says he's a school caretaker.
>>>
>>> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article1405614.ece
>>>
>>> Perhaps school caretakers will need to be wary of WVM tomorrow?
>>>

>> The early print page (for today) shown on Newsnight last night said
>> cyclist. I re-ran the segment twice to check my eyes weren't deceiving
>> me. At the same time The Times online version headline said he's a
>> (school) caretaker.
>> But...Stop the press....the front page today looks totally
>> different...I'm glad it does.
>>

> My copy of 'The Times' still got it in for cyclists ( MAN HELD OVER LETTER
> BOMBINGS IS A CYCLIST) and on page four there is a picture showing 3
> police officers stopping 1 cat from crossing the cordon!

Very odd - I'm referring to the newspaper image posted online, I haven't
seen the actual print copy.
Still, cyclist = terrorist. Obvious really. Panniers are the new rucksacks.

"WibbleWobble" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just seen the front page of tomorrows Times on TV... oh please! This'll
> go
> down well with White Van Man and related morons.
>
> I'll put the stabilisers on the bike just in case....

Letter in reply - found in today's TIMES
Sir, If I wasn’t so busy putting on my waterproofs, finding my lights and
pumping up a flat tyre, I would write and complain about the slur against
cyclists in your front-page headline (“Man held over letter bomb is a
cyclist”, Feb 20).

Whatever next? Because David Cameron cycles, we’re all cannabis users?

Fred

David Lloyd <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 20 Feb, 07:26, Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote:
>> WibbleWobble wrote:
>> > Just seen the front page of tomorrows Times on TV... oh please! This'll go
>> > down well with White Van Man and related morons.

>> > I'll put the stabilisers on the bike just in case....

>> You'd think he'd welcome speed cameras and the DVLA keeping vehicles
>> traceable. Does not compute.

> Perhaps he's only a cyclist because he has had his license taken off
> him, hence the attack on the DVLA.

I look forward to the Home Orifice introducing bomb licences. You'ld
be able to catch most of the bombers when they applied for one.

--
Chris Malcolm [email protected] DoD #205
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

fred2 wrote:

> Letter in reply - found in today's TIMES
> Sir, If I wasn’t so busy putting on my waterproofs, finding my lights and
> pumping up a flat tyre, I would write and complain about the slur against
> cyclists in your front-page headline (“Man held over letter bomb is a
> cyclist”, Feb 20).
>
> Whatever next? Because David Cameron cycles, we’re all cannabis users?

Online at:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/debate/letters/article1414976.ece
http://preview.tinyurl.com/ypcd8d

Martin.