The tragedy of Vandeman.

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.soc archive' started by Eamon Stanley, Oct 17, 2003.

  1. Try this one if you haven't:

    Google:[email protected] . Do it in Groups.

    18400 hits registered. I haven't been around since 1997, and he was the #1 waste of bandwidth then.
    This too shall (not) pass away. It fails of comprehension that so many people with so many other
    things to talk and think about waste so much time responding to and thinking about this "mother of
    all trolls", who has been arguing with one foot nailed to the floor for about a decade now.
    Amazing. Oh, and Mikey? I don't own a mountain bike, and I don't own a car, so don't bother.

    In Effigy, Sandmaster

    Tags:

  2. Jym Dyer

    Jym Dyer Guest

    > I don't own a mountain bike, and I don't own a car, so don't bother.

    =v= Keep your eyes peeled for a new missive: Atypical Mountain Biker Joins Grepping Loon Contingent.
    :^) <_Jym_

  3. Eamon Stanley <[email protected]> wrote:
    : 18400 hits registered. I haven't been around since 1997, and he was
    : the #1 waste of bandwidth then. This too shall (not) pass away. It

    Well, a decade of internet campaigning shows some determination, right? And determination as
    well as achievement are good things, right? (Or is that just a national prejudice ->
    http://www.sisugrp.com/sisuis.htm) So it's a merit of kinds... a reputation for having the
    merit, etc.

    : fails of comprehension that so many people with so many other things to talk and think about waste
    : so much time responding to and thinking about this "mother of all trolls", who has been arguing
    : with one foot nailed to the floor for about a decade now. Amazing.

    There could be multiple reasons why such behaviour could be classified rational. Maybe trolling
    serves online discussion. Spamming is a huge problem and people like to address it. Or people like
    to grasp the earliest available possibility to exhibit their views :)

  4. Rk

    Rk Guest

    [email protected] wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Eamon Stanley <[email protected]> wrote:
    > : 18400 hits registered. I haven't been around since 1997, and he was
    > : the #1 waste of bandwidth then. This too shall (not) pass away. It
    >
    > Well, a decade of internet campaigning shows some determination, right? And determination as
    > well as achievement are good things, right? (Or is that just a national prejudice ->
    > http://www.sisugrp.com/sisuis.htm) So it's a merit of kinds... a reputation for having the
    > merit, etc.
    >
    > : fails of comprehension that so many people with so many other things to talk and think about
    > : waste so much time responding to and thinking about this "mother of all trolls", who has been
    > : arguing with one foot nailed to the floor for about a decade now. Amazing.
    >
    > There could be multiple reasons why such behaviour could be classified rational. Maybe trolling
    > serves online discussion. Spamming is a huge problem and people like to address it. Or people like
    > to grasp the earliest available possibility to exhibit their views :)

    ob·ses·sion
    n.
    1)Compulsive preoccupation with a fixed idea or an unwanted feeling or emotion, often accompanied by
    symptoms of anxiety.
    2) A compulsive, often unreasonable idea or emotion.

    Obsesive-Compulsive Personality Disorder

    Diagnosis Program Online diagnosis of this disorder is available at MyTherapy.com , Dr. Phillip
    Long's website.
    -----------------

    European Description

    The ICD-10 Classification of Mental and Behavioural Disorders World Health Organization,
    Geneva, 1992

    F60.5 Anankastic (Obsessive-Compulsive) Personality Disorder Personality disorder characterized by
    at least 3 of the following:

    (G) feelings of excessive doubt and caution;
    (H) preoccupation with details, rules, lists, order, organization or schedule;
    (I) perfectionism that interferes with task completion;
    (J) excessive conscientiousness, scrupulousness, and undue preoccupation with productivity to the
    exclusion of pleasure and interpersonal relationships;
    (K) excessive pedantry and adherence to social conventions;
    (L) rigidity and stubbornness;
    (M) unreasonable insistence by the patient that others submit to exactly his or her way of doing
    things, or unreasonable reluctance to allow others to do things;
    (N) intrusion of insistent and unwelcome thoughts or impulses.

    Includes:
    * compulsive and obsessional personality (disorder)
    * obsessive-compulsive personality disorder

    Excludes:
    * obsessive-compulsive disorder

    Personality Disorders A personality disorder is a severe disturbance in the characterological
    constitution and behavioural tendencies of the individual, usually involving several areas of the
    personality, and nearly always associated with considerable personal and social disruption.
    Personality disorder tends to appear in late childhood or adolescence and continues to be manifest
    into adulthood. It is therefore unlikely that the diagnosis of personality disorder will be
    appropriate before the age of 16 or 17 years. General diagnostic guidelines applying to all
    personality disorders are presented below; supplementary descriptions are provided with each of
    the subtypes.

    Diagnostic Guidelines Conditions not directly attributable to gross brain damage or disease, or to
    another psychiatric disorder, meeting the following criteria:

    (a) markedly dysharmonious attitudes and behaviour, involving usually several areas of functioning,
    e.g. affectivity, arousal, impulse control, ways of perceiving and thinking, and style of
    relating to others;
    (b) the abnormal behaviour pattern is enduring, of long standing, and not limited to episodes of
    mental illness;
    (c) the abnormal behaviour pattern is pervasive and clearly maladaptive to a broad range of personal
    and social situations;
    (d) the above manifestations always appear during childhood or adolescence and continue into
    adulthood;
    (e) the disorder leads to considerable personal distress but this may only become apparent late in
    its course;
    (f) the disorder is usually, but not invariably, associated with significant problems in
    occupational and social performance.

    For different cultures it may be necessary to develop specific sets of criteria with regard to
    social norms, rules and obligations. For diagnosing most of the subtypes listed below, clear
    evidence is usually required of the presence of at least three of the traits or behaviours given in
    the clinical description.

    ------------

    American Description

    Diagnostic Criteria A pervasive pattern of preoccupation with orderliness, perfectionism, and mental
    and interpersonal control, at the expense of flexibility, openness, and efficiency, beginning by
    early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by four (or more) of the
    following:

    is preoccupied with details, rules, lists, order, organization, or schedules to the extent that the
    major point of the activity is lost shows perfectionism that interferes with task completion (e.g.,
    is unable to complete a project because his or her own overly strict standards are not met) is
    excessively devoted to work and productivity to the exclusion of leisure activities and friendships
    (not accounted for by obvious economic necessity) is overconscientious, scrupulous, and inflexible
    about matters of morality, ethics, or values (not accounted for by cultural or religious
    identification) is unable to discard worn-out or worthless objects even when they have no
    sentimental value is reluctant to delegate tasks or to work with others unless they submit to
    exactly his or her way of doing things adopts a miserly spending style toward both self and others;
    money is viewed as something to be hoarded for future catastrophes shows rigidity and stubbornness

    Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder Treatment

    Phillip W. Long, M.D. 1990

    Contents Medical Treatment Basic Principles Hospitalization Antidepressant Drugs
    Psychosocial Treatment Basic Principles Individual Psychotherapy Family Therapy

    Medical Treatment Basic Principles When they are confronted with physical illness, individuals with
    compulsive personality disorder are particularly troubled by the sense of loss of control over
    bodily functions. There may be exaggerated worries about submitting to authority figures.

    The patient will attempt to ward off these anxieties by redoubling efforts at composure and
    presenting a precisely detailed, orderly account of progression of symptoms in an emotionally
    detached manner.

    A scientific approach on the part of the physician - as conveyed in thorough history taking and
    careful diagnostic workups - is reassuring and fosters the trust necessary for an effective
    therapeutic alliance. A well-articulated account of the disease process and treatment alternatives
    reassures the patient that someone is in control and that the doctor respects the patient's
    capacities to participate as an informed partner in the healing process. The reassurance provides a
    foundation upon which the patient can begin to reconstruct a sense of order in everyday life.

    Patients with compulsive personality disorder are not reassured by vague impressionistic overviews
    of their prognosis. Patients feel most comfortable when the doctor provides documentary evidence in
    the form of specific laboratory test results, e.g., electrocardiograms or x-rays, or cites actual
    reports from the literature when presenting statistics about risk factors.

    The healing process may be promoted by harnessing patients' innate thoroughness through encouraging
    intake and output and weight fluctuations and control of graduated exercise programs. When feasible,
    patients can take over management of more routine procedures, such as changing their surgical
    dressings. Meticulous adherence to treatment protocols will restore morale as patients regain a
    sense of mastery and dignity in taking charge of their lives. The physician must remain alert to the
    possibility that compulsive patients may wish to carry this self-healing process too far and cross
    the boundaries of their competence while stubbornly resisting the expertise offered by the health
    care team. The use of medications in these patients is generally not productive.

    Hospitalization Occasionally, when obsessional rituals and anxiety reach an intolerable
    intensity, it may be necessary to hospitalize the patient until the shelter of an institution and
    the removal from external environmental stresses bring about a lessening of the symptoms to a
    more tolerable level.

    Antidepressant Drugs During the past decade, sporadic case reports have described dramatic
    improvement in severely disabled obsessive-compulsive patients after the administration of tricyclic
    antidepressant or monoamine oxidase inhibitors.

    PPychosocial Treatment Basic Principles Patients with Compulsive Personality Disorder who seek
    treatment usually do so because of symptoms which reflect, or are similar to, Axis I diagnoses
    of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Affective Disorder, or occasionally Paranoia.

    Individual Psychotherapy Long-term psychotherapy is the treatment of choice. The focus must be on
    feelings rather than thoughts and would emphasize the clarification of the defenses of isolation of
    affect (intellectualized distancing from emotions) and displacement of hostility.

    The treatment of the personality disorder itself should be
    PPPychotherapeutic, and may be intensive in nature if the patient is sufficiently motivated and
    tolerant. Needs to control and related fears of destructive impulses are important issues at all
    levels of treatment, from simple scheduling requests, to intellectualization and
    rationalization, to other resistances to fantasy and free association. Many of the
    characteristics which lead to a successful life for such a patient, and which appear to the
    inexperienced therapist to make for an excellent therapeutic candidate, are actually symptoms
    which can become serious impediments to psychotherapy.

    The therapist must avoid competing with the patient and should be able to tolerate the patient's
    verbal attacks, retaining a therapeutic posture rather than allowing the session to deteriorate into
    an intellectual discussion or otherwise nonproductive interchange. Those patients with Compulsive
    Personality Disorder who show signs of deteriorating toward severe rituals or paranoia under stress
    should probably not be treated so intensively.

    As is always the case in choosing patients for insight psychotherapy, the criteria for selection
    depend primarily on factors other than symptoms: (1) the prominence of situational precipitating
    events, (2) the capacity to relate to the physician, (3) evidence of good relationships with others,
    (4) stable work patterns, (5) the capacity to tolerate anxiety and depression, (6) the ability to
    express emotion, (7) intelligence, (8) the ability to be introspective, (9) flexibility in thinking
    and behavior, and, perhaps most important of all, (10) motivation for change.

    Supportive psychotherapy undoubtedly has its place in the
    PPPPychiatrist's armamentarium, especially for that group of obsessive-compulsive patients who,
    despite symptoms of varying degrees of severity, are able to work and make a social adjustment.
    The continuous and regular contact with an interested, sympathetic, and encouraging professional
    may make it possible for patients to continue to function by virtue of this help, without which
    they would become completely incapacitated by their symptoms.

    Group and behavioral therapy occasionally offer certain advantages. In both contexts, it is easy to
    interrupt the patient in the midst of his maladaptive interactions or explanations. Preventing the
    completion of his habitual behavior raises his anxiety and leaves him susceptible to new learning.
    The patient can also experience direct rewards for change, something less often possible in
    individual psychotherapies.

    Desensitization techniques may be helpful to certain patients in removing or reducing the severity
    of symptoms. As in the phobias, a hierarchy of increasingly anxiety-provoking stimuli is
    constructed, and the patient is systematically exposed to these stimuli step by step, either in
    imagination or in vivo, in combination with a variety of measures applied to induce a countering
    relaxation.

    In flooding, the patient is required to face the most anxiety-provoking stimuli and to experience
    the full tide of anxious affect thus aroused. Flooding is often combined with response prevention,
    called apotrepic therapy by some clinicians; the patients are not only confronted with the
    frightening stimulus, but are restrained from carrying out their defensive-compulsive actions.
    Modeling may be added to response prevention; that is, patients are accompanied by the therapist,
    who remains calm and inactive during the exposure to the arousing stimulus and who provides patients
    with a model after which to pattern their own behavior.

    Therapeutic techniques have also been devised to control obsessional thoughts. Saturation requires
    patients actively to concentrate on the obsessional thought without letting their minds wander.
    Clinical experience shows that, after 10 to 15 minutes of such concentration, the obsessional
    thought loses some of its attention-compelling energy, and patients are unable to keep their minds
    focused on it. Thought-stopping involves the therapist in a vigorous interaction with the patient.
    As the patient broods on the obsessional thought, the therapist suddenly yells "Stop!" or applies an
    aversive stimulus to counteract the patient's obsessional preoccupation.

    Family Therapy Any psychotherapeutic endeavors must include attention to family members through the
    provision of emotional support, reassurance, explanation, and advice on how to manage and respond to
    the patient.