The Trans-fat Conspiracy

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by Pendejo, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Ideologue

Ideologue Banned

Look out for it in health food shops too. I see products containing it all the time in those places, as well as aspartame, etc., etc.

2. Topsi1208

Topsi1208 New Member

The 2 big no-no's I look for are the partially hydrogenated oils & high fructose corn syrup. Both are just awful for the human body. Countries will never outlaw these ingredients but they are used to stabilize foods so they have a longer shelf life. The high fructose corn syrup has even more names than the trans-fats and is harder to detect when reading ingredient lists.

3. Archibald

Archibald New Member

any examples?

4. Archibald

Archibald New Member

here's one that surprised the hell out of me - i found it in a protein bar!!
    trans 0.1g

5. Topsi1208

Topsi1208 New Member

I thought this would be easy but when I researched it I couldn't find anything. I did check my protein bars & found "Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil". I'm not sure what that is but if it has to be fractionated, I'm pretty sure its not good. I did find out that High Fructose Corn Syrup is made from a chemical process that changes the basic molecular structure of normal sugar. NO studies have proven that is causes any damage to the human body. I think anything that has to be chemically altered from its natural state is probably not good for you so I will stay away from it as much as possible.

6. Topsi1208

Topsi1208 New Member

I had an Endurance Power Bar & it was loaded! YIKES!

7. Pendejo

Pendejo Member

Here's an explanation of fractionated palm kernel oil: http://www.drweil.com/u/QA/QA118473/

As I've mentioned before, I'm infuriated that I've let myself be duped by the food industry and their ally, our U.S. government. I thought I was aware and that I had a healthy diet throughout my adult life, but I was badly wrong. As those of you who are now looking at labels are finding out, transfats (partially hydrogenated oils) seem to be in almost everything, and in many cases very well disguised by deceptive labeling.

As mentioned in a prior entry, there doesn't seem to be other aliases for high fructose corn syrup, so it's easier to spot. This Frankenstein sweetener has been implicated in weight-gain and diabetes, and the jury is still out about other possible health implications. Nobody seems to use real sugar anymore (it's more expensive). For example, try to find a soft drink that doesn't use the HFCS.

In spite of the fact I love eggs and cheese, I've really limited my intake of them for most of my life, because of the supposed high cholesterol risks. Now I think that, too, was nonsense. What's killing so many people is not real food, but all the artificial crap that we've been convinced is the "heart-healthy" alternatives. Look at the French - their diet is loaded with eggs and cheese and dairy, yet they're a lot healthier than we are in the U.S. with much lower rates of obesity. Some say it's the red wine, but I'll wager it's the fact that they don't (yet) have all this artificial crap in their food.

By the way, I checked out Domino's pizza. The dough in their regular ("hand-tossed") crust is fine, as is the pizza sauce they use. However, the cheese they use contains transfats. Their cheddar cheese is OK, but they may charge you extra to use it instead of the regular.

8. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

Eating eggs (or cholesterol in food) isn't a problem, it's the cholesterol that's produced within your body when you eat foods that is.

Whenever i go to the supermarket (which is once a week) i'm amazed at the amount [email protected] that is available. Pre packaged foods, which when i pick up (generally for recipe ideas) and look at the ingredients has a list of chemicals that sounds horrendous. consequently i rarely buy such foods (maybe a few times a year we resort to such stuff).

Maybe i was spoilt when i was growing up, with my mum having her own catering business and showing me how to cook? but it never seems difficult to cook something fresh and healthy. Whether it's pasta with a fresh tomato sauce (so much nicer than a pre made one) or a risotto, none of it really takes that long to cook and prepare.

French, Italian, Spanish (i'm not sure about other countries) diets they're all so much better than the rubbish people eat in the UK and USA. I'm not sure if people have become lazy or lost the skills that maybe their parents had for cooking. It's such an important skill (cooking), and i don't know if it's taught in schools any longer (i'll find out in a few years when my son goes). I'm going to teach my son how to cook, and show him how much fun it can be.

Real food rules!

Ric

9. Topsi1208

Topsi1208 New Member

Thanks for the info. It is almost to impossible to eliminate all trans-fats & all High Fructose Corn Syrup from our diets since it in almost everything! I really like the convenience of packing a few granola bars for my rides so I will stick to the Kashi TLC Chewy granola bars. They don't have any trans-fat or High Fructose Corn Syrup.

10. Topsi1208

Topsi1208 New Member

I Agree! It just does not take long to throw a healthy meal together using fresh whole ingredients. I even enjoy the prep time, (chopping, mincing, slicing & dicing)!

This year, I planted a garden for the first time. I got tired of bland tasting tomatoes from the store that started to rot right away. Now I'm picking my own tomatoes that were grown without pesticides & they are delicious! Every night we eat a fresh cucumber & fresh tomato. I've even picked a few cantaloupes. At least this way, I know for sure what is in my food!

11. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

Tomatoes are my favourite, and Insalata Caprese is my favourite way of enjoying them. You're right about shop bought tomatoes, and (as we don't have a garden) i shop very carefully for the best tomatoes, which in general don't come up to the standard of the tomatoes i used to eat when i lived in France or was on holiday in Italy. There's an Italian deli that i sometimes use, that sells really nice imported Italian tomatoes. Buon appetito!

Ric

12. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

I tried my hand at "organic" gardening last year and I wasn't too good at it.

Insects had a feast on my tomatoes and squash:(

I suppose the Whole Foods Market or Harry's Farmer's Market will have to be my place for shopping.

Whole Foods Market Locations

13. DCwom

DCwom New Member

This would be the "majority" that dosn't bother to vote in the important off-election years or participate in primaries. Our current government (both parties) is a product "garbage-in, garbage-out". You get what you vote for...

14. Topsi1208

Topsi1208 New Member

I sprinkled Cayenne pepper on my garden & it kept the bugs away. I also used Miracle Gro potting soil mixed in with GA red clay & I fed it some plant food. That was about it.

15. cyclist2

cyclist2 New Member

my theory is you want to be just as worried about what the manufactures dont put on labels, the less food has had human intervention the better the product

16. marconfoot

marconfoot New Member

Try adding some Vidalia onion and olive oil/balsamic vinegar to those chopped tomatoes and cuc's. No trans fatty acids to be found there!

17. NickDavid

NickDavid New Member

+1 MAN! I started cooking al my own meals a few months ago. I'm hooked! I love it so much, I've though about getting into cooking as a trade.

It's a ton of fun, especially when you start messing around with ingredients. Last week I mashed a banana, mixed with olive oil, garlic and some other goodies, then marinated the chicken in it and cooked. It was so tasty!

18. Topsi1208

Topsi1208 New Member

It is amazing how good some flavors combine that you would not normally think would go together. I would have never thought to marinate chicken in a mashed up banana.

19. Pendejo

Pendejo Member

My wife and I have almost "lost our taste" for eating out, unfortunately. You can almost be sure you'll be eating trans-fats with a restaurant meal, unless it's an organic or health-oriented place. There's a neat outdoor cafe that we walk to for brunch. Great omelletes, pancakes, French toast (or is that Freedom toast?). We went yesterday and I asked what type of oil they use to fry their stuff in. The manager checked and told me it was a liquid butter substitute. Hydrogenated. But he offered that they could make our eggs using olive oil instead. They tasted fine, so now I've learned something. Sadly, they can't use the olive oil for pancakes, etc., so it's probably adios to them.

20. aacliment

aacliment New Member

My breakfast consists of yogurt, fruit juice, bran flakes, a high fibre fruit (pineapple or an orange) and the part that i really look forward to is a slice of whole wheat bread with peanut butter and unsweetened strawberry preserves. Sadly, i know that peanut butter is loaded with partially hydrogenated oil and i will have to give that up! I just have not found anything that i will look forward to eating, as much as the peanut butter. I have tried organic peanut butter with out PHO, but its not even close. Any ideas?