The true spirit of cycling

lupo64

Oct 12, 2007
Hello,
I did this question, to know if you think the same things, like for instance the french, on the velo101 forum, the most totality of them think that professional cyclists are all doped, so the cycling sport is devided. There are two acitivities, one, the base activity, and the other the professional activity (the show, something who isn't true). As for me, I don't think so, it's true, starting '90 years the doping problems are very hards, before until '70 / '80 years doping was artisanly, so now it's necessary to face the problem, but not following no more cycling. It would be like put his head under the ground. I think there is not a real passion without professional cyclist races. What do you think about?
Sportly.

I think anywhere where doping can increase your chance of moving up the scorecard there will be doping. That includes amateur as well a professionals. As amateurs well outnumber the pros, then it is a much bigger problem with the former. Also amateurs don't generally have access to proper medical care, and self subscribe, making it even more dangerous.

And what is doping? How is it defined? Where do you draw the line?

Example: say you give blood regularly? Do you fail to give blood if you know you have a race soon afterwards?

Another example: do you drink alcohol and coffee regularly: do you refrain or cut back on these substances for a day or so before a race? Or do you have a little glass for some 'dutch courage' before a race? All the while knowing Brandy was the first substance outlawed on the TdF...

lupo64 said:
Hello,
I did this question, to know if you think the same things, like for instance the french, on the velo101 forum, the most totality of them think that professional cyclists are all doped, so the cycling sport is devided. There are two acitivities, one, the base activity, and the other the professional activity (the show, something who isn't true). As for me, I don't think so, it's true, starting '90 years the doping problems are very hards, before until '70 / '80 years doping was artisanly, so now it's necessary to face the problem, but not following no more cycling. It would be like put his head under the ground. I think there is not a real passion without professional cyclist races. What do you think about?
Sportly.

I get no motivation from pro cycling races. I do get motivation from moving across the landscape, hearing the wind in my ears, seeing the wildlife, sweating, grunting, railing down descents, and so on.

I also get my motivation from the sportage and flux of my mind and body as the sportly landscape goes by.

"I was up above it. Now I'm down in it".------Trent Reznor.