The Two Towers [OT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Fri, 20 Dec 2002 09:57:46 +0000, Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>James Hodson wrote:
>
>> OTOH, the Dune trilogy has five books.
>
>Sorry: it's 6... Dune, D-Messiah, Children of D, God Emperor of D, Heretics of D, Chapter House D.
>It was a trilogy for many moons though, there was a big gap between 3 and 4, and 4 is several
>thousand years after 3, where the first 3 are a continuous narrative.

I'll have to buy Chapter House in that case. Is it a strict sequel to Heretics or is it based
elsewhere in the time-line?

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

On 20 Dec 2002 06:50:17 -0800, [email protected] (stephen pridgeon) wrote:

>If I may further confuse things...

You may, Stephen. I've just re-read JRRT's notes about the writing of the x.logy. He refers to books
1, 11, 111, .... v1. However, in that case, why The Fellowship otR, the Two Towers, The Return ot K?

James

--

On Sat, 21 Dec 2002 13:17:26 +0000, Ace Agincourt <agincourt1.don'[email protected]> wrote:

>> >I prefer the sound ooze to the sound of the letters US. It brings up images of *slimeballs*,
>> >which seems to fit.
>>
>> Why not use the cockney rhyming slang: Septics. (Septic tanks, yanks) ;-)
>

>What a good idea! At last a generic term for the peoples of the former American colonies. :)

Septic tanks: Old one. But the old ones are the best ones.

But wasn't said area actually a British colony in America?

James

--

On 20 Dec 2002 10:40:18 GMT, Simon Ward <[email protected]> wrote:

>James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>[snip]
>> I've yet to see either film yet. Any good?

[Another SNIP]

Hi Simon, Peter

My DVD viewing equipment is my PC.

Sadly, my sound semi-died a few days ago so I'll have tort sort that out before I buy any DVDs.

BTW, tort (above) was a typo but it may well be appropriate depending on the response I get from my
PC's manufacturer.

James

--

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 21:24:06 +0000, [email protected] (Andrew Templeman) wrote:

>Having read the book a couple of times, watching the film I kept thinking "They've missed out a
>(big) bit there" (such as Tom Bombadil and the Barrow Downs) and at the end "What! There is still
>loads to go!", not realising that it was presented as the trilogy.

Andy

I've just started reading the book again and am quickly approaching the Bombadil couple of chapters.
I'm not really sure of the point of Tom Bombadil; why was he in the story in the first place. The
only relevance as far as I can see is that Frodo (?) suggested later on that the ring may or should
have been left with him.

James

--

On Sat, 21 Dec 2002 23:29:49 +0000, Ace Agincourt <agincourt1.don'[email protected]> wrote:

>> >What a good idea! At last a generic term for the peoples of the former American colonies. :)
>>
>> Septic tanks: Old one. But the old ones are the best ones.
>>
>> But wasn't said area actually a British colony in America?
>

>Jesus! I can be such a goddamn dumbass sometimes!!!!

:))

James

--

On Sat, 21 Dec 2002 20:53:32 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 21 Dec 2002 18:50:56 +0000, James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>My DVD viewing equipment is my PC.
>
>I bought a Mac with built-in DVD player in 1996, I think. I still have it, it is still the only DVD
>player I own, and I've still never played a DVD on it!

Mail to Mesh PC peeps:

Just to confirm that my problem was entirely self-inflicted and almost, but not quite, unnoticed.
Having gone through the directions given in your mail (I'd already acted similarly before I received
it) and spoken to the Mesh Techs I thought I'd actually check the front / rear balance on the
desktop volume knob. As I said on the phone to you, Martin, the balance was set 100% to the rear. So
it's no wonder that there was no sound coming out of the front speakers.

All I can think is that I must have turned down the volume via the desktop volume knob and
accidentally twisted the balance knob at the same time. I apologise for causing you a small amount
of extra, unnecessary work.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, especially if one looks for the complex solution before the
simple one.

DOH!!!!!! James

--

On Mon, 23 Dec 2002 14:03:00 +0000, [email protected] (Marc) wrote:

>> I'm not really sure of the point of Tom Bombadil; why was he in the story in the first place.
>> The only relevance as far as I can see is that Frodo (?) suggested later on that the ring may or
>> should have been left with him.
>
>To rescue them from "Old man Willow"! Tom and the willow are there to show there is a huge world
>outside the Shire and that there is both eveil and good that the Hobbits have never heard of. The
>episode with the willow and the barrowwights is to show the importance of sticking to the
>path/plan/resolve, and the dire consequences of note doing so.

Marc

I can see that.

Thankfully, I've got past that part and the Hobbits are on their way to Bree, where the story
really starts.

Jimbo