The Two Towers [OT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
James Hodson wrote:
> Is http://www.twotowersprotest.org/ for real or is it being ultra subtle?

I think it's for real, there was a petition started a year or so back with the same aims that was
generally laughed at. I'm looking forward to Elvis' comeback special in the next LOTR film.

Hi James Hodson,

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 19:24:28 +0000, in uk.rec.cycling James Hodson put fingers to keyboard and
tapped away writing...

Message ID:- <[email protected]>

> Hi all
>

Unfortunately, it is true. There are people out there who think that The Two Towers is being
deliberately named as an advertising stunt.
--

Best wishes, Ace

==============================

Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide, Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit To his
full height. On, on, you noblest English.

In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of
"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Clearly Tolkien should have had the foresight to realise that two buildings not yet built might be
> attacked by a terrorist organisation not yet formed, and chosen a different title :-/

It's the curse of the Ring.

The last person before Tolkien to base a major story on it got blamed by some for Nazism, despite
having been dead 50 years when that party was elected. So Tolkien has got off lightly - unless he
ends up getting blamed for America's transition from Democracy to Inquisition.

--
Not me guv

James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:

It's for real, sadly. It's also pure quill, 100% ********. I'm almost tempted to say `typically
American' ... bloody bad form that Tolkien didn't predict a couple of aircraft flying into a
building, eh? An excerpt from their FAQ made me laugh, though:

"Many of our members are actually fans of JRR Tolkien's books"

That being the case, they'd probably have known that the second book of LotR was called .... `The
Two Towers'. Free speech is apparently OK as long as others aren't doing the speaking (it could
also be said that those with the loudest voices invariably have the emptiest heads)

Simon
--
Simon Ward, CEM Engineer and Linux hacker Accent Optical Technologies (UK) Ltd., York, YO31 8SD, UK
(ph: 01904 715555) "Apparently, 'Trustworthy Computing' means never having to say you screwed up."
- http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/27074.html

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 20:23:19 +0000, Ace Agincourt <agincourt1.don'[email protected]> wrote:

>Unfortunately, it is true. There are people out there who think that The Two Towers is being
>deliberately named as an advertising stunt.

Hi Ace

How dare you suggest I can type properly! :)

IIRC, USAians referred to the Twin Towers as "The World Trade Center" (sic) buildings #1 & #2".
Please correct me etc.

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

Hi James Hodson,

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 21:03:36 +0000, in uk.rec.cycling James Hodson put fingers to keyboard and
tapped away writing...

> On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 20:23:19 +0000, Ace Agincourt <agincourt1.don'[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Unfortunately, it is true. There are people out there who think that The Two Towers is being
> >deliberately named as an advertising stunt.
>
> Hi Ace
>
> How dare you suggest I can type properly! :)
>
> IIRC, USAians referred to the Twin Towers as "The World Trade Center" (sic) buildings #1 & #2".
> Please correct me etc.

No correction required. You even correctly spelled centre as *center*.
--

Best wishes, Ace

Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide, Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit To his

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 21:38:27 +0000, Ace Agincourt <agincourt1.don'[email protected]> wrote:

>In the book tower #1 was destroyed by a bunch of tree huggers and tower #2 by an eruption of Mount
>Doom (I assume).

Once again Tolkien lives in the past. These days it would be a Quake.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

Simon Hay <[email protected]> wrote:

> There was a news story on this a while back. Unfortunately, it would seem they're for real.
>
> I quote from the website:
>
> "We believe that Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema's actions are in fact hate speech. The movie is
> intentionally being named The Two Towers in order to capitalize on the tragedy of September 11.

Eerrrr? Before they were knocked down wasn't the World Trade Centre ( Grandious, over inflated name
for an office block) called the "Twin Towers" not the "Two Towers"?

Hi Jim King,

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 16:58:36 +0000, in uk.rec.cycling Jim King put fingers to keyboard and tapped
away writing...

> Ace Agincourt wrote:
>
> > I thought that it was the third and fourth books which are collectively known as The Two Towers.
>
> The three books, published in 1954-5 are:
>
> The Fellowship of the Ring The Two Towers The Return of the King

I thought that The Lord of the Rings was one novel consisting of six books.

I don't think that I am mistaken.

It's the film version which is in three parts.
--

Best wishes, Ace

Hi Martin Harlow,

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 17:11:42 +0000, in uk.rec.cycling Martin Harlow put fingers to keyboard and
tapped away writing...

> In article <[email protected]>, Jim King <firstname.lastname @infineon.com> writes
> >Ace Agincourt wrote:
> >
> >> I thought that it was the third and fourth books which are collectively known as The Two
> >> Towers.
> >
> >The three books, published in 1954-5 are:
> >
> >The Fellowship of the Ring The Two Towers The Return of the King
>
> The Return of the King? Change it at once! Clearly a deliberate attempt to upset USians who
> haven't got over the War of Independence yet.

Is USians pronounced *oozeians*?

>
> ttfn
>
> Martin

--

Best wishes, Ace

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 18:47:48 +0000, Ace Agincourt <agincourt1.don'[email protected]> wrote:
>> > I thought that it was the third and fourth books which are collectively known as The Two
>> > Towers.
>>
>> The three books, published in 1954-5 are:
>>
>> The Fellowship of the Ring The Two Towers The Return of the King
>
>
> I thought that The Lord of the Rings was one novel consisting of six books.
>
> I don't think that I am mistaken.
>
> It's the film version which is in three parts.

Well, I've never read it but page one of The Fellowship of the Ring states (the same text is on page
one of the other two books as well):

"This paperback edition reproduces the complete authoritative text of the three books:
1. THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING
2. THE TWO TOWERS
3. THE RETURN OF THE KING

that together make up the full story of THE LORD OF THE RINGS and includes the Appendices in full."

Regards,

Tim.

--
God said, "div D = rho, div B = 0, curl E = - @B/@t, curl H = J + @D/@t," and there was light.

http://tjw.hn.org/ http://www.locofungus.btinternet.co.uk/

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 19:27:49 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>OTOH, the Dune trilogy has five books.
>
>As does the "increasingly inaccurately named" Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy, unless I'm
>much mistaken.
>

Those clever mice returned to Earth recently, don't you know. More precisely, they'd returned to
that particular part of Earth called my kitchen - Hellish Kitchen, maybe.

However, being a good chap, I eliminated them all. One mouse in particular was indeed incredibly
intelligent. It set off the trap several times without killing itself. However, it did end its days
with metal bar though its skull; in the way I'd intended it to pass on.

In fact, I felt rather sorry for the beast. Imagine: you visit your favourite restaurant several
times, get your favourite meal ... free (roast lamb, in my case - bacon rind for the mouse). You're
welcomed back by the matre'd and given more free lovely nosh. The only downside is the occasional
loud noise you hear near your neck.

Then, once you've become a regular and most valued customer, you are smacked on the back of the
skull with a crowbar. Oh well, live fast, dribble urine all over the place and die young.

The dolphins are my next target.

So long, and thanks for all the cagers. James

--

stephen pridgeon wrote:

> LOTR was the first in this genre I ever read, and, IMNSHO, everything else is just a pale
> imitation. Well, am I right in thinking that everything else actually is imitation?

Not really. Where epic tales of fantastic heroes are concerned the various tales of Gilgamesh and
co. predate LotR's writing and publication by a few thousand years!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 08:47:17 +0000, Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>between... Never read any of them (beyond the odd page): found the prose incredibly turgid. But the
>first film was a ripping good yarn.
>

Pete

I, myself, had several false starts with LotR before I managed to get beyond the end of the first
(of six in this instance) book. It's a bit of a shame, IMO, that the first few chapters are a little
turgid, as you state.

I've yet to see eithe film yet. Any good? Worth buying the DVDs for The Fellowship?

James

--

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 17:28:23 +0000, Ace Agincourt <agincourt1.don'[email protected]> wrote:

>I think that Tolkein wanted the novel to be called: The Lord of the Rings: Book I; The Lord of the
>Rings: Book II; The Lord of the Rings: Book III; The Lord of the Rings: Book IV; The Lord of the
>Rings: Book V; The Lord of the Rings Book VI; and The Lord of the Rings: Appendices.

Fertile imagination, that Tolkien.....

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

Martin Harlow wrote:

> Agreed - absolutely stunning! And Gollum is very well done - best CGI character I've ever seen

Yes. He seemed to defy gravity just a little too much while moving to be completely seamless, but
where he's in for close ups I found belief suspension completely automatic. Very good. Packed house
particularly liked him arguing with himself in what will surely be the "Best Services to
Schizophrenia" Oscar nom scene! Treebeard a bit like a Ray Harehausen tribute at times and he sounds
too much like Gimli (same man powering each, of course), but nothing's perfect: we can put up with
bloody good indeed for now though...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Status
Not open for further replies.