The ultimate running shoe

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Theracker, Sep 13, 2003.

  1. Theracker

    Theracker Guest

    I've been running for about fifteen years. I started out in Nike Pegasus which worked well but they
    discontinued them and then every time I found another model I liked Nike discontinued it also after
    a year or so. I finally got disgusted with Nike because of this and said, no more Nikes. I tried
    Asics but they didn't seem to provide as much cushioning. I'm running in new balance now and am
    pretty satisfied but my feet bother me some. I suppose I'm considered a heavy runner at six ft and
    about 175 lbs. What I'm looking for is the ultimate in cushioning, any suggestions?

    Tags:

  2. Leo

    Leo Guest

    I like the Saucony Grid Web. YMMV.

    TheRacker wrote:
    > I've been running for about fifteen years. I started out in Nike Pegasus which worked well but
    > they discontinued them and then every time I found another model I liked Nike discontinued it also
    > after a year or so. I finally got disgusted with Nike because of this and said, no more Nikes. I
    > tried Asics but they didn't seem to provide as much cushioning. I'm running in new balance now and
    > am pretty satisfied but my feet bother me some. I suppose I'm considered a heavy runner at six ft
    > and about 175 lbs. What I'm looking for is the ultimate in cushioning, any suggestions?

  3. D. Icktop

    D. Icktop Guest

    [email protected] (TheRacker) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > satisfied but my feet bother me some. I suppose I'm considered a heavy runner at six ft and about
    > 175 lbs. What I'm looking for is the ultimate in cushioning, any suggestions?
    You may want to look at the Shox - they were recently given Editors choice by Runners World
    and have gotten great reviews from most that wear them. I picked up a pair of the older
    version at a Nike outlet and they are one of the best shoes I've worn, as I fit the profile
    quite well (260lbs, neutral runner). As far as the drivel by bill (ass) rodgers, take it all
    with a grain of salt.

  4. TheRacker wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >I've been running for about fifteen years. I started out in Nike Pegasus
    which
    >worked well but they discontinued them and then every time I found another model I liked Nike
    >discontinued it also after a year or so. I finally got disgusted with Nike because of this and
    >said, no more Nikes. I tried Asics
    but
    >they didn't seem to provide as much cushioning. I'm running in new balance
    now
    >and am pretty satisfied but my feet bother me some. I suppose I'm
    considered a
    >heavy runner at six ft and about 175 lbs. What I'm looking for is the
    ultimate
    >in cushioning, any suggestions?

    I am currently running in the new Reebok Premier Road, which is the most cushioned shoe I've tried
    yet. Good arch too, and not TOO high.

  5. Rick++

    Rick++ Guest

    You'll hate this answer, but the Nike full shox is very soft. It has ten springs in the sole. You
    pay for it too. Retail price is $150, about double the new Pegasus.

  6. Jim Johnson

    Jim Johnson Guest

    "TheRacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've been running for about fifteen years. I started out in Nike Pegasus
    which
    > worked well but they discontinued them and then every time I found another model I liked Nike
    > discontinued it also after a year or so. I finally got disgusted with Nike because of this and
    > said, no more Nikes.

    Nike makes slight changes to the models in their Bowerman line of shoes every 2 years. Generally
    speaking they also have the softest midsoles out there too.

    Jim Johnson

  7. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Oops, forgot to check on my user name after last re-config! news.twtelecom.net wrote in message
    <[email protected]>...

    >TheRacker wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >>I've been running for about fifteen years. I started out in Nike Pegasus
    >which
    >>worked well but they discontinued them and then every time I found another model I liked Nike
    >>discontinued it also after a year or so. I finally got disgusted with Nike because of this and
    >>said, no more Nikes. I tried
    Asics
    >but
    >>they didn't seem to provide as much cushioning. I'm running in new
    balance
    >now
    >>and am pretty satisfied but my feet bother me some. I suppose I'm
    >considered a
    >>heavy runner at six ft and about 175 lbs. What I'm looking for is the
    >ultimate
    >>in cushioning, any suggestions?
    >
    >I am currently running in the new Reebok Premier Road, which is the most cushioned shoe I've tried
    >yet. Good arch too, and not TOO high.

  8. Kelly Lee

    Kelly Lee Guest

    TheRacker wrote:
    > I've been running for about fifteen years. I started out in Nike Pegasus which worked well but
    > they discontinued them and then every time I found another model I liked Nike discontinued it also
    > after a year or so. I finally got disgusted with Nike because of this and said, no more Nikes. I
    > tried Asics but they didn't seem to provide as much cushioning. I'm running in new balance now and
    > am pretty satisfied but my feet bother me some. I suppose I'm considered a heavy runner at six ft
    > and about 175 lbs. What I'm looking for is the ultimate in cushioning, any suggestions?

    I've been running in NB shoes for 20 years, and have always been looking for that "PERFECT SHOE".
    This year I am trying out the NB1220 and of all the NB shoes I've tried in the past, this is so far
    the "PERFECT SHOE". I'm 6ft. 195lb.

    Kelly Lee

  9. Lyndon

    Lyndon Guest

    >I've been running for about fifteen years. I started out in Nike Pegasus which worked well but they
    >discontinued them and then every time I found another model I liked Nike discontinued it also after
    >a year or so. I finally got disgusted with Nike because of this and said, no more Nikes. I tried
    >Asics but they didn't seem to provide as much cushioning. I'm running in new balance now and am
    >pretty satisfied but my feet bother me some. I suppose I'm considered a heavy runner at six ft and
    >about 175 lbs. What I'm looking for is the ultimate in cushioning, any suggestions?

    You should reconsider your premise--that cushioning is good for you. The cushioning does not
    actually absorb energy (i.e. cushion). It simply changes the frequency dynamic, but if you run with
    improper form, the energy still gets to your knees and hips. Heavily cushioned shoes with built-up
    heels also encourage certain muscles in your feet to atrophy, with negative effects from the
    standpoint of staying healthy. One researcher has found that expensive shoes (i.e., the most heavily
    cushioned) cause significantly more injuries than the "old" style that cost a lot less (and the Nike
    marketing people would like to hang him).

    So you will find people here like Ozzie and David that intentionally run in shoes WITHOUT cushioning
    (I believe David still does his training in racing flats). I do run some of the time in cushioned
    trainers (I'm 6'4"/190 and using Adidas Ride right now) but I also do some running barefoot and some
    on the track each week in spikes (I'm talking the Jasari and sprint spikes, which are the most
    UNcushioned "running" shoes you can get).

    Beware of the law of unintended consequences. If you THINK you need cushioned shoes, either:

    (a) you are being duped by the marketing people from the shoe companies; or

    (b) there is something wrong with your running style.

    Lyndon "Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!" --US Olympic Track Coach Brooks Johnson

  10. Stephen

    Stephen Guest

    Your my height and weight. I recommend NB 716. There nice and cushy.

    "TheRacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've been running for about fifteen years. I started out in Nike Pegasus
    which
    > worked well but they discontinued them and then every time I found another model I liked Nike
    > discontinued it also after a year or so. I finally got disgusted with Nike because of this and
    > said, no more Nikes. I tried
    Asics but
    > they didn't seem to provide as much cushioning. I'm running in new
    balance now
    > and am pretty satisfied but my feet bother me some. I suppose I'm
    considered a
    > heavy runner at six ft and about 175 lbs. What I'm looking for is the
    ultimate
    > in cushioning, any suggestions?

  11. Robert Karp

    Robert Karp Guest

    [email protected] (TheRacker) wrote:

    >I've been running for about fifteen years. I started out in Nike Pegasus which worked well but they
    >discontinued them

    The Pegasus is still available, if that's what you want.

  12. D. Icktop

    D. Icktop Guest

    [email protected] (Bill-always hard-Rodgers ) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > You dumbass. Nearly everyone agrees these are pure shit, but leave it to you to recommend a
    > dangerous shoe to an unsuspecting person. Good luck buying a new pair every 100 miles (if
    > your lucky.)

    your mom/wife/sister (after all they're the same person) don't count. Also, who says they are
    "dangerous"? Please....Your credenials as a podiatrist or a shoe designer, please. Didn't think so.

    > Gee let's see... how does RW make money? Advertising dollars. Now who is RW biggest advertising
    > account? Nike. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure that article out. These are some
    > of the most unstable shoes on the market today.

    Let's see, the head reviewer likes them, people who wear them like them, wear testers like
    them, I guess they must be shit then. And, FYI RW has given Editors choice to NB, Asics,
    Mizuno, etc, so your "theory" (like everything else from your pie hole) is pure BS. For many
    they work well. It's been proven that they have some of the best cushioning out there.

    > You and your cousin/wife Becky aren't really "everyone" because they have been completely ripped
    > apart on this newsgroup, and several others.
    By who? You? Who else? They work well for some. Actually, if you were over in RW's forums,
    you'd notice that they actually reccomend Mizuno quite a bit. Please tell how they have been
    "ripped apart".

    > So you're a big, fat, overweight slob, who jogs a couple of miles to shake up the rolls of your
    > chins, and were supposed to take advice from a know-nothing like you? Ha!

    Wrong. Try built like a football player, etc. Most of it is muscle, not fat.

  13. Doc

    Doc Guest

    I have just wearing the Reebok Premiere after years of New Balance and love the new Reeboks. The toe
    box is great, my toenails are actually going to be able to stay on with these shoes and so far they
    aren't turning purple either.

    Diane "news.twtelecom.net" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > TheRacker wrote in message
    <[email protected]>...
    > >I've been running for about fifteen years. I started out in Nike Pegasus
    > which
    > >worked well but they discontinued them and then every time I found
    another
    > >model I liked Nike discontinued it also after a year or so. I finally
    got
    > >disgusted with Nike because of this and said, no more Nikes. I tried
    Asics
    > but
    > >they didn't seem to provide as much cushioning. I'm running in new
    balance
    > now
    > >and am pretty satisfied but my feet bother me some. I suppose I'm
    > considered a
    > >heavy runner at six ft and about 175 lbs. What I'm looking for is the
    > ultimate
    > >in cushioning, any suggestions?
    >
    > I am currently running in the new Reebok Premier Road, which is the most cushioned shoe I've tried
    > yet. Good arch too, and not TOO high.

  14. D. Icktop

    D. Icktop Guest

    [email protected] (Bill-always hard-Rodgers ) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > No other brands at all? This reminds me of the guy who drives Fords (the Nike of the car world)
    > when you tell him Fords are pieces of
    Too bad that logic (like all your drivel) is flawed. GM is the #1 car company, not Ford.
    > So are Nikes a good shoe, or do they pay big bucks in advertising dollars? Answer: They suck, but
    > they pay good.

    Define suck. (Besides what you do to another man)

  15. D. Icktop

    D. Icktop Guest

    [email protected] (Bill-always hard-Rodgers ) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Please, the rest of your idiotic post is BS too, and you know it. You TROLL!

    Sorry, unlike you, I actually contribute meaningful things.

    >>Wrong. Try built like a football player, etc. Most of it is muscle, not fat.
    >
    > Yes, all drunk, fat guys say that. Most add in "This stomach LOOKS like fat, but it's
    > puuuuuuuuuure muscle!" See dipshit, you'd have to 0'6" tall to not be fat at your stats.
    See, you actually do know nothing. I guess bodybuilders are fat (although I'm not a
    bodybuilder)? Shut your pie hole before you make more of an ass out of yourself!

  16. In article <[email protected]>, Lyndon <[email protected]> wrote:

    > So you will find people here like Ozzie and David that intentionally run in shoes WITHOUT
    > cushioning (I believe David still does his training in racing flats). I do run some of the time in
    > cushioned trainers (I'm 6'4"/190 and using Adidas Ride right now) but I also do some running
    > barefoot and some on the track each week in spikes (I'm talking the Jasari and sprint spikes,
    > which are the most UNcushioned "running" shoes you can get).
    >
    > Beware of the law of unintended consequences. If you THINK you need cushioned shoes, either:
    > (a) you are being duped by the marketing people from the shoe companies; or
    > (b) there is something wrong with your running style. Lyndon

    Just looked in my closet at the 3 pair of NB's I'm wearing for training:
    NB 110
    NB RC 210
    NB Racewalking 100

    I pick up my NB from the return rack at Road Runner Sports here in San Diego. Allows me to pay about
    half of the going price on these returns.

    I gut the shoe and put in the plain Spenco neophrene insole without arch or anything else. Also I've
    been running bare socked for 20 plus years. All my training runs and the last 50 or 60 of my
    marathons are run without socks.

    For me the issue is about running style rather than the shoes.

    In health and on the run, Ozzie Gontang Maintainer - rec.running FAQ Director, San Diego Marathon
    Clinic, est. 1975

    Mindful Running: http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/

  17. Brian Jones

    Brian Jones Guest

    If you really love cushioning, you might try the NB 879. I have been running in 879's and their
    predecessors for about 5 years now and I can't imagine much more cushioning in a shoe.

    For what it's worth, I am considering moving to something with less cushioning in the near future,
    because I am no longer convinced that cushioning is where the action is (but that is perhaps a
    long story).

    Brian Jones "Kelly Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > TheRacker wrote:
    > > I've been running for about fifteen years. I started out in Nike
    Pegasus which
    > > worked well but they discontinued them and then every time I found
    another
    > > model I liked Nike discontinued it also after a year or so. I finally
    got
    > > disgusted with Nike because of this and said, no more Nikes. I tried
    Asics but
    > > they didn't seem to provide as much cushioning. I'm running in new
    balance now
    > > and am pretty satisfied but my feet bother me some. I suppose I'm
    considered a
    > > heavy runner at six ft and about 175 lbs. What I'm looking for is the
    ultimate
    > > in cushioning, any suggestions?
    >
    > I've been running in NB shoes for 20 years, and have always been looking for that "PERFECT SHOE".
    > This year I am trying out the NB1220 and of all the NB shoes I've tried in the past, this is so
    > far the "PERFECT SHOE". I'm 6ft. 195lb.
    >
    > Kelly Lee

  18. Doc

    Doc Guest

    I don't know about your supplier but here in Ontario the Reebok's also have a 30 day guarantee for
    return no matter where you have worn them. I also recieved a message from someone who is now blocked
    from my list but when I run 20+ km my toenails always have a problem and right now I am in an 8.5
    men's shoe, ( 1.5 sizes up from my regular) which has helped alot. Have a great day!!

    D."Doc" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have just wearing the Reebok Premiere after years of New Balance and
    love
    > the new Reeboks. The toe box is great, my toenails are actually going to
    be
    > able to stay on with these shoes and so far they aren't turning purple either.
    >
    > Diane "news.twtelecom.net" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > TheRacker wrote in message
    > <[email protected]>...
    > > >I've been running for about fifteen years. I started out in Nike
    Pegasus
    > > which
    > > >worked well but they discontinued them and then every time I found
    > another
    > > >model I liked Nike discontinued it also after a year or so. I finally
    > got
    > > >disgusted with Nike because of this and said, no more Nikes. I tried
    > Asics
    > > but
    > > >they didn't seem to provide as much cushioning. I'm running in new
    > balance
    > > now
    > > >and am pretty satisfied but my feet bother me some. I suppose I'm
    > > considered a
    > > >heavy runner at six ft and about 175 lbs. What I'm looking for is the
    > > ultimate
    > > >in cushioning, any suggestions?
    > >
    > > I am currently running in the new Reebok Premier Road, which is the most cushioned shoe I've
    > > tried yet. Good arch too, and not TOO high.

  19. Madmaxx

    Madmaxx Guest

    HOW in the world could he make more of an ass out of himself?

    > Shut your pie hole before you make more of an ass out of yourself!

  20. Mrsg

    Mrsg Guest

    TheRacker <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've been running for about fifteen years. I started out in Nike Pegasus
    which
    > worked well but they discontinued them and then every time I found another model I liked Nike
    > discontinued it also after a year or so. I finally got disgusted with Nike because of this and
    > said, no more Nikes. I tried
    Asics but
    > they didn't seem to provide as much cushioning. I'm running in new
    balance now
    > and am pretty satisfied but my feet bother me some. I suppose I'm
    considered a
    > heavy runner at six ft and about 175 lbs. What I'm looking for is the
    ultimate
    > in cushioning, any suggestions?

    The Saucony Shadow 6000 is a great shoe. Like you, finding the right shoe has been only half of my
    battle. As soon as you find one that you like it's discontinued. A gentleman at a local running
    store assured me that these have been around for awhile, and they will not likely be discontinued in
    the near future. I'm on my ninth pair. They have plenty of cushion and the Saucony trademark wide
    toe box and narrower heal. Good luck on your search. Michelle