The ultimate running shoe

Theracker

Guest
I've been running for about fifteen years. I started out in Nike Pegasus which worked well but they
discontinued them and then every time I found another model I liked Nike discontinued it also after
a year or so. I finally got disgusted with Nike because of this and said, no more Nikes. I tried
Asics but they didn't seem to provide as much cushioning. I'm running in new balance now and am
pretty satisfied but my feet bother me some. I suppose I'm considered a heavy runner at six ft and
about 175 lbs. What I'm looking for is the ultimate in cushioning, any suggestions?

I like the Saucony Grid Web. YMMV.

[email protected] (TheRacker) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> satisfied but my feet bother me some. I suppose I'm considered a heavy runner at six ft and about
> 175 lbs. What I'm looking for is the ultimate in cushioning, any suggestions?
You may want to look at the Shox - they were recently given Editors choice by Runners World
and have gotten great reviews from most that wear them. I picked up a pair of the older
version at a Nike outlet and they are one of the best shoes I've worn, as I fit the profile
quite well (260lbs, neutral runner). As far as the drivel by bill (ass) rodgers, take it all
with a grain of salt.

TheRacker wrote in message <[email protected]>...
>I've been running for about fifteen years. I started out in Nike Pegasus
which
>worked well but they discontinued them and then every time I found another model I liked Nike
>discontinued it also after a year or so. I finally got disgusted with Nike because of this and
>said, no more Nikes. I tried Asics
but
>they didn't seem to provide as much cushioning. I'm running in new balance
now
>and am pretty satisfied but my feet bother me some. I suppose I'm
considered a
>heavy runner at six ft and about 175 lbs. What I'm looking for is the
ultimate
>in cushioning, any suggestions?

I am currently running in the new Reebok Premier Road, which is the most cushioned shoe I've tried
yet. Good arch too, and not TOO high.

You'll hate this answer, but the Nike full shox is very soft. It has ten springs in the sole. You
pay for it too. Retail price is $150, about double the new Pegasus.

"TheRacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I've been running for about fifteen years. I started out in Nike Pegasus
which
> worked well but they discontinued them and then every time I found another model I liked Nike
> discontinued it also after a year or so. I finally got disgusted with Nike because of this and
> said, no more Nikes.

Nike makes slight changes to the models in their Bowerman line of shoes every 2 years. Generally
speaking they also have the softest midsoles out there too.

Jim Johnson

Oops, forgot to check on my user name after last re-config! news.twtelecom.net wrote in message
<[email protected]>...

>TheRacker wrote in message <[email protected]>...
>>I've been running for about fifteen years. I started out in Nike Pegasus
>which
>>worked well but they discontinued them and then every time I found another model I liked Nike
>>discontinued it also after a year or so. I finally got disgusted with Nike because of this and
>>said, no more Nikes. I tried
Asics

TheRacker wrote:
> I've been running for about fifteen years. I started out in Nike Pegasus which worked well but
> they discontinued them and then every time I found another model I liked Nike discontinued it also
> after a year or so. I finally got disgusted with Nike because of this and said, no more Nikes. I
> tried Asics but they didn't seem to provide as much cushioning. I'm running in new balance now and
> am pretty satisfied but my feet bother me some. I suppose I'm considered a heavy runner at six ft
> and about 175 lbs. What I'm looking for is the ultimate in cushioning, any suggestions?

I've been running in NB shoes for 20 years, and have always been looking for that "PERFECT SHOE".
This year I am trying out the NB1220 and of all the NB shoes I've tried in the past, this is so far
the "PERFECT SHOE". I'm 6ft. 195lb.

Kelly Lee

>I've been running for about fifteen years. I started out in Nike Pegasus which worked well but they
>discontinued them and then every time I found another model I liked Nike discontinued it also after
>a year or so. I finally got disgusted with Nike because of this and said, no more Nikes. I tried
>Asics but they didn't seem to provide as much cushioning. I'm running in new balance now and am
>pretty satisfied but my feet bother me some. I suppose I'm considered a heavy runner at six ft and
>about 175 lbs. What I'm looking for is the ultimate in cushioning, any suggestions?

You should reconsider your premise--that cushioning is good for you. The cushioning does not
actually absorb energy (i.e. cushion). It simply changes the frequency dynamic, but if you run with
improper form, the energy still gets to your knees and hips. Heavily cushioned shoes with built-up
heels also encourage certain muscles in your feet to atrophy, with negative effects from the
standpoint of staying healthy. One researcher has found that expensive shoes (i.e., the most heavily
cushioned) cause significantly more injuries than the "old" style that cost a lot less (and the Nike
marketing people would like to hang him).

So you will find people here like Ozzie and David that intentionally run in shoes WITHOUT cushioning
(I believe David still does his training in racing flats). I do run some of the time in cushioned
trainers (I'm 6'4"/190 and using Adidas Ride right now) but I also do some running barefoot and some
on the track each week in spikes (I'm talking the Jasari and sprint spikes, which are the most
UNcushioned "running" shoes you can get).

Beware of the law of unintended consequences. If you THINK you need cushioned shoes, either:

(a) you are being duped by the marketing people from the shoe companies; or

(b) there is something wrong with your running style.

Lyndon "Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!" --US Olympic Track Coach Brooks Johnson

Your my height and weight. I recommend NB 716. There nice and cushy.

"TheRacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I've been running for about fifteen years. I started out in Nike Pegasus
which
> worked well but they discontinued them and then every time I found another model I liked Nike
> discontinued it also after a year or so. I finally got disgusted with Nike because of this and
> said, no more Nikes. I tried
Asics but
> they didn't seem to provide as much cushioning. I'm running in new
balance now
> and am pretty satisfied but my feet bother me some. I suppose I'm
considered a
> heavy runner at six ft and about 175 lbs. What I'm looking for is the
ultimate
> in cushioning, any suggestions?

[email protected] (TheRacker) wrote:

>I've been running for about fifteen years. I started out in Nike Pegasus which worked well but they
>discontinued them

The Pegasus is still available, if that's what you want.

[email protected] (Bill-always hard-Rodgers ) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> You dumbass. Nearly everyone agrees these are pure ****, but leave it to you to recommend a
> dangerous shoe to an unsuspecting person. Good luck buying a new pair every 100 miles (if
> your lucky.)

your mom/wife/sister (after all they're the same person) don't count. Also, who says they are
"dangerous"? Please....Your credenials as a podiatrist or a shoe designer, please. Didn't think so.

> Gee let's see... how does RW make money? Advertising dollars. Now who is RW biggest advertising
> account? Nike. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure that article out. These are some
> of the most unstable shoes on the market today.

Let's see, the head reviewer likes them, people who wear them like them, wear testers like
them, I guess they must be **** then. And, FYI RW has given Editors choice to NB, Asics,
Mizuno, etc, so your "theory" (like everything else from your pie hole) is pure BS. For many
they work well. It's been proven that they have some of the best cushioning out there.

> You and your cousin/wife Becky aren't really "everyone" because they have been completely ripped
> apart on this newsgroup, and several others.
By who? You? Who else? They work well for some. Actually, if you were over in RW's forums,
you'd notice that they actually reccomend Mizuno quite a bit. Please tell how they have been
"ripped apart".

> So you're a big, fat, overweight slob, who jogs a couple of miles to shake up the rolls of your
> chins, and were supposed to take advice from a know-nothing like you? Ha!

Wrong. Try built like a football player, etc. Most of it is muscle, not fat.

I have just wearing the Reebok Premiere after years of New Balance and love the new Reeboks. The toe
box is great, my toenails are actually going to be able to stay on with these shoes and so far they
aren't turning purple either.

Diane "news.twtelecom.net" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> TheRacker wrote in message
<[email protected]>...
> >I've been running for about fifteen years. I started out in Nike Pegasus
> which
> >worked well but they discontinued them and then every time I found
another
> >model I liked Nike discontinued it also after a year or so. I finally
got
> >disgusted with Nike because of this and said, no more Nikes. I tried
Asics
> but
> >they didn't seem to provide as much cushioning. I'm running in new
balance
> now
> >and am pretty satisfied but my feet bother me some. I suppose I'm
> considered a
> >heavy runner at six ft and about 175 lbs. What I'm looking for is the
> ultimate
> >in cushioning, any suggestions?
>
> I am currently running in the new Reebok Premier Road, which is the most cushioned shoe I've tried
> yet. Good arch too, and not TOO high.

[email protected] (Bill-always hard-Rodgers ) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> No other brands at all? This reminds me of the guy who drives Fords (the Nike of the car world)
> when you tell him Fords are pieces of
Too bad that logic (like all your drivel) is flawed. GM is the #1 car company, not Ford.
> So are Nikes a good shoe, or do they pay big bucks in advertising dollars? Answer: They suck, but
> they pay good.

Define suck. (Besides what you do to another man)

[email protected] (Bill-always hard-Rodgers ) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Please, the rest of your idiotic post is BS too, and you know it. You TROLL!

Sorry, unlike you, I actually contribute meaningful things.

>>Wrong. Try built like a football player, etc. Most of it is muscle, not fat.
>
> Yes, all drunk, fat guys say that. Most add in "This stomach LOOKS like fat, but it's
> puuuuuuuuuure muscle!" See dipshit, you'd have to 0'6" tall to not be fat at your stats.
See, you actually do know nothing. I guess bodybuilders are fat (although I'm not a
bodybuilder)? Shut your pie hole before you make more of an ass out of yourself!

In article <[email protected]>, Lyndon <[email protected]> wrote:

> So you will find people here like Ozzie and David that intentionally run in shoes WITHOUT
> cushioning (I believe David still does his training in racing flats). I do run some of the time in
> cushioned trainers (I'm 6'4"/190 and using Adidas Ride right now) but I also do some running
> barefoot and some on the track each week in spikes (I'm talking the Jasari and sprint spikes,
> which are the most UNcushioned "running" shoes you can get).
>
> Beware of the law of unintended consequences. If you THINK you need cushioned shoes, either:
> (a) you are being duped by the marketing people from the shoe companies; or
> (b) there is something wrong with your running style. Lyndon

Just looked in my closet at the 3 pair of NB's I'm wearing for training:
NB 110
NB RC 210
NB Racewalking 100

I pick up my NB from the return rack at Road Runner Sports here in San Diego. Allows me to pay about
half of the going price on these returns.

I gut the shoe and put in the plain Spenco neophrene insole without arch or anything else. Also I've
been running bare socked for 20 plus years. All my training runs and the last 50 or 60 of my
marathons are run without socks.

For me the issue is about running style rather than the shoes.

In health and on the run, Ozzie Gontang Maintainer - rec.running FAQ Director, San Diego Marathon
Clinic, est. 1975

Mindful Running: http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/

If you really love cushioning, you might try the NB 879. I have been running in 879's and their
predecessors for about 5 years now and I can't imagine much more cushioning in a shoe.

For what it's worth, I am considering moving to something with less cushioning in the near future,
because I am no longer convinced that cushioning is where the action is (but that is perhaps a
long story).

Brian Jones "Kelly Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> TheRacker wrote:
> > I've been running for about fifteen years. I started out in Nike
Pegasus which
> > worked well but they discontinued them and then every time I found
another
> > model I liked Nike discontinued it also after a year or so. I finally
got
> > disgusted with Nike because of this and said, no more Nikes. I tried
Asics but
> > they didn't seem to provide as much cushioning. I'm running in new
balance now
> > and am pretty satisfied but my feet bother me some. I suppose I'm
considered a
> > heavy runner at six ft and about 175 lbs. What I'm looking for is the
ultimate
> > in cushioning, any suggestions?
>
> I've been running in NB shoes for 20 years, and have always been looking for that "PERFECT SHOE".
> This year I am trying out the NB1220 and of all the NB shoes I've tried in the past, this is so
> far the "PERFECT SHOE". I'm 6ft. 195lb.
>
> Kelly Lee

I don't know about your supplier but here in Ontario the Reebok's also have a 30 day guarantee for
return no matter where you have worn them. I also recieved a message from someone who is now blocked
from my list but when I run 20+ km my toenails always have a problem and right now I am in an 8.5
men's shoe, ( 1.5 sizes up from my regular) which has helped alot. Have a great day!!

D."Doc" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have just wearing the Reebok Premiere after years of New Balance and
love
> the new Reeboks. The toe box is great, my toenails are actually going to
be
> able to stay on with these shoes and so far they aren't turning purple either.
>
> Diane "news.twtelecom.net" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > TheRacker wrote in message
> <[email protected]>...
> > >I've been running for about fifteen years. I started out in Nike
Pegasus
> > which
> > >worked well but they discontinued them and then every time I found
> another
> > >model I liked Nike discontinued it also after a year or so. I finally
> got
> > >disgusted with Nike because of this and said, no more Nikes. I tried
> Asics
> > but
> > >they didn't seem to provide as much cushioning. I'm running in new
> balance
> > now
> > >and am pretty satisfied but my feet bother me some. I suppose I'm
> > considered a
> > >heavy runner at six ft and about 175 lbs. What I'm looking for is the
> > ultimate
> > >in cushioning, any suggestions?
> >
> > I am currently running in the new Reebok Premier Road, which is the most cushioned shoe I've
> > tried yet. Good arch too, and not TOO high.

HOW in the world could he make more of an ass out of himself?

> Shut your pie hole before you make more of an ass out of yourself!

TheRacker <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I've been running for about fifteen years. I started out in Nike Pegasus
which
> worked well but they discontinued them and then every time I found another model I liked Nike
> discontinued it also after a year or so. I finally got disgusted with Nike because of this and
> said, no more Nikes. I tried
Asics but
> they didn't seem to provide as much cushioning. I'm running in new
balance now
> and am pretty satisfied but my feet bother me some. I suppose I'm
considered a
> heavy runner at six ft and about 175 lbs. What I'm looking for is the
ultimate
> in cushioning, any suggestions?

The Saucony Shadow 6000 is a great shoe. Like you, finding the right shoe has been only half of my
battle. As soon as you find one that you like it's discontinued. A gentleman at a local running
store assured me that these have been around for awhile, and they will not likely be discontinued in
the near future. I'm on my ninth pair. They have plenty of cushion and the Saucony trademark wide
toe box and narrower heal. Good luck on your search. Michelle