The Ultimate training tire!

TiMan

Sep 29, 2003
Now Conti has gone one better.....they now offer their Gator Skins in "folding", at 220 grams! No other training tire even comes close in flat protection, durabilty, ride quality and weight!

Used them today in a race...loved them.

:D

TiMan said:
Now Conti has gone one better.....they now offer their Gator Skins in "folding", at 220 grams! No other training tire even comes close in flat protection, durabilty, ride quality and weight!

Used them today in a race...loved them.

:D
Nice. I've always liked Conti's. Generous tread patterns especially on their MTB tires. I wondered if they'd be introducing some new models/variants as they have apparently phased out the Ultra 2000 & 3000 wire beads. I stocked up on a bunch of them at $10 each!

This thread may be better suited in the Equipment Forum though. ;)

TiMan said:

Is that a Mtn Bike tire or a road tire ?

I'm very happy with Vredestein Ricorso tires for training. I hit my top speed of 32.9 mph on them and never had a flat yet. And they're cheap $9 to $14 tires depnding on where you get them. These are road bike tires.

JTE83 said:
Is that a Mtn Bike tire or a road tire ?

I'm very happy with Vredestein Ricorso tires for training. I hit my top speed of 32.9 mph on them and never had a flat yet. And they're cheap $9 to $14 tires depnding on where you get them. These are road bike tires.

Road tires.

Gators are the worst tyre I ever used! Grip is appalling and puncture resistance is almost non-existant!

woodstar said:
Gators are the worst tyre I ever used! Grip is appalling and puncture resistance is almost non-existant!

You reply is a joke right? Maybe you got a defective pair when you tried them.
My entire team uses them while training and everyone loves them.

I have used the wire bead models for years and have had very very few flats/problems. I use one pair for each season for training and thats a lot of miles.

:eek:

woodstar said:

Are you for real? You must be joking right???

I was just thinking about posting a tire question and found this post. I am due for a new set of tires. I like the conti gp3000 ,but have been riding the vittoria open corsa evo cx for training and racing. The tread wears quicker but they seem to puncture less (or maybe that's just better luck). I was thinking about running the conti attack/force set any comments on these? How do they hold up as far as wear and puncture compared to the two I listed?

warrior1 said:
I was just thinking about posting a tire question and found this post. I am due for a new set of tires. I like the conti gp3000 ,but have been riding the vittoria open corsa evo cx for training and racing. The tread wears quicker but they seem to puncture less (or maybe that's just better luck). I was thinking about running the conti attack/force set any comments on these? How do they hold up as far as wear and puncture compared to the two I listed?

I have been a big gatorskin fan for their longlife and good feel for a training tyre, that said I have 6000+k's on the conti 3000's and they are still going string (no punctures either)

So have you rode the attack/force set yet? Your recommending either the gatorskin or the gp3000 as a good long lasting tire. What tire do you race with?
I usually race the tire I train with because I don't race that many races maybe about six a summer.

PiledHigher said:
I have been a big gatorskin fan for their longlife and good feel for a training tyre, that said I have 6000+k's on the conti 3000's and they are still going string (no punctures either)

warrior1 said:
So have you rode the attack/force set yet? Your recommending either the gatorskin or the gp3000 as a good long lasting tire. What tire do you race with?
I usually race the tire I train with because I don't race that many races maybe about six a summer.

I have been racing on the GP3000 as they came on the current bike, previously race tyres have been Michelin Bi-synergy or Pro-race which are probably slightly stickier but less long lasting.

warrior1 said:

The Conti Attack Force Tires are Fast & Smooth, I have trained and raced on them, got on the Podium a couple times with Attack/Force on my Six13.
They are one of the faster clincher tires you will find, I will say, add rim strip tape to your wheels if you use superlight tubes.

I only had one puncture on a Conti A/F and that was from running over a piece of steel wire while cornering. It was a sidewall puncture and I think any tire would have bit the dust on that hit.

Pump these tires up to their Max and enjoy the low rolling resistance, on smooth to semi smooth roads they handle like your riding on air.

Good Luck
K's Daddy :)

warrior1 said:

The 3000's are very good but they don't hold up in training as well as the gators.

The Gator Skins will last longer and gives far fewer flats.

The new foldable Gators are light enough to race with(220 grams) and they give a very good road "feel" as well as fast roll.... so they are perfect for someone that races with a the same tire that he trains with.

As I mentioned NO other training tire even come close. The new foldable gators will soon be the industry standard. Already the many national level riders are starting to pick them up here in Tucson.

Nothing is worse than doing a fast group ride and then getting a flat.

I race with the new Specialized Mondo Works tires but I have decided to use the foldable gators for some races that see rougher surface conditions.

TiMan said:
You reply is a joke right? Maybe you got a defective pair when you tried them.
My entire team uses them while training and everyone loves them.

I have used the wire bead models for years and have had very very few flats/problems. I use one pair for each season for training and thats a lot of miles.

:eek:
No joke! These are truely the worst tyre imaginable! I'd be lucky to last 150 miles without puncturing. More and more people I speak to have had similar experiences with them.

Views on these tyres are very polarised, love or hate; I hate them and won't ever use them again!

Using the GP3000s now. I'll keep an eye out for these new ones next time I need a change. If they suck, I'll throw them on my indoor trainer. :p

cydewaze said:
Using the GP3000s now. I'll keep an eye out for these new ones next time I need a change. If they suck, I'll throw them on my indoor trainer. :p
GP3000s are a great allround tyre. Standard Grand Prix are great for a more robust tyre.

The Ultra 2000's are the best indoor trainer tire that I have found. I got a couple of them on sale, but it is taking for-frikkin-ever to chew through the first one. :D

woodstar said:
GP3000s are a great allround tyre. Standard Grand Prix are great for a more robust tyre.
I've been really happy with the 3000s, and before those I used the std GP and was equally happy. I very rarely flat, so I guess the durability hasn't been too much of a concern.

The indoor trainer sure eats up the rubber though.

For those that are interested ...the absolute "toughest" training tire for the road is the Specialized Armadillo. It is pretty much bomb proof but it weighs about 375 grams and has a somewhat "hard" feel. It is ideal for the larger rider...guys 185 and up.

TiMan said:
For those that are interested ...the absolute "toughest" training tire for the road is the Specialized Armadillo. It is pretty much bomb proof but it weighs about 375 grams and has a somewhat "hard" feel. It is ideal for the larger rider...guys 185 and up.
Totally agree! Armadillos are brilliant. In fact I had to bin one the other day due to an 8inch tear down a sidewall. Can't complain though, it was 5 years old, done about 12,000 miles and not punctured once!