the us taxpayers foot the bill, to the tune of...657 billion and counting

It's a vast amount of money, Spin.
I intend to try to get a copy of that study as I am curious to see if this valuation includes war reparations which the USA will have to pay to Iraq.

But your broader point is interesting.
Given all that expenditure, do you feel safer?
And who exactly benefits from all this expenditure?
Certainly the hard pressed US taxpayer doesn't.
The military and the companies selling military equipment benefit from this expednditure.
The companies benefiting from constructional/engineering contracts benefit too.
But at the end of the day, it is the US taxpayer footing the bill.
A taxpayer who's safety may not have been enhanced at the end of the day too.

limerickman said:
I intend to try to get a copy of that study as I am curious to see if this valuation includes war reparations which the USA will have to pay to Iraq.

The military and the companies selling military equipment benefit from this expednditure.
And not just the us taxpayer.Rising fuel prices affect us all,in a multitude of ways.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Quite sickening, isn't it? As long as it's going for a useless war, it's OK for the Repukes and their pukey voters. But not if it were spent at home to actually help people, (infrastructure, health care, environmental clean-up, alternate energy R&D.)

it is true, the military of other nations is used for these purposes, such as rescue and road/engineering projects...
witness the mexican army responding with life preserving and saving measures in short order during the katrina aftermath.

Wurm said:
Quite sickening, isn't it? As long as it's going for a useless war, it's OK for the Repukes and their pukey voters. But not if it were spent at home to actually help people, (infrastructure, health care, environmental clean-up, alternate energy R&D.)

Not to mention all of the assistance and materiel that was refused/turned away post-Katrina by the Bush-pukes at FEMA, and months later these snakes have yet to do much for the victims.

Then we have the NON-funding or extremely limited funding of everything else in 'Murka that was good such as No Child Left Behind/Head Start, Food Stamps, Medicaid, National Endowment for the Arts, Veterans bennies and health care, highways, debt reduction....well, you name it and it's been ****** away to the military and wealthy tax windfalls.

limerickman said:

Lim,I don't think the us will be paying any reparations to anyone.Quite the opposite,they will loot the place.