The weather man

Rooney

Guest
From
http://www.lake-district.gov.uk/weatherline/a_day_in_the_life/index.php

Q What are the worst parts of the job?

A Badly equipped walkers really annoy me. They can be out here in full
winter conditions, wearing trainers and jeans. They expect to follow a
path to the top. Most know they are completely out of their depth and
welcome help. I see myself as their friend on the hill. Only a few
resent my intervention.

Cheeky basta*d!

In article <[email protected]>, Rooney
<[email protected]> writes
>From
>http://www.lake-district.gov.uk/weatherline/a_day_in_the_life/index.php
>

>Q What are the worst parts of the job?
>
>A Badly equipped walkers really annoy me. They can be out here in full
>winter conditions, wearing trainers and jeans. They expect to follow a
>path to the top. Most know they are completely out of their depth and
>welcome help. I see myself as their friend on the hill. Only a few
>resent my intervention.
>

>Cheeky basta*d!

Mr arrogant also thinks a Brocken Spectre is his "reflection" on a
cloud...

--

Dominic Sexton

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:22:25 +0000, Rooney <[email protected]>
uttered:

>From
>http://www.lake-district.gov.uk/weatherline/a_day_in_the_life/index.php
>

>Q What are the worst parts of the job?
>
>A Badly equipped walkers really annoy me. They can be out here in full
>winter conditions, wearing trainers and jeans. They expect to follow a
>path to the top. Most know they are completely out of their depth and
>welcome help. I see myself as their friend on the hill. Only a few
>resent my intervention.
>

>Cheeky basta*d!

So you don't think that someone poorly prepared is a potential
problem?

--
Dewi,

(remove spin for email)

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 17:34:43 +0000, Dewi
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:22:25 +0000, Rooney <[email protected]>
>uttered:
>
>>From
>>http://www.lake-district.gov.uk/weatherline/a_day_in_the_life/index.php
>>

>>Q What are the worst parts of the job?
>>
>>A Badly equipped walkers really annoy me. They can be out here in full
>>winter conditions, wearing trainers and jeans. They expect to follow a
>>path to the top. Most know they are completely out of their depth and
>>welcome help. I see myself as their friend on the hill. Only a few
>>resent my intervention.
>>

>>Cheeky basta*d!

>So you don't think that someone poorly prepared is a potential
>problem?

To a weather recorder? Possibly. They may be about to break his nose
for being an arrogant tw*t.

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 17:50:31 +0000, Rooney <[email protected]>
uttered:

>On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 17:34:43 +0000, Dewi
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:22:25 +0000, Rooney <[email protected]>
>>uttered:
>>
>>>From
>>>http://www.lake-district.gov.uk/weatherline/a_day_in_the_life/index.php
>>>

>>>Q What are the worst parts of the job?
>>>
>>>A Badly equipped walkers really annoy me. They can be out here in full
>>>winter conditions, wearing trainers and jeans. They expect to follow a
>>>path to the top. Most know they are completely out of their depth and
>>>welcome help. I see myself as their friend on the hill. Only a few
>>>resent my intervention.
>>>

>>>Cheeky basta*d!

>>So you don't think that someone poorly prepared is a potential
>>problem?

>To a weather recorder? Possibly. They may be about to break his nose
>for being an arrogant tw*t.

-------------
from site (I'm sure you have been there to read the whole thing)
Between December and Easter, the National Park Authority's fell top
assessors undertake daily treks up Helvellyn to record snow, ice and
wind conditions above 3,000 feet.
----------

So he's fully kited out goes up Helvellyn in winter, knows the route
dangers areas etc, meets a tw*t in jeans and trainers. Maybe if he
just adjusted his gloves and walked past...

Who would be the t*at?

--
Dewi,

(remove spin for email)

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 17:01:07 +0000, Dominic Sexton wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Rooney
> <[email protected]> writes
>
>> From
>> http://www.lake-
>> district.gov.uk/weatherline/a_day_in_the_life/index.php
>>

>> Q What are the worst parts of the job?
>>
>> A Badly equipped walkers really annoy me. They can be out here in
>> full winter conditions, wearing trainers and jeans. They expect
>> to follow a path to the top. Most know they are completely out of
>> their depth and welcome help. I see myself as their friend on the
>> hill. Only a few resent my intervention.
>>

>> Cheeky basta*d!
>>

> Mr arrogant also thinks a Brocken Spectre is his "reflection" on a
> cloud...

What is it then, if it is not a reflection?

Regards Jeff.

www.astrecks.co.uk

If it works..............DON'T fix it
No Virus Checker? try this free one from AVG it is very good:-
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php
For a new experience in e-mail clients try:- http://www.pocomail.com/
Kill SPAM forever! Protect your family with Spamjab from:-
http://www.spamjab.com/

"Jeff C" <[email protected]> wrote in message

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 17:01:07 +0000, Dominic Sexton wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Rooney
> <[email protected]> writes
>
>> From
>> http://www.lake-
>> district.gov.uk/weatherline/a_day_in_the_life/index.php
>>

>> Q What are the worst parts of the job?
>>
>> A Badly equipped walkers really annoy me. They can be out here in
>> full winter conditions, wearing trainers and jeans. They expect
>> to follow a path to the top. Most know they are completely out of
>> their depth and welcome help. I see myself as their friend on the
>> hill. Only a few resent my intervention.
>>

>> Cheeky basta*d!
>>

> Mr arrogant also thinks a Brocken Spectre is his "reflection" on a
> cloud...

What is it then, if it is not a reflection?

its a shadow isnt it ??

> So he's fully kited out goes up Helvellyn in winter, knows the route
> dangers areas etc, meets a tw*t in jeans and trainers. Maybe if he
> just adjusted his gloves and walked past...
>
> Who would be the t*at?

I'm puzzled as to what he does to help. Just point downhill and say the
car park is that-a-way?

Dominic Sexton <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

>>A Badly equipped walkers really annoy me. They can be out here in full
>>winter conditions, wearing trainers and jeans. They expect to follow a
>>path to the top. Most know they are completely out of their depth and
>>welcome help. I see myself as their friend on the hill. Only a few
>>resent my intervention.
>>

>>Cheeky basta*d!
>>

> Mr arrogant also thinks a Brocken Spectre is his "reflection" on a
> cloud...

C'mon chaps - give him a break. I don't read it that way at all.
For a start this article is only what he is reported to have said. The
Brocken Spectre explanation may have been added (or changed) by the author
of the article.

Anyway - I've seen unprepared people on the eastern approaches to Helvellyn
respond very gratefully to some advice given in a friendly spirit (not by
me, I hasten to add) about snow/ice conditions, advisability of turning back
etc. It's a classic place for coming across such people.

Not jealous over his job by any chance? ;-)

Stuart

On 10 Feb 2005 19:42:39 GMT, Mark Thompson
<[email protected]> uttered:

>> So he's fully kited out goes up Helvellyn in winter, knows the route
>> dangers areas etc, meets a tw*t in jeans and trainers. Maybe if he
>> just adjusted his gloves and walked past...
>>
>> Who would be the t*at?

>I'm puzzled as to what he does to help. Just point downhill and say the
>car park is that-a-way?

Brilliant

That could be the answerphone reply for any mountain rescue call.

I think you should receive some award from the public purse, just
think how much your going to save the country, brilliant...

--
Dewi,

(remove spin for email)

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 19:36:00 +0000, Chris 159 wrote:

> "Jeff C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>

> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 17:01:07 +0000, Dominic Sexton wrote:
>
>> In article <[email protected]>, Rooney
>> <[email protected]> writes
>>
>>> From
>>> http://www.lake-
>>> district.gov.uk/weatherline/a_day_in_the_life/index.php
>>>

>>> Q What are the worst parts of the job?
>>>
>>> A Badly equipped walkers really annoy me. They can be out here
>>> in full winter conditions, wearing trainers and jeans. They
>>> expect to follow a path to the top. Most know they are
>>> completely out of their depth and welcome help. I see myself as
>>> their friend on the hill. Only a few resent my intervention.
>>>

>>> Cheeky basta*d!
>>>

>> Mr arrogant also thinks a Brocken Spectre is his "reflection" on
>> a cloud...
>>

> What is it then, if it is not a reflection?
>
> its a shadow isnt it ??

Phew! Shadow, reflection that's what I thought, I'm glad, for a
minute I thought it was being suggested it was a real spectre of the
Brocken type.

"Mark Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote

> > So he's fully kited out goes up Helvellyn in winter, knows the route
> > dangers areas etc, meets a tw*t in jeans and trainers. Maybe if he
> > just adjusted his gloves and walked past...
> >
> > Who would be the t*at?

> I'm puzzled as to what he does to help. Just point downhill and say the
> car park is that-a-way?

He could offer to swap clothes and footwear.

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:15:30 -0000, "AndyP"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Mark Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> > So he's fully kited out goes up Helvellyn in winter, knows the route
>> > dangers areas etc, meets a tw*t in jeans and trainers. Maybe if he
>> > just adjusted his gloves and walked past...
>> >
>> > Who would be the t*at?

>> I'm puzzled as to what he does to help. Just point downhill and say the
>> car park is that-a-way?

>He could offer to swap clothes and footwear.

Weather man: My job is to record the weather. I don't approve of your
jeans. Swap them with my skin-tight pants.

Birgit (for it is she): Dirty English sexist pig!

The message <2005210205239.257523@jeff>
from Jeff C <[email protected]> contains these words:

> > What is it then, if it is not a reflection?
> >
> > its a shadow isnt it ??

> Phew! Shadow, reflection that's what I thought, I'm glad, for a
> minute I thought it was being suggested it was a real spectre of the
> Brocken type.

Shadow and reflection are in a way opposites. The first is caused by a
obscuring direct light, the second by the return of an image.

--
Roger Chapman so far this year 17 summits
New - 11 (Marilyns 0, Sweats 1, Outlying Fells 10)

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:26:54 +0000, Rooney <[email protected]> wrote:

>Weather man: My job is to record the weather. I don't approve of your
>jeans. Swap them with my skin-tight pants.
>
>Birgit (for it is she): Dirty English sexist pig!

ROTFLMAO :)

--
Stop ID cards and the Database State
http://www.no2id.net/

In article <[email protected]>, Stuart
Mann <[email protected]> writes
>Dominic Sexton <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote in
>news:[email protected]:
>
>>>A Badly equipped walkers really annoy me. They can be out here in full
>>>winter conditions, wearing trainers and jeans. They expect to follow a
>>>path to the top. Most know they are completely out of their depth and
>>>welcome help. I see myself as their friend on the hill. Only a few
>>>resent my intervention.
>>>

>>>Cheeky basta*d!
>>>

>> Mr arrogant also thinks a Brocken Spectre is his "reflection" on a
>> cloud...
>>

>C'mon chaps - give him a break. I don't read it that way at all.
>For a start this article is only what he is reported to have said. The
>Brocken Spectre explanation may have been added (or changed) by the author
>of the article.
>
>Anyway - I've seen unprepared people on the eastern approaches to Helvellyn
>respond very gratefully to some advice given in a friendly spirit (not by
>me, I hasten to add) about snow/ice conditions, advisability of turning back
>etc. It's a classic place for coming across such people.

Yes but what I took issue with is the tone of that part of the piece
"poorly equipped walkers" are the "worst part of the job" and "really
annoy" him. Those come across as rather arrogant or extremely highly
strung or perhaps he just couldn't think of a worst part of the job.

>Not jealous over his job by any chance? ;-)

No, it would be a chore - especially with all those ill prepared walkers
out there ;-)

--

Dominic Sexton

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 00:35:47 +0000, Dominic Sexton
<{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Yes but what I took issue with is the tone of that part of the piece
>"poorly equipped walkers" are the "worst part of the job" and "really
>annoy" him. Those come across as rather arrogant or extremely highly
>strung or perhaps he just couldn't think of a worst part of the job.

What's more, they have nothing at all to do with his job. None of his
business whatsoever. The guy seems to think he's there to supervise
people - he isn't: he's there to record some weather data.

Rooney wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 00:35:47 +0000, Dominic Sexton
> <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> Yes but what I took issue with is the tone of that part of the piece
>> "poorly equipped walkers" are the "worst part of the job" and "really
>> annoy" him. Those come across as rather arrogant or extremely highly
>> strung or perhaps he just couldn't think of a worst part of the job.

> What's more, they have nothing at all to do with his job. None of his
> business whatsoever. The guy seems to think he's there to supervise
> people - he isn't: he's there to record some weather data.

Funny I can't see how you come to that conclusion, but as someone else has
said, he's well prepared, there's a minority that arent. He understand the
weather conditions, that minority doesn't understand how conditions change
from sea level to 3,000 ft. Its the fact that these people are gambling on
the weather staying resonable that gets up his nose...

--
Rob Overfield

"Seasons don't fear the reaper, Nor do the wind, the sun or the rain.."

Rooney <[email protected]> writes
>On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 00:35:47 +0000, Dominic Sexton
><{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Yes but what I took issue with is the tone of that part of the piece
>>"poorly equipped walkers" are the "worst part of the job" and "really
>>annoy" him. Those come across as rather arrogant or extremely highly
>>strung or perhaps he just couldn't think of a worst part of the job.

>What's more, they have nothing at all to do with his job. None of his
>business whatsoever. The guy seems to think he's there to supervise
>people - he isn't: he's there to record some weather data.

Quite. I'd give him a good kicking next time I'm on Helvellyn, but
in my house slippers it wouldn't be much use....
--
Gordon Harris

Rooney <[email protected]> wrote in news:q5to0199r4mn7br4cp4ar4r28i4ih8obg4
@4ax.com:

>>Yes but what I took issue with is the tone of that part of the piece
>>"poorly equipped walkers" are the "worst part of the job" and "really
>>annoy" him. Those come across as rather arrogant or extremely highly
>>strung or perhaps he just couldn't think of a worst part of the job.

Fair enough - the written piece may come over that way but if we met the
bloke in a pub we may find he comes over very differently. Smiley noted.

> What's more, they have nothing at all to do with his job. None of his
> business whatsoever. The guy seems to think he's there to supervise
> people - he isn't: he's there to record some weather data.

We don't know that he thinks that - or how he talks to people. He may simply
mean that because of his job he is more frequently in a position where he
has to make the same judgement any of us might face about whether to pass on
a helpful warning or not. Ice on Striding Edge is a serious matter. It would
be a sad day that we stopped sharing information with each other on the
fells.

I repeat my plea to lighten up on him - his job puts him at some risk in
order to provide other walkers with a very useful service which,
notwithstanding reservations some have expressed, is a significant
contribution to safety in the fells. How many of us can say something
similar about our jobs.