The weight loss challenge

Sillyoldtwit

Jan 13, 2006
I know there are many out there trying to lose weight before the next racing season, especially in the northern hemisphere. So let's post our weight reduction progress (or increase :D), and let's see if if we can help each other.
By posting here for all to see, you can't lose face by not losing weight.

Yesterday morning I weighed in at 74.3kg. My new target is 69kg by next March. Tyson

Count me in. Need to focus on me more and get down from 90kg to a good racing weight of 70kg. Baby steps though. Will try for 85kg by Christmas and 80kg by NZ Track Nationals in March.

OK I'm joining in too. My goal is 79 kg morning weight. Right now I'm about 83.

I'll give this a go :eek:

Height: 185cm
Weight: ~116KG
Goal Weight: 75KG

How long should it take to loose this much lard safely?

Well, you're trying to lose 35 kg, and I think the standard advice is that you should make a goal to lose roughly half a kilogram per week. By that standard, you're looking at about a year and four months?

I concur. Any faster and you start cutting corners and don't make the appropriate lifestyle changes that sustain a goal weight.

fergie said:
I concur. Any faster and you start cutting corners and don't make the appropriate lifestyle changes that sustain a goal weight.

Good point ;) I guess it took a lot longer than that to put on!

That's a good way to think about it! You've probably spent more than two decades getting to the weight you're at now. Spending a year to get down to a weight you'll be happier with is practically nothing in comparison :)

The only other piece of advice that I have, is that you focus primarily on eating high quality foods. Now, I have no idea what your diet might be like, but a lot of people who should lose weight eat a lot of over processed ****. Reemphasizing whole grain foods, fresh fruits and vegetables, and eating products with less saturated fat is a great place to start. Not only are these foods better for you than the processed **** most Americans eat, but it's harder to eat as much of it, since it's not as calorie dense.
Try to get an idea of what your maintenance caloric consumption might be. There are calculators for this on the internet, and they're a good first reference. Once you have that goal, stick to a diet where you eat 500 Calories below maintenance. This is how you'll lose your half kilo of weight per week, since 3500 Calories translates to about half a kilogram.
After you've started your diet, monitor your weight on a bathroom scale and make sure you're actually losing the weight as planned. You never know when the internet calculator is going to be a bit off, and you might see slower or faster loss than you expected.

I'll give this a go.

Currently :
height 6'2" (metric = 1 metre 78 centimetres)
weight 205lbs (14stone 7lbs) (metric = 93kilos).

target ;
height 6'2" (metric = 1 metre 78 centimetres):D
weight 190lbs (13 stones 6lbs) (metric = 86 kilos).

As of this morning I am at 71.4 kgs. My wife says I am skinny enough.I just need to maintain at this point which is much harder going into the winter..

steve said:
Good point ;) I guess it took a lot longer than that to put on!

I dunno. I popped 10Kg back on since mid June. 22lbs in less than 22 weeks - not good.

Lifestyle changes... More sleep, less beer. Everything else is all good... LOL

With the restriction in daylight hours here in the northern hemisphere (sunrise 7.00hrs, sunset 17.20hrs) and having to fit in work etc, cycling time on the road is limited at this time of year.

To supplement the deficit in road cycling, I try to get a 40min run most days, schedule permitting.
I find running a good method of losing/maintaining bodyweight.

I alternate running with my cycling (indoor rollers) during weeks days and try to watch what I eat more carefully at this time of year.
At weekends, I simply have to get out on the road, hail/rain/snow.

By exercising every day – instead of trying to cram a lot of training into fewer days – helps.

limerickman said:
With the restriction in daylight hours here in the northern hemisphere (sunrise 7.00hrs, sunset 17.20hrs) and having to fit in work etc, cycling time on the road is limited at this time of year.

To supplement the deficit in road cycling, I try to get a 40min run most days, schedule permitting.
I find running a good method of losing/maintaining bodyweight.

I alternate running with my cycling (indoor rollers) during weeks days and try to watch what I eat more carefully at this time of year.
At weekends, I simply have to get out on the road, hail/rain/snow.

By exercising every day – instead of trying to cram a lot of training into fewer days – helps.

With th end of daylight saving time this past weekend it will get increasing hard to get in an evening ride and the roads here are way too dangerous to ride at night.
Nothing new I have adjusted to using the trainer for years.

jhuskey said:
With th end of daylight saving time this past weekend it will get increasing hard to get in an evening ride and the roads here are way too dangerous to ride at night.
Nothing new I have adjusted to using the trainer for years.

Agreed : in the old days traffic volumes were a lot less, and you could chance going for an evening spin even during winter.
I would not risk doing it now given the traffic volumes we have today.

A little late or the more I think about it, since many of you are only now starting on this goal - thenI am early on this one :)

My weight loss challenge is in the advanced stages: 15 kg's lost over the last 4-5 months & down to about 17% bf.

DancenMacabre said:
A little late or the more I think about it, since many of you are only now starting on this goal - thenI am early on this one :)

My weight loss challenge is in the advanced stages: 15 kg's lost over the last 4-5 months & down to about 17% bf.

That's good going : to be able to lose 2st 4lbs in 4-5 months.

And then there's my quandary. I am consistently between 5-10 pounds over what I think would be my ideal racing weight (150 or slightly less). In other words, right at the point at which I can ignore the whole issue and put it off until a later date (closer to race season). Well enough of that. I'm in for the challenge.

Here in Canada, we have Tim Horton's, not Mr. Donuts. If I can skip the sour-glazed timbits when I get my coffee, and not buy chips when I buy groceries, this should not be a problem.

limerickman said:
That's good going : to be able to lose 2st 4lbs in 4-5 months.

Thanks.

I asked for some ideas here (think the thread was called 'diet help') and got some good suggestions

Started out by tracking kilocalories but then realized this was unnecessary.

In simple form: lots and lots of training + sensible eating choices (cut out the cake, watch the alcohol intake, plenty of fresh food, and no starving oneself) = results.

Seems to work so far.

Alright, I am in:

Current weight 76-77 kg (175cm)

Goals:
70kg by January 31, 2010
67-68 kg by March 31, 2010

Let me join the quest to lose unwanted mass

Currently : 75 kg at 170.2 cm
Goal: 70 kg by May 1st 2010

I was heading in the right direction this summer, but when the cooler weather hit, and my longer weekend ride distances have been reduced in half, its crept to the current state of affairs.

I was using an FitDay.com to help monitor caloric intake last winter. I'll probably start doing that again.