The weight loss challenge

lanierb said:
I'm down about 1.5kgs in 4 weeks or so (currently 81.5kgs or so). It's not much but I'll take it.

That's great Lan, unfortunately I think Mister Donuts is winning the battle here. I need RapDaddyo to inspire me again. He seems to have disappeared again after 1 post the other day.

Damn I'm hooked on Chocofashions. (about 400calories):eek:

Hello Friends.
I am Colemanco and I have access to a gym including treadmills, a track, elliptical, weights, etc. My fitness goals are to strengthen my arms, abs, and legs while maintaining my current weight or reducing it very slightly. Does anyone have a schedule of what I should do each day and which exercise I should do for this?
Give me schedule of this.
Thanks.

colemancol said:
Hello Friends.
I am Colemanco and I have access to a gym including treadmills, a track, elliptical, weights, etc. My fitness goals are to strengthen my arms, abs, and legs while maintaining my current weight or reducing it very slightly. Does anyone have a schedule of what I should do each day and which exercise I should do for this?
Give me schedule of this.
Thanks.

Colemancol, are you in the right forum? This is a cycling forum. :D

Yeah, seriously, just get on your bike and ride.

On a more serious note related to your question, read Starting Strength and follow the program. If you're not willing to gain weight, you should still be eating a lot of calories while doing the program. You won't get as strong as you would by lifting AND eating big, but you'll make SOME progress before you stall.

For a while now I have wanted to post up an blog entry on this subject mainly for people around me that it may impact like some family members who desparately need to start doing something about their body composition. I started 27 years ago in training and nutrition and have applied certain things in my life that have worked and if I can ever get some spare time I will try to write that entry. There will not be anything new or gimmicky. It will just be bulleted items that need to be preached over and over again, but the one that is the most important to me and the one that is number one on my list is Being Prepared.

Each evening I set aside time to prepare my meals for the next day and I package each of them to take with me or to have available. I eat 6 to 8 small meals a day and take a cooler loaded with those meals to work. I no longer measure my food on a scale because after a short period you will get the idead of the portions can guesstimate and be close enough. By eating continuously you are much less prone to cheating or binging and the nutritional benefit is much greater than some dining out choices.

I am amazed at how much people endure in training and then put so little into the nutrition aspect, which to me is one of the major keys to recovery. To me setting aside that time to prepare meals for the next day is the one thing that needs to be a priority in my schedule. Perhaps that is personal opinion or preference, but this is an item you will often see highlighted on other lists and yet so few people take the time to follow.

It takes me about an hour to prepare my meals. Basically all you have to do is cook one larger meal and split it up into different containers.

Today I will have: (each day meals 3, 4 & 5 vary with different but similar selections)

Meal 1: Post workout protein drink / oatmeal
Meal 2: Protein drink / apple
Meal 3: Baked chicken breast / pasta / brocolli
Meal 4: Baked chicken breast / pasta / brocolli
Meal 5: Homemade vegetable soup
Meal 6: yogurt with a small amount of granola mixed in

Supplements to this are EFA's to round out my requirements for my daily macro nutrient count
My days that I have a long bike ride are a bit different because my requirement need and schedule is different.

edit
I did post this in 2008 on my blog just to show I am consistent with what I preach. 2008 Blog Entry

Felt_Rider said:
I am amazed at how much people endure in training and then put so little into the nutrition aspect, which to me is one of the major keys to recovery....

Well said my friend...people do not understand that this is more important than the actual training...I have seen folks including myself now where I can loose weight, look more muscular by doing 1 hour of walking a day and some simple weight training.

It also amazes me that folks are so precise about the watts but never consider the calories or the make up of them. You would think with cycling it should be a breeze to loose weight as you are burning calories quite easy with the amount of training people put in here. Just requires some discipline....

-js

Discipline and consistency, however life tends to be a barrier to consistency at times.

Im in on the weight loss.this am was 181lbs. will be 165lbs by mid March. I am going on a (for me) serious bike trip to the Pyrenees in early June. 500miles and approx 70K feet of climbing in 6 days of riding. I figuire I'll leave the fat at home.

Recently started cycling daily.

On the 16th of December I was 94.9kg on empty stomach.

Today on Christmas day, 25th of December, 93.5kg on not so empty stomach (you know how it gets around this time of the year :p)

So it seems I inadvertently lost a couple kilos without even thinking about it, I just bloody love this cycling melarchy.

Medium term goal is 80kg, hope to get there soon.

Good luck everyone on your own personal weight loss goals!

Hello friend my weight is 75 kg and 200 grams. My new year target for weight loss is 69 kg by January 31st 2010. I think it looks little bit difficult but I am confident I can achieve it.

Sillyoldtwit said:
I know there are many out there trying to lose weight before the next racing season, especially in the northern hemisphere. So let's post our weight reduction progress (or increase :D), and let's see if if we can help each other.
By posting here for all to see, you can't lose face by not losing weight.

Yesterday morning I weighed in at 74.3kg. My new target is 69kg by next March. Tyson

lost 2lbs this week I have a new plan. I used to eat great all day and then nibble after dinner. I Now grab a handful of raw almonds and a big glass of water and go upstairs to read after dinner. So far its working. Also riding on the trainer 60-90 min 4 days per week with Carmichael dvd's and hitting the gym 2x per week.

Currently 6'1" 168lbs. Looking for 155-158 for race season(April)

Interestingly when I finished my "off" season I was 163lbs. After 3 weeks of base training and fairly good nutrition I have PUT ON 5lbs? Last year this didn't happen but my nutrition was WAY worse...? We'll see how this plays out his year I guess.....

I was just about ready to give up trying and then the weight started coming off! Now down to 80 kgs. Not sure how far I will go. 77-78 kgs would be nice. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for that to happen though.

I've managed to lose 4.4 kg since xmas and still keeping it off , short term is 71 kg longer term 67kg so got a while to go

Old n' Lazy;3925445 said:
Currently 6'1" 168lbs. Looking for 155-158 for race season(April)

Interestingly when I finished my "off" season I was 163lbs. After 3 weeks of base training and fairly good nutrition I have PUT ON 5lbs? Last year this didn't happen but my nutrition was WAY worse...? We'll see how this plays out his year I guess.....

Down to 165.5lbs nearing the end of 5 weeks of base. "Rest" week of snowboarding coming up. Hopefully the trend can continue on through!

[lang=pl]Mój wzrost to 163 cm
Teraz niestety ważę 62,5 kg.
Trening - 2x2 godz - spinning
Jakie suplementy stosowac i co robic aby wrócic do wagi 58 - 59 kg ?
Pomocy[/lang]

Thanks to a good ski season, staying on the trainer and watching what I eat I am only up one pound from my starting weight as of this morning.
I can live with that.

This was mainly from doing spin class at the gym 4 - 5 days / week. Took awhile but I have went from 224lbs to around 180lbs.

april 13 2009, 224
june 15, 213
august 17, 203
september 14, 197
october 2, 195
november 2, 193
december 1, 183
january 2 2010, 188
January 21, 180