The weight loss challenge

Right!
Logically completely correct. Opposite of loosing is gaining and lightness is opposite of weight.
Loosing weight is equivalent for gaining lightness.
I've chosen wrong dimension, mixed apples and oranges, including height in my equitation.
But does lightness exist like weight? Where is line between lightness and weight? Is lightness just one aspect of weight?.

No need to get philosophical here. Weight is mass times force. Reduce your mass, and you've reduced your weight. Will you go faster? All else equal, definitely.

Something wrong with your equitation here, Enriss.
Weight is force in fact. Force with which body presses the ground.
Right equitation should be: weight is mass times g. So, if you reduce your mass - you'll reduce the force as well (given that you can't change the "g").

Haha, yeah, sorry, I misspoke there. I meant to say force is mass times acceleration(not necessarily g, but that's an irrelevant digression here).

As fergie always asks though, will it make you go faster? I suppose it will if all else stays equal, but I tend to think that fitness is best gained when you give yourself enough fuel to recover from one workout to the next, and that it's much harder to gain fitness when you're losing weight.

In my opinion no one should torture himself by starving. Just train regularly, rise intensity and kilometers and that should give result. From time to time you can throw out unnecessary sweets and beverages from your every day's diet, but don't starve yourself, it won't do you any good... On, as well as off the bike.

Thanks for the reply. I am currently 175lbs. About 10 more to go before my trip to the Pyreness in June. The weather in the Northeast has been a bit tough with all the snow/ice .I have been hitting the trainer but obviously nothing comes close to training outdoors and climbing those hills. Hopefuly no more snow. Last week I rode for 10.5 hours for 155miles with plenty of hill repeats. As for the bike I am planning on renting an all carbon one with a compact and a 29cassette. Its just easier than bringing mine to France(and cheaper).

Dec 27th 163 lbs
Jan 15th 168 lbs
Jan 27th 165.5lbs
Feb 5th 164 lbs
Feb 10th 161 lbs
Mar 10th 159 lbs

Finally into the 150s. I've been trying to keep it slow, hopefully preserve as much muscle as possible. One more pound and I'm officially in my goal range of 155-158!

Well I guess I'll jump in. I'm very overweight, so please guys, save the jokes.

March 15th, 2010 - 236lbs

I'll update this post weekly.

How many miles a day are recommended to get started?

DaveInPA said:

Just ride man! As many miles as you can while still having fun. Explore new roads, find riding groups, enjoy the thrill of going fast just like you are 5 years old again!

Have fun!

DaveInPA said:

Wait, man!
Maybe you aren't overweight at all. How tall are you?
Pay attention on previous discussion. Consider all aspects of this subject. Height, lightness, gaining vs. loosing. After all, you may consider moving to Samoa. What we call overweight - there is normal. Bloody culture and social desirableness!

Andrija said:
Wait, man!
Maybe you aren't overweight at all. How tall are you?
Pay attention on previous discussion. Consider all aspects of this subject. Height, lightness, gaining vs. loosing. After all, you may consider moving to Samoa. What we call overweight - there is normal. Bloody culture and social desirableness!

I'm 5'10". Trust me, I'm overweight. Nice "beer belly". I carry ALL of my extra weight in my midsection.

DaveInPA said:
I'm 5'10". Trust me, I'm overweight. Nice "beer belly". I carry ALL of my extra weight in my midsection.

Sounds like me 2 months ago :D It'll melt away if you get out on the bike constantly and watch what you eat.

DaveInPA said:
Then, do what steve's suggesting, but keep in mind that you don't feel completely satisfied with yourself mostly because our culture tells you so.

Old n' Lazy;3935410 said:
Just ride man! As many miles as you can while still having fun. Explore new roads, find riding groups, enjoy the thrill of going fast just like you are 5 years old again!

Have fun!

+1 The more you ride the more you'll want to ride.

You might try keeping a log of your rides, that way you'll have record of your improvement.

DaveInPA said:

All the bike can stand.........sorry you said no jokes. Seriously as many as you can do and don't worry about the speed to start with, that will come. Just get in those rolling miles, eat right and get plenty of sleep. Sleep is highly under rated when it comes to weight loss.

Old n' Lazy;3934799 said:
Dec 27th 163 lbs
Jan 15th 168 lbs
Jan 27th 165.5lbs
Feb 5th 164 lbs
Feb 10th 161 lbs
Mar 10th 159 lbs

Finally into the 150s. I've been trying to keep it slow, hopefully preserve as much muscle as possible. One more pound and I'm officially in my goal range of 155-158!

Mar 30th 157lbs! Now it's maintenance! Feels super good to have accomplished this! I've never had to work to get my weight and it was harder than I thought!

Old n' Lazy;3937852 said:
Mar 30th 157lbs! Now it's maintenance! Feels super good to have accomplished this! I've never had to work to get my weight and it was harder than I thought!

Nice work mate, i'm only about half way toward my goal :eek:

After burgeoning out to 77kg by last Sunday, I received some very inspirational news (all to be revealed soon in the 'Killing me' thread). This morning (Tuesday) I was down to 76kg. Nothing can stop me now as I have to get down to 69/70kg by ??????:D

Sillyoldtwit said:
After burgeoning out to 77kg by last Sunday, I received some very inspirational news (all to be revealed soon in the 'Killing me' thread). This morning (Tuesday) I was down to 76kg. Nothing can stop me now as I have to get down to 69/70kg by ??????:D

So we're in for a inspirational killing?

Sweet... Pics!

:D

i was 75 kg 4 months ago , now im 66 kg, 10 miles on bike , breakfast fruits , dinner fruits, and in midle food chicken or fish