The weight loss challenge

I was up to 74kgs at Christmas (that is the heaviest I get – since ’96 when I hit 80kgs!).
Then I was only riding a couple of times a week – since the end of my race season in late October.
I set a goal to get down to 68kgs(I’m 183cm = ‘6 ½” – thin boned) for the start of this season. I’m there now but today I got dropped on a hill by the bunch :eek:(who I stayed with no problemo three weeks ago in a race) so I’m going to revise my goal down to 66kgs.

When I used to race in my early 20s I was the same weight as I am now but I was one of the best hillclimbers in the club – that was over 20 years ago though – I will have lost muscle mass and my heart/lungs won’t be as good and also I lived in a really hilly city so all riding involved bigger hills than now. That had to help right:confused:

I’ve written down everything I eat in a separate diary for the last 4 years or so and occasionally chart my weight over 2/3 weeks when I have a definite goal to work towards.

BBB:)

This morning weighed in at 75.5kg. That's another 1/2 kilo. Next immediate target is under 75kg!
Getting closer to the right weight for the "Big One". ;) Tyson

Maybe I haven't been reading closely enough, but who has 20 kg that they can safely lose?

This morning 74.8 kg- that's the 75 kg barrier broken! Now on to the 74 kg barrier.;)

By the time of the "Big One" I should look like this.:D

bike.jpg

Down to 74.5kg today. Just 1/2 a kg to go to break through the 74 kg barrier.

Checking back through this thread, it seems that only one person has achieved their target weight.

Well done Old n' Lazy. Not so lazy! :D

It appears that, as we all already know perhaps, losing weight is probably the hardest thing to discipline oneself into achieving. After a hard ride you get so hungry; that's the point at which you have to be strong and limit your intake. I'm determined to get down to at least 70kg and nothing barring an accident is going to stop me.;)

Sillyoldtwit said:
This morning 74.8 kg- that's the 75 kg barrier broken! Now on to the 74 kg barrier.;)

By the time of the "Big One" I should look like this.:D

bike.jpg

What's the "Big One?"

Sillyoldtwit said:
Mt. Charleston Hill Climb in September of course!:D

That's what I should look like by then... I'll need to be lighter than that for the Everest Challenge which is on Sept 25th and 26th.

If the Charleston HC event isn't on the 18/19, 25/26 or Oct 2/3 then I might make the road trip down and say hi. Might even bring the bike too...

In keeping with this thread... 21 lbs lost so far this year. 177lbs and shrinking.

I'm jumping on this forum quite late. But here are my stats. 5'8" (173cm). Soccer/skier legs/ass...muscular build but carrying winter weight!!! Most people guess my weight to be about 150-165lbs max. I'm pretty dense for some reason. Old racing weight was about 150lbs (many moons ago).

March 10 - 189lbs (85.9kg) - basically 20lbs (9.1kg) heavier since Dec 1.
March 12...i started my riding season.

today...

April 28 - 175lbs (79.5kg).....wooohooo! 14 lbs lost in about 7 wks.

10lbs to go.

Only exercise i've been doing is cycling. min 6x/wk. Running to start soon.

Goal is to fit in my old jerseys again....PDM, Teka, 7-Eleven, LaVieClaire.....

CdnRider said:
I'm jumping on this forum quite late. But here are my stats. 5'8" (173cm). Soccer/skier legs/ass...muscular build but carrying winter weight!!! Most people guess my weight to be about 150-165lbs max. I'm pretty dense for some reason. Old racing weight was about 150lbs (many moons ago).

March 10 - 189lbs (85.9kg) - basically 20lbs (9.1kg) heavier since Dec 1.
March 12...i started my riding season.

today...

April 28 - 175lbs (79.5kg).....wooohooo! 14 lbs lost in about 7 wks.

10lbs to go.

Only exercise i've been doing is cycling. min 6x/wk. Running to start soon.

Goal is to fit in my old jerseys again....PDM, Teka, 7-Eleven, LaVieClaire.....

Well done CD, however, many on this forum will think that weight reduction is too fast. The rule of thumb when it comes to losing weight is 1lb a week. You have lost 2 lbs a week. If your training is not affected, then maybe it's OK for you, but shouldn't be recommended for everyone.

This morning I weighed 73.9 kgs breaking through the 74kg barrier; so now it's onwards to the 73 kg barrier!;)

I'm shocked as well at the amount of lbs i've dropped in such a short time. I honestly haven't done anything drastic to my diet at all. Just cycling. A lot. At least for me. My cateye says 766kms (479miles) since March 12. I've limited 90% of my rides to less than 35km (22miles). Most often only going out for about 30mins. Just checked my log chart and i've ridden 48 times. Some days 2 rides.

I have a feeling the initial 10lbs was literally superfat of some sort?! therefore easy to drop. I'm thinking The next 5-10 will be much more difficult.

weighed in this morn....after a bowl of cereal...172lbs (78.1kg)

quads, calves, and backside have definitely gotten harder and shaped. still have the midsection to work on.

On a side note. I've rarely been drenched in sweat after any of my rides. Have kept my intensity levels usually at 7 or 8 out of 10. Like i mentioned earlier, this has been my base miles training period. Hard training starts tomorrow with intervals and hill work. I'll break the 800km (500miles)barrier and the end of the base mile training today! suiting up right NOW.....

keep up the traininig guys. stay healthy

I like to teach those I coach to eat real food as their normal diet. Along those lines, I also recommend that they stay a little hungry. Real food + a little hungry = proper weight loss.

Take out there!
Cameron Hoffman
www.winlotoja.com

Sillyoldtwit said:
Well done CD, however, many on this forum will think that weight reduction is too fast. The rule of thumb when it comes to losing weight is 1lb a week. You have lost 2 lbs a week. If your training is not affected, then maybe it's OK for you, but shouldn't be recommended for everyone.

This morning I weighed 73.9 kgs breaking through the 74kg barrier; so now it's onwards to the 73 kg barrier!;)

1lb a week? Says who?

At that rate it would have taken Jan Ullrich 2 years to lose his winter "pork pie" weight... :p

Hi guys, posted on this thread on the 25th of December with a weight of 93.5.

Weight loss has been going well since, cycling a lot and making sure I keep my calories under control using the livestrong myplate thing.

Currently weighing 82.9kg

I'm finding it incredibly easy, cycle because i love it, eat mcdonalds because i love it, still lose weight haha!

Plan to get to 75 kilos and maintain it (lance armstrong's weight, and he is my height :p)

Good luck with your weight loss everyone

davesharp said:
Hi guys, posted on this thread on the 25th of December with a weight of 93.5.

Weight loss has been going well since, cycling a lot and making sure I keep my calories under control using the livestrong myplate thing.

Currently weighing 82.9kg

I'm finding it incredibly easy, cycle because i love it, eat mcdonalds because i love it, still lose weight haha!

Plan to get to 75 kilos and maintain it (lance armstrong's weight, and he is my height :p)

Good luck with your weight loss everyone

That's a pretty impressive weight loss there Dave. I can't equal that. Am now finding it difficult to get below 73kg.:(

There are calculators for this on the internet, and they're a good first reference. Once you have that goal, stick to a diet where you eat 500 Calories below maintenance.

Looks like this thread is in its results phase now, but since I just stumbled on it, and my current focus is weight loss, I'll post my goal anyway if nobody minds too much.

Current: 174 lbs (78.9 kg)
Goal: 155 lbs (68 kg)

height 5'11" (1.80 m)

Workouts are 4-5 running sessions and 5-6 biking sessions per week. (It's not as intense as it sounds: I have no runs longer than 3 miles for fear of offending my knees, and long ride is currently only 2 hours, plus recovery sessions are counted in those numbers.)

So I'm now 175lbs (79.5kg). 189lbs (85.9kg) 8 weeks ago. Had a couple days where i was a few lbs lighter. But generally 175 all week. Just as i suspected, The next 5-10lbs i'm hoping to lose is going to be harder than the first 14.

I wonder if a lot of this is due to the strengthening of my legs and glutes? They've definitely seen an increase in size, definition and hardness. Bound to happen to anyone cycling a lot I think??

Still eating the same. I'm not on any form of diet whatsoever, but i do generally eat fairly well. Although, I did sample a Jr. Whopper today.!!! Hey, it was SUNDAY!

Anyone else think they've plateau'd a little?

Great going guys, you put me to shame. I am on a bit of a plateau at the moment - just can't get under 73kg. However, as usually happens, the drop comes suddenly, then you are after your next target and so on. Tyson ;)