the weighting game

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by gravelmuncher, Mar 8, 2004.

  1. gravelmuncher

    gravelmuncher New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2003
    Due to the distinct lack of hills around here, one has developed the need for a little strength training. Does anybody know of any links to weight programs suitable for the road cyclist? I crossed the Blue Mountains on Sunday - Glenbrook to Lithgow - 80km @ 3.05:00, 26 Av - single most painful thing i've ever done. Although the 81 km/h down Mt Victoria Pass was awesome!

    ~j~

    Tags:

  2. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    put weights on your bike!

    did this to my father-inlaw in the Adelaide hills a few years back by putting an iron bar inside his seat tube
    still made catching the little bugger hard tho...

  3. Hitchy

    Hitchy New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2004
    Messages:
    1,876
    G'day,

    Ric Stern will argue until he is blue in the face, that a weight training program for 'trained' cyclists will provide absolutely no benefit whatsoever. In fact, (his argument goes), it is likely to be detrimental!. You there Ric...????,. Anyway, on bike strength training is probably the 'go'. Try pushing 'big' gears (whilst seated) up whatever hills there are. Also plenty of 'interval' in big gears,

    cheers,

    Hitchy

    cheers,

    Hitchy

  4. Euan B Uk

    Euan B Uk Guest

    DRS> Try http://www.velopress.com/weigtrainfor.html.

    Excellent, thank you DRS.

    Would this routine be suitable for a daily commuter, say on
    a Saturday?

    My thinking is that more than once a week would be required
    to see any gains but that would mean working out on a
    cycling day and recovering on a cycling day.

    Your thoughts?

    --
    Cheers, Euan

  5. Drs

    Drs Guest

    [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote in
    message [email protected]

    >> Try http://www.velopress.com/weigtrainfor.html.
    >
    > Excellent, thank you DRS.
    >
    > Would this routine be suitable for a daily commuter, say
    > on a Saturday?
    >
    > My thinking is that more than once a week would be
    > required to see any gains but that would mean working out
    > on a cycling day and recovering on a cycling day.
    >
    > Your thoughts?

    Once per week is better than nothing but your muscles will
    start to detrain over 7 days. A full body routine should be
    done at least twice per week and preferably thrice. I do a
    split routine M-W-F. I train more for hypertrophy than
    strength, although obviously you can't lift stupid amounts
    of iron for any length of time without getting somewhat
    stronger, and I use the extended sets of 15 when I'm in a
    cutting phase. Obviously you can't lift stupid amounts of
    iron for any length of time without getting a bit stronger.
    I try to avoid heavy cardio (30 minutes and over) on my
    anaerobic days because it's known to interfere with
    recovery. Ideally you do anaerobic and aerobic training on
    alternate days. If you need to do heavy cardio then do it
    after the weights session, if for no other reason than it
    will use the energy (muscle glycogen) you need for lifting.

    One of the benefits of weights training is that by promoting
    at least some muscle growth it helps you change your body
    composition. I've just pretty much finished a
    bulking/cutting cycle and whilst my body weight is roughly
    what it was when I started my body fat percentage has
    dropped significantly, which means the difference must be
    made up by new muscle. I like my bike but I didn't get that
    new muscle from cycling. :)

    --

    "I'm proud that I live in a country where witnessing two
    hours of bloody, barbarous torture in gloating detail is