The White Jersey

patch70

Jun 19, 2003
Okay - maybe not quite as exciting as the battle for yellow. But - We now have Karpets leading Popovych by 1 second (as of end stage 9). Valverde thrid, Contador 4th and someone for the future, Luis Leon Sanchez in 13th. Gilbert 10th.

Is Karpets going to do it again? Can Popo beat him? Is Valverde going for a stage or for a good overall time?

Popo definetly not, because he must help Lance. I think Valverde and Karpets are the biggest contenders.

Unfortunately their both on the same team......... and I think Karpets is the team captain isn't he? That makes me think he will win.

I don`t know their tactics, but there are 3 GC riders: Mancebo, Valverde and Karpets. Mancebo is the leader, but..:)

Virenque said:
Popo definetly not, because he must help Lance. I think Valverde and Karpets are the biggest contenders.
Agree about Popo. Am very interested to see how Valverde approaches the tour. Am guessing he'll try for a stage win rather than overall.

patch70 said:
Agree about Popo. Am very interested to see how Valverde approaches the tour. Am guessing he'll try for a stage win rather than overall.

After the last stage, it's pretty clear Riis and Bruyneel are waging a war of attrition, trying to put the greatest hurt on each other's teams. They each need every guy. CSC already lost Zabriskie. While he wasn't a GC contender, he would certainly have helped along the way.

I'm agreeing with you. This Tour is turning into a particularly bitter battle for the one wearing the yellow jersey. The attacks are relentless, and each team member is required for GC contenders. It appears Karpets has the best chance of getting the white jersey this year because he's the only prominent young rider who is also team leader. Popo's final gc standing will fall short of his efforts, much of which will be spent helping to get Lance into Paris in yellow.

spockroyaltea said:
after today's stage, it looks like Valverde has more than enough in him to grab the white.
Absolutely. What a ride from a young guy.

spockroyaltea said:
after today's stage, it looks like Valverde has more than enough in him to grab the white.

Yeah, I'd agree Valverde has the juice to make it into the white on GC. The problem is that he has to provide support to the team leader, Mancebo. Whether they'll let him go for it is an open question. I don't know if they want him to spend his reserves on the white jersey if it might weaken Mancebo's chances.

patch70 said:
Hmm, looks like he may just struggle now. Great rider though!

haha, i am a big fan of him, so i'll always use the opportunity to mention his name whenever I can! :cool:

Unless Valvererde has a bad day he will have the white Jersey in Paris. Next year it will be yellow he wears perhaps.

With Valverde possibly leaving the Tour due to knee injury, and Karpets losing an additional 38 minutes on stage 11, who will be in the White Jersey in Paris continues to be a shifting unknown.

Does anyone know why Karpets lost so much time? Did he crack? Was he in a crash?

Too bad for Valverde and his knee. At least he may be back next year. Hopefully, his knee will heal pretty soon.

Popovych is back in white now. With Karpets so far out of the picture, I wouldn't be surprised to see Popo in Paris in white.