General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

The white spots on fingernail

Started by IanW · · Last activity · 5 posts · 1,597 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
24 March 2006
Last activity
25 March 2006
Original author
IanW
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,597
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've got white spots on most of my fingernails and thought that was supposed
    to be a zinc issue, however despite supplementing 25mg of zinc a day they
    don't seem to be going.. is there anything else that can cause them?

  2. A question and a comment:

    Question - How long have you been taking the zinc? The white spots you
    already have won't go away. That's the way they grew. The white spots
    have to grow out and be clipped off.

    Comment - are you taking a chelated zinc supplement? When taking
    mineral supplements, you'll get the most benefit from minerals that
    have been chelated to an organic compound. Our bodies are simply not
    designed to process isolated minerals. Sure you'll get *some* benefit
    from a pure zinc supplement, but not as much as a chelated supplement.

    Max.

  3. I agree with Max on all points. Definitely avoid the cheap oxide and sulfate
    formulations. However some chelated complexes of zinc (and other minerals)
    are better absorbed than others. Here's a rundown of all the commonly
    formulated chelate groups: citrate, gluconate, EDTA, picolinate, sebacate,
    ascorbate, aspartate, methionate, and glycinate. The last 3 (amino acids)
    are the most bioavailable.

    Also, whereas a cheap zinc supplement is best taken between meals, a premium
    (amino acid chelated) one is probably best taken with meals.

    Are you on a severely calorie restricted diet? Those dieters are usually
    the ones that don't get enough dietary zinc.

    If you can tolerate some more carbs, then quinoa (available in health food
    stores) is supposedly one of the richest sources of plant based zinc.
    However, I don't know how biovailable its zinc is. Being a whole "grain" it
    may contain lot of phytic acid or phytate; either of which may inhibit zinc
    absorption. Nutritional yeast, mustard, turkey, and crab are other naturally
    rich sources of zinc.

    The following info is from a controversial source (I'm not saying the info
    is true or false. Just putting it out there.)
    http://www.acu-cell.com/znk.html
    "Zinc Synergists : Magnesium, chromium, cobalt, Vitamin B2, Vit E
    Zinc Antagonists / Inhibitors : Iron, calcium, phosphorus, selenium, sodium,
    nickel, tin, copper, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin C, niacin, niacinamide,
    folic acid, choline, lecithin, alcohol
    Zinc Sources : Oysters, soybeans, wheat germ, seeds, nuts, lamb, beef,
    chicken, eggs, herring, milk, yeast"

    A primer on zinc nutrition. Be sure to read the section 'Factors Related to
    Zinc Deficiency'
    http://www.healthy.net/scr/Article.asp?Id=2071

    Copper-zinc balance. The ratio of copper to zinc is clinically more
    important than the concentration of either of these trace metals.
    http://www.drkaslow.com/html/zinc-copper_imbalances.html

    Additional info
    http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/nmdrugprofiles/nutsupdrugs/zin_0281.shtml
    http://www.diet-and-health.net/Nutrients/Zinc.html
    http://www.northmemorial.com/healthencyclopedia/content/1958.asp

  4. Quoted message said:

    Here's a rundown of all the commonly
    formulated chelate groups: citrate, gluconate, EDTA, picolinate, sebacate,
    ascorbate, aspartate, methionate, and glycinate. The last 3 (amino acids)
    are the most bioavailable.

    Wow, I had no idea there were that many common chelate groups. I
    suppose I *have* heard of all of them at one time or another, I've just
    never seen them all listed together like that.

    Thanks for the info, Knack.

    Max.

  5. "Knack" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I agree with Max on all points. Definitely avoid the cheap oxide and
    sulfate formulations. However some chelated complexes of zinc (and other
    minerals) are better absorbed than others. Here's a rundown of all the
    commonly formulated chelate groups: citrate, gluconate, EDTA, picolinate,
    sebacate, ascorbate, aspartate, methionate, and glycinate. The last 3
    (amino acids) are the most bioavailable.

    Also, whereas a cheap zinc supplement is best taken between meals, a
    premium (amino acid chelated) one is probably best taken with meals.

    Are you on a severely calorie restricted diet? Those dieters are usually
    the ones that don't get enough dietary zinc.

    No. I eat a fairly healthy diet too - mostly organic food including salads,
    soups, fresh meat & fish (twice a week - salmon or king prawns anyway),
    fruit & veg.. not much processed stuff.. and chicken, lamb are the main
    meats I eat.. plus I eat tofu twice a week too, and they are all on that
    acucell list below. However, I have CFS so that might screw up absorption,
    and a pretty stressy person in general.

    Quoted message said:

    If you can tolerate some more carbs, then quinoa (available in health food
    stores) is supposedly one of the richest sources of plant based zinc.
    However, I don't know how biovailable its zinc is. Being a whole "grain"
    it may contain lot of phytic acid or phytate; either of which may inhibit
    zinc absorption. Nutritional yeast, mustard, turkey, and crab are other
    naturally rich sources of zinc.

    The following info is from a controversial source (I'm not saying the info
    is true or false. Just putting it out there.)
    http://www.acu-cell.com/znk.html
    "Zinc Synergists : Magnesium, chromium, cobalt, Vitamin B2, Vit E
    Zinc Antagonists / Inhibitors : Iron, calcium, phosphorus, selenium,
    sodium, nickel, tin, copper, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin C, niacin,
    niacinamide, folic acid, choline, lecithin, alcohol
    Zinc Sources : Oysters, soybeans, wheat germ, seeds, nuts, lamb, beef,
    chicken, eggs, herring, milk, yeast"

    A primer on zinc nutrition. Be sure to read the section 'Factors Related
    to Zinc Deficiency'
    http://www.healthy.net/scr/Article.asp?Id=2071

    That's a really good article (as is that pdrhealth one below) - I didn't
    know zinc had all those uses! The supplement I use is the chelated zinc
    gluconate 25mg, and Max - I've taken it on and off for months but probably
    only an average of 1 tab every 3 days..

    I wonder if I should try upping to 25 mg twice a day, along with a couple of
    mg of copper. I suppose a couple of months of that should see if the white
    spots clear up.

    Thanks for all the info, and to Max aswell 🙂

    Quoted message said:

    Copper-zinc balance. The ratio of copper to zinc is clinically more
    important than the concentration of either of these trace metals.
    http://www.drkaslow.com/html/zinc-copper_imbalances.html

    Additional info
    http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/nmdrugprofiles/nutsupdrugs/zin_0281.shtml
    http://www.diet-and-health.net/Nutrients/Zinc.html
    http://www.northmemorial.com/healthencyclopedia/content/1958.asp

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.