The wisdom of 90% of 20 min MP intervals?

doctorSpoc said:
doh!...no i don't have a 20min to FTP ratio of 1.2... it's ~1.12 ...dyslexia is a dangerous thing... 5min is closer to 1.2... ~1.25
Ahhhh, that makes more sense. I was scratching my head saying dang, his FTP is 83% of his 20 minute MMP, wow that would be a very steep CP curve that far out! You'd need an incredible AWC relative to your CP for that curve, sounds like the makings of a kilo rider :)

-Dave

root said:
Well, makes sense really. L4 effort is time trial effort. I don't know if very many people could do a time trial every day and clock in the same or better time, as on the first day.
I have been doing 2 x 20's about 3 x week with a rest day between for a few weeks (3)now. And then I do a group ride for fun on weekends. My goal is to string about 6 weeks like this as a precursor to a winter plan. I basically try and ride at close to FTP level, and putting aside variables for riding indoors versus the early winter cold, it seems to be close. Basically 20 min intervals in high 250's low 260s versus a one hour solo TT wearing booties, face warmer, with 5 pounds of partially digested turkey in my colon @262. That's a pretty close ratio. The intervals have been climbing up as well, from struggling to keep it at 245 a few weeks ago, to almost 260 now averagingthe two intervals.

I can't say it is a miracle program, but if you look at Tyson's thread and my limited experience, you could follow worse programs to build a winter base.