The Wisdom tooth, she is gone!!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Stan Cox, Feb 14, 2006.

  1. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    Just got back from having my dodgy wisdom tooth removed! Thanks
    Wafflycat for mentioning yours. It helped reduce my terror a little
    bit. Almost completely pain free, just waiting for the anesthetic to
    wear off. Paracetamol on standby. They said dont do anything strenuous
    for a couple of days and then we had to decide whether a 3 hour
    training ride counted! The consensus was that as long as I keep the
    intensity down I should be ok. So back on the bike tomorrow!!

    Stan Cox

    Tags:

  2. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Just got back from having my dodgy wisdom tooth removed! Thanks Wafflycat
    > for mentioning yours. It helped reduce my terror a little bit. Almost
    > completely pain free, just waiting for the anesthetic to wear off.
    > Paracetamol on standby. They said dont do anything strenuous for a couple
    > of days and then we had to decide whether a 3 hour training ride counted!
    > The consensus was that as long as I keep the intensity down I should be
    > ok. So back on the bike tomorrow!!
    >
    > Stan Cox

    Most welcome! Glad to know my fear and then having it seen to properly
    helped.

    Cheers, helen s

  3. Stan Cox wrote:
    > Just got back from having my dodgy wisdom tooth removed!

    Ooh. I had mine done a couple of years ago. Under local anaesthetic! I could
    hear the tooth cracking as they divided* it. I could also see the level of
    exertion on the dentist's face as he struggled. Ugh.

    *broke it in half with a whacking great pair of pliers.

  4. Mark McNeill

    Mark McNeill Guest

    Response to Stan Cox:

    > Just got back from having my dodgy wisdom tooth removed!

    Just think of it as being a few grams lighter. You'll be able to *race*
    up those hills!

    --
    Mark, UK
    "One should as a rule respect public opinion in so far as is necessary

  5. Mark McNeill

    Mark McNeill Guest

    Response to Simon Bennett:

    I'm just glad this thread turned up *after* my visit to the dentist this
    morning: nothing but a polish this time, thobut.

    > I could also see the level of
    > exertion on the dentist's face as he struggled. Ugh.

    If there's any exertion going on I close my eyes and put myself here -

    57.28581110583394 -6.45514624556624

    (or thereabouts)

    - on a nice summer evening.

    I hope nobody else starts doing this as a result of this post - I don't
    want to turn up and find a bunch of other dentists' patients there as
    well...

    --
    Mark, UK
    "I've noticed that the press tends to be quite accurate, except when

  6. John

    John Guest

    "Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Just got back from having my dodgy wisdom tooth removed! Thanks Wafflycat
    > for mentioning yours. It helped reduce my terror a little bit. Almost
    > completely pain free, just waiting for the anesthetic to wear off.
    > Paracetamol on standby. They said dont do anything strenuous for a couple
    > of days and then we had to decide whether a 3 hour training ride counted!
    > The consensus was that as long as I keep the intensity down I should be
    > ok. So back on the bike tomorrow!!

    Why nothing strenouous? Is this because raised blood pressure might cause
    bleeding gums?

  7. John wrote:

    > Why nothing strenouous? Is this because raised blood pressure might
    > cause bleeding gums?

    ISTR that's what they told me when I had mine done. It's also important to
    avoid dislodging the blood clot that forms in the gum.

  8. Bob Downie

    Bob Downie Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Mark McNeill
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Response to Simon Bennett:
    >

    >I'm just glad this thread turned up *after* my visit to the dentist this
    >morning: nothing but a polish this time, thobut.
    >
    >> I could also see the level of
    >> exertion on the dentist's face as he struggled. Ugh.

    >If there's any exertion going on I close my eyes and put myself here -
    >
    >57.28581110583394 -6.45514624556624
    >
    >(or thereabouts)
    >
    >- on a nice summer evening.
    >

    >I hope nobody else starts doing this as a result of this post - I don't
    >want to turn up and find a bunch of other dentists' patients there as
    >well...

    Talisker Bay on Skye. Nice!

    Cheers
    --
    Bob Downie
    Downie GeoScience Ltd.

  9. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    Mark McNeill wrote:
    > Response to Stan Cox:
    >
    >> Just got back from having my dodgy wisdom tooth removed!

    > Just think of it as being a few grams lighter. You'll be able to *race*
    > up those hills!

    Ah bless you. I am now a few grams lighter, now if I can just do
    something about the other 4 kilo I might be able to "race" up some
    hills :) Anaesthetic has now worn off an I am firmly on planet
    paracetomol :)

    Stan Cox
    P.s. weather is gorgeous, I wish I was out on the bike

  10. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    Simon Bennett wrote:
    > John wrote:
    >
    >> Why nothing strenouous? Is this because raised blood pressure might
    >> cause bleeding gums?

    > ISTR that's what they told me when I had mine done. It's also important to
    > avoid dislodging the blood clot that forms in the gum.

    Yup thats it. I think the added pressure from exercise might dislodge it.

    Stan Cox

  11. > Ah bless you. I am now a few grams lighter, now if I can just do
    > something about the other 4 kilo

    No need to diet - you can lose that just by splashing out on a new, shinier
    bike... go on...

  12. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Mark Thompson wrote:
    > > Ah bless you. I am now a few grams lighter, now if I can just do
    > > something about the other 4 kilo

    > No need to diet - you can lose that just by splashing out on a new, shinier
    > bike... go on...

    Hmm.. I'd need one about 10kg under the UCI weight limit then..

    ...d

  13. John

    John Guest

    "Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Simon Bennett wrote:
    >> John wrote:
    >>
    >>> Why nothing strenouous? Is this because raised blood pressure might
    >>> cause bleeding gums?

    >> ISTR that's what they told me when I had mine done. It's also important
    >> avoid dislodging the blood clot that forms in the gum.
    >>

    > Yup thats it. I think the added pressure from exercise might dislodge it.

    Oh well in that case it just means no racing or hills ;o). A 3 hour trundle
    should be fine.

  14. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "John" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Just got back from having my dodgy wisdom tooth removed! Thanks Wafflycat
    >> for mentioning yours. It helped reduce my terror a little bit. Almost
    >> completely pain free, just waiting for the anesthetic to wear off.
    >> Paracetamol on standby. They said dont do anything strenuous for a couple
    >> of days and then we had to decide whether a 3 hour training ride counted!
    >> The consensus was that as long as I keep the intensity down I should be
    >> ok. So back on the bike tomorrow!!
    >>

    > Why nothing strenouous? Is this because raised blood pressure might cause
    > bleeding gums?

    If you've had any sort of anaesthetic in your bloodstream, you can be told
    to avoid strenuous exercise for a couple of days, as well as avoiding
    driving and making any important decisions. Apparently the residual effects
    of the anaesthetic can last for a couple of days and can affect judgement.
    Well, that's what I was told after the nice Mrs McInnes, wonderous dentist
    at the Siskin Centre in Naarch and the nice gas man from the Norfolk &
    Norwich hospital told me when I had intravenous sedation in order to have my
    dental abscess & teethy-pegs seen to back in December. That nice Mrs McInnes
    is the only dentist I had ever come across who has been human and humane
    towards me whislt I've been sat in the torture chair and not some
    bloodthirsty alien graduate of the Dewhurst School of Butchery.

    Cheers, helen s

  15. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    wafflycat wrote:

    > "John" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> Just got back from having my dodgy wisdom tooth removed! Thanks
    >>> Wafflycat for mentioning yours. It helped reduce my terror a little
    >>> bit. Almost completely pain free, just waiting for the anesthetic to
    >>> wear off. Paracetamol on standby. They said dont do anything
    >>> strenuous for a couple of days and then we had to decide whether a 3
    >>> hour training ride counted! The consensus was that as long as I keep
    >>> the intensity down I should be ok. So back on the bike tomorrow!!
    >>>

    >> Why nothing strenouous? Is this because raised blood pressure might
    >> cause bleeding gums?
    >>

    > If you've had any sort of anaesthetic in your bloodstream, you can be
    > told to avoid strenuous exercise for a couple of days, as well as
    > avoiding driving and making any important decisions. Apparently the
    > residual effects of the anaesthetic can last for a couple of days and
    > can affect judgement. Well, that's what I was told after the nice Mrs
    > McInnes, wonderous dentist at the Siskin Centre in Naarch and the nice
    > gas man from the Norfolk & Norwich hospital told me when I had
    > intravenous sedation in order to have my dental abscess & teethy-pegs
    > seen to back in December. That nice Mrs McInnes is the only dentist I
    > had ever come across who has been human and humane towards me whislt
    > I've been sat in the torture chair and not some bloodthirsty alien
    > graduate of the Dewhurst School of Butchery.
    >
    > Cheers, helen s

    I had a good chat with the (very cute) doctor who took mine out. I
    didnt have gas, just the normal injection. She was quite sure I should
    be ok tomorrow. I will do the 7.5 miles to work on the cycle path and
    if I feel at all odd I will get a lift home. Thanks for the warning.

    Stan Cox

  16. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I had a good chat with the (very cute) doctor who took mine out. I didnt
    > have gas, just the normal injection. She was quite sure I should be ok
    > tomorrow. I will do the 7.5 miles to work on the cycle path and if I feel
    > at all odd I will get a lift home. Thanks for the warning.
    >
    > Stan Cox

    One thing to be careful of... the cold wind getting to your mouth. Instant
    agony at site of extraction. Guess how I know! Use of Buff or other similar
    item across mouth whilst cycling is recommended until the site of extraction
    is properly healed.

    Cheers, helen s

  17. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    wafflycat wrote:

    > "Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> I had a good chat with the (very cute) doctor who took mine out. I
    >> didnt have gas, just the normal injection. She was quite sure I should
    >> be ok tomorrow. I will do the 7.5 miles to work on the cycle path and
    >> if I feel at all odd I will get a lift home. Thanks for the warning.
    >>
    >> Stan Cox

    > One thing to be careful of... the cold wind getting to your mouth.
    > Instant agony at site of extraction. Guess how I know! Use of Buff or
    > other similar item across mouth whilst cycling is recommended until the
    > site of extraction is properly healed.
    >
    > Cheers, helen s

    Hadnt even considered that. I will take precautions.

    Stan Cox

  18. Stan Cox wrote:
    > wafflycat wrote:
    >>
    >> "Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> I had a good chat with the (very cute) doctor who took mine out. I
    >>> didnt have gas, just the normal injection. She was quite sure I
    >>> should be ok tomorrow. I will do the 7.5 miles to work on the cycle
    >>> path and if I feel at all odd I will get a lift home. Thanks for
    >>> the warning.
    >>>
    >>> Stan Cox

    >> One thing to be careful of... the cold wind getting to your mouth.
    >> Instant agony at site of extraction. Guess how I know! Use of Buff or
    >> other similar item across mouth whilst cycling is recommended until
    >> the site of extraction is properly healed.
    >>
    >> Cheers, helen s
    >>

    > Hadnt even considered that. I will take precautions.

    Except we're set for a spate of moist, warm southwesterlies for the
    forseeable. At least that was the case last time I looked...

  19. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 12:43:39 GMT, soup <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Have had all four wisdom teeth pulled (BTW "they" push teeth "they"
    > don't pull them) was a LOT of fun some "they" "just" cracked in two,
    > others were cut into four to aid extraction .

    I was 'fortunate' enough that one of my wisdom teeth impacted badly
    enough that the dentist referred me to a consultant that wrote such a
    scary referral that my health insurance (which generally doesn't cover
    dental work) paid out for all mine to come out under general
    anaesthetic in a private hospital. I haven't a clue what they did - I
    was chatting to anaesthetist about my daughter and then woke up with
    what seemed like an entire bath-towel wedged in my mouth.

    Took the next day off work, but that was it.

    Unfortunately, the work to repair the adjacent tooth damaged by the
    wisdom tooth was not covered, and that was rather less entertaining.
    The dentist still sucks her breath in and ummms and ahhhs whenever
    poking around in that vicinity, threatening dire things to come.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  20. Mike K Smith

    Mike K Smith Guest

    Mark McNeill wrote:
    [On dentistry]
    > If there's any exertion going on I close my eyes and put myself here -
    >
    > 57.28581110583394 -6.45514624556624
    >
    > (or thereabouts)
    >
    > - on a nice summer evening.

    For me the Talisker would provide some comfort after the dentistry was
    over and I was back at home feeling sorry for myself.