The worst cycling tips in the world!

Sorry, 2Lap, point taken. I should have said "hugging the curb" is the single worst piece of advice I've ever heard.

Originally posted by 2LAP
This is even worse advice in the UK as you end up either in the middle of the road or riding towards on coming traffic!

Originally posted by less'go
Sorry, 2Lap, point taken. I should have said "hugging the curb" is the single worst piece of advice I've ever heard.
I liked the original advice; bad advice no matter where you lived!!!! :D

Originally posted by drewski
what's wrong with eggs for breakfast?!?

Your body has an order that it prefers for burning various types of fuel. I think it has more to do with how quickly it can break things down than anything else but it's roughly, sugars first, then carbohydrates, proteins and then fat. Carbohydrates are probably the best since they don't cause the insulin spike you can get from sugars and the energy is metered out rather than dumped all at once.

Eggs have a lot of heavy protein, something that most people eat far too much of regardless of the push everyone hears their whole life about making sure to get enough protein. Protein is important for repairing the muscle damage that comes from exercise but the most any human body can utilize is about 10% of total caloric intake. Some people can utilize and therefore need, as little as 2% of their caloric intake in protein. Suffice it to say that if you're getting sufficient calories and have anything close to a balanced diet, insufficient protein isn't a problem.

The problem you'll encounter is that the lumps of protein and fat you have for breakfast will still be sitting in your stomach throughout most of your ride. The body doesn't digest as well under stenuous exercise so give it something easy to digest which can quickly be turned into energy - carbohydrates.

Did I miss anything? (Besides the cholesterol issue.)

Originally posted by Beastt
Your body has an order that it prefers for burning various types of fuel. I think it has more to do with how quickly it can break things down than anything else but it's roughly, sugars first, then carbohydrates, proteins and then fat. Carbohydrates are probably the best since they don't cause the insulin spike you can get from sugars and the energy is metered out rather than dumped all at once.

Eggs have a lot of heavy protein, something that most people eat far too much of regardless of the push everyone hears their whole life about making sure to get enough protein. Protein is important for repairing the muscle damage that comes from exercise but the most any human body can utilize is about 10% of total caloric intake. Some people can utilize and therefore need, as little as 2% of their caloric intake in protein. Suffice it to say that if you're getting sufficient calories and have anything close to a balanced diet, insufficient protein isn't a problem.

The problem you'll encounter is that the lumps of protein and fat you have for breakfast will still be sitting in your stomach throughout most of your ride. The body doesn't digest as well under stenuous exercise so give it something easy to digest which can quickly be turned into energy - carbohydrates.

Did I miss anything? (Besides the cholesterol issue.)

Are we following up on the bad advice thread by running a bad reasoning for good advice thread?

I'm particularly excited about the discovery that there is a difference between sugar and carbohydrate.

I wish I could 'dump energy all at once', I'd be a better sprinter.

Heavy protein? Is that like, the large cans of tuna?

My personal favourite: "roughly, sugars first, then carbohydrates, proteins and then fat"

Less roughly: rates of glycolysis and lipolysis depend on exercise intensity (largely) and nutrition (a little). The human body has no metabolically available protein stores. Or, to put it another way, you are exactly wrong.

Actually, I quite like eggs... :)

Originally posted by Roadie_scum
Are we following up on the bad advice thread by running a bad reasoning for good advice thread?

I'm particularly excited about the discovery that there is a difference between sugar and carbohydrate.

To clear up my inaccuracy, by "sugar" I'm referring to complex (processed) carbohydrates. By "carbohydrates" I was referring to simple carbohydrates, those usually found in more natural, less processed foods. My bad.

I wish I could 'dump energy all at once', I'd be a better sprinter.

Sprints usually come at the end of the stage. If you dump all of your energy at the start of the stage, you won't make it to the end. Perhaps this is why energy gels aren't pure sugar.

Heavy protein? Is that like, the large cans of tuna?

As opposed to foods containing lesser amounts of protein.

My personal favourite: "roughly, sugars first, then carbohydrates, proteins and then fat"

Less roughly: rates of glycolysis and lipolysis depend on exercise intensity (largely) and nutrition (a little). The human body has no metabolically available protein stores. Or, to put it another way, you are exactly wrong.

The body doesn't sit quietly processing sugar from the digestive system before it begins to break down carbohydrates, proteins or fat. Therefore, "roughly".

Protein does not equal energy. It's largely a rebuilding material as opposed to an energy producing one.

Actually, I quite like eggs... :)

Enjoy your eggs.

better tel lmy body protien does not give it energy. I had been scarfing bananna's and lots of fruit for my daily rides. energy gels too. but Iget mroe energy from a couple of scoops of low carb protien powder then anything else.

But not seriously -- bad advice:

1) When riding in a pack, be sure to make quick moves when a gap opens. Other riders will admire your quick reflexes and cycling prowess with your quick jerky movements.

2) In the U.S.: vote Republican -- republicans love cycling and have typically done much to promote it, from local governments all the way to the White House.

3) Motor oil makes a great chain lube.

4) When cornering in a race, be sure to lock up your rear break. You'll might take out your competition. And besides, skid marks are cool.

4a) Do the same when cornering on your MTB, because soil erosion is cool.

5) To maintain control on a technical MTB descent, be sure to lock up your front break.

6) People will think you are cool if ride your MTB on a soaking-wet muddy trail; the mud on your bike will show everyone what a stud you are.

6a) And, people really appreciate rutted-out MTB trails because it makes the ride more challenging.

6b) And, soil erosion is cool.

Originally posted by jmcmillanut
Shouldn't this be on one of the "Atkins" threads?:D

You're absolutely right. My apologies. :)

(See new thread - Energy: Carbohydrates verses Protein)

To clear up my inaccuracy, by "sugar" I'm referring to complex (processed) carbohydrates. By "carbohydrates" I was referring to simple carbohydrates, those usually found in more natural, less processed foods. My bad.

Sugars are simple carbohydrates. Complex carbohydrates occur with more frequency in less processed food. The 'complexity' of a carbohydrate is (loosely) a measure of the number of links in the chain which forms the chemical molecule consisting of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. It is not a measure of the amount of processing.

Sprints usually come at the end of the stage. If you dump all of your energy at the start of the stage, you won't make it to the end. Perhaps this is why energy gels aren't pure sugar.

A lot of energy gels are pure sugar (or very close). The body can use sucrose, glucose, maltose and maltodextrin to efficiently replenish glycogen during sustained exercise. These vary in their levels of complexity. Fructose, galactose and lactose aren't good, but that's another story.

As opposed to foods containing lesser amounts of protein.

So bread is a light protein?

The body doesn't sit quietly processing sugar from the digestive system before it begins to break down carbohydrates, proteins or fat. Therefore, "roughly".

But even roughly, you are incorrect. Fat metabolism and glycogen metabolism occur simultaneously - the respective rates are determined mainly by exercise intensity and hardly at all by time. Your distinction between sugars and carbohydrates is bizzare. Protein is not metabolically available. Oxidation of free amino acids (building clocks of protein is rare) and should be generally avoided by maintaining glycogen stores.

Protein does not equal energy. It's largely a rebuilding material as opposed to an energy producing one.

Amino acids that are not used to maintain existing protein structures may be converted to fat - eg protein=energy.

And before, where you said carbohydrate doesn't cause insulin spikes? I mean seriously...

Enjoy your eggs.

I will!

If you dump all your energy at the start of a stage, you will be a lone breakaway. What this has to do with energy gels, I don't know.

But not seriously -- bad advice:

1) When riding in a pack, be sure to make quick moves when a gap opens. Other riders will admire your quick reflexes and cycling prowess with your quick jerky movements.

2) In the U.S.: vote Republican -- republicans love cycling and have typically done much to promote it, from local governments all the way to the White House.

3) Motor oil makes a great chain lube.

4) When cornering in a race, be sure to lock up your rear break. You'll might take out your competition. And besides, skid marks are cool.

4a) Do the same when cornering on your MTB, because soil erosion is cool.

5) To maintain control on a technical MTB descent, be sure to lock up your front break.

6) People will think you are cool if ride your MTB on a soaking-wet muddy trail; the mud on your bike will show everyone what a stud you are.

6a) And, people really appreciate rutted-out MTB trails because it makes the ride more challenging.

6b) And, soil erosion is cool.
:D I think these set the standard; more of the same bad advice! :D

Oh, and after 6) there's no need to clean your bike!

One guy said to me, its easy to win a bike race... just ride faster than everyone else!!!! Easy to say hard to do!!!

The same guy also said "Lance Armstrong would be a great rider if only...." (I stopped listening at that point)!

The egg, it would seem, is on my face.
None too tasty!

:)

:) Sorry to have a go at you mate! I've learnt heaps off this forum with people having a crack at me, so I hope we all are likeminded and don't mind a bit of lively debate/correction.

Cheers.

Nobody ever gave me this advice, but I see people using it all the time:

"Ride in the opposite direction of traffic. This way you can see what's coming at you."

A sure way to see how you are going to die I think.

Originally posted by taras0000
Nobody ever gave me this advice, but I see people using it all the time:

"Ride in the opposite direction of traffic. This way you can see what's coming at you."

A sure way to see how you are going to die I think.

but they do say that's the way (against traffic) you should jog/run/walk with no sidewalk.

anyone know the logic?
- the biker should be in the roadway, while the person on foot should be on the shoulder?
- accident studies?

Originally posted by drewski
but they do say that's the way (against traffic) you should jog/run/walk with no sidewalk.

anyone know the logic?
- the biker should be in the roadway, while the person on foot should be on the shoulder?
- accident studies?

Logic? You want logic - now were getting off topic here.

Seriously, when walking, jogging, running, limping, etc... you want to be able to watch out for the idiot motorist that thinks they actually get 10 points for nailing a pedestrian (sidewalk or not). Needless to say - you should be as far away from the road as possible on foot - the road if for motorized traffic like bikes and automobiles. This is the first step to lessen the chance of getting hit.

You have a better chance of getting out of the motorists way if you can see them coming at you. Most pedestrian accidents I have heard about are when they are crossing the road or by getting hit from behind when either the car swerves or they step around a puddle. I think I have only heard of one when the person was walking against the flow of traffic. Basically you have a better chance of anticipating any problems & getting out of Dodge when needed (minus the idiots that walk in the middle of the road they don't count, and you only get 5 points for them unless they were really messing with traffic & then you get a bonus of150 points for relieving the traffic problem).

Sounds good, so why does that not apply to bikes? Now we are talking about two items - one going 40 & the other 20. #1 -You have less time to actually get out of the way (approach speed of 60). #2 If & when you do collide you just got a combined impact at 60 MPH with a 2500 lb car. Not cool. #3 Going with the flow of traffic the driver has more time to see you (he is only gaining on you by 20 mph not 60) #4 If you get nailed (so the logic goes) you are actually only getting hit at a speed of 20 mph which will not hurt you as bad (It still hurts and it still isn't cool) #5 It is illegal #6 you look stupid
So that is some of the basic reasons why riding against the flow of traffic is such a bad idea but a good idea for pedestrians.

Cheers

[/B]

This is supposed to be the worst cycling tips so to correct this, vote for the Dems - they only promise whichever group they are talking to the moon, tax you to the moon so you can't even afford a KMart blue light special bike, make a SAPFU (surpases all previous #$%@ ups), go over budget, please no one, blame the Republicans, and tax you some more. Glad I don't ride a Mountain Bike - there would be no riding on federal lands due to their Sierra Club buddies, etc...

Cheers

It is true, on foot, you should walk against hte flow of traffic. This is the way the best hitch-hikers work.

But no joke, SLS has got it right