The worst runner in the world How to improve?

John Picton

Dec 3, 2003
Hi folks,

I believe that I may officially be the worst runner in the world. I can cycle for hours, infact I regularly do metric centuries at moderate intensity. I also cycle to work and back every day.

But . . . I want to run a bit too as a friend of mine does triathlons and wants me to join him. The swimming doesn't bother me that much as I'm OK at that, but running - I just can't do it!

I find that my legs ache quite soon after starting, I get out of breath fairly quickly and find the jolting a little uncomfortable compared to the smoothness of cycling. I get dispirited fairly quickly.

It's still something I would like to even be fairly average at, so does anyone have any tips as to what I can do and how I should start a weekly running programme that will see me improve.

Take it in baby steps. Running relies very little on strength and a lot on respiration, hence the disparity there. I can't run more than about a mile and if I want to get better (which I might) I will run a mile three or four times a week until it gets easy. If you think about it, you do the same thing on a bike, just differently.

ganderctr said:
Take it in baby steps. Running relies very little on strength and a lot on respiration, hence the disparity there. I can't run more than about a mile and if I want to get better (which I might) I will run a mile three or four times a week until it gets easy. If you think about it, you do the same thing on a bike, just differently.

So would you say that my situation is fairly normal? I first thought that perhaps I just wasn't built for running as I'm 6'5" and around 16 stone. When I thought this though I was nearer 19 stone and have lost 3 stone through the cycling. There's plenty of tall guys who are good runners.

John Picton,

Perhaps I can shed some light on the subject. I am a runner and cyclist. I've found that running is something that need not be rushed. It takes time to develop the ability to absorb the impact associated with running. Starting out slowly and building your mileage is key to success when running. Beyond that, running is very enjoyable after one passes through the initial phases of adaption.

To start the adaption, start running 3 times a week and if need be insert walk breaks to break up the distance. Go for around 15 - 20mins with the walk break method (5mins running 1 min walking, if you can, if not do less). Start with tracking time not distance. When one first starts to run the distance covered will be relatively short and insignificant. It is more important to note the time spent running and work at running longer and build toward less walk breaks. Once you hit 30mins continuous running then you can look toward a specific training program such doing a 5km race (a common distance for sprint triathlons)

However, this is just my take on the subject. There may be others who advocate "better" programs.

Maybe post in a running forum??

only joking....:D

I really have nothing constructive to add.

John Picton said:
So would you say that my situation is fairly normal? I first thought that perhaps I just wasn't built for running as I'm 6'5" and around 16 stone. When I thought this though I was nearer 19 stone and have lost 3 stone through the cycling. There's plenty of tall guys who are good runners.

You are not tall you are just too heavy for running. I'm 182-183lbs. I tried running as an off-season activity a year ago and I could not run for more then 20 min without blisters and strong pain in legs. Running requires very subtle increases in weekly and daily volumes. I constantly get pains in different parts of legs after running. I now know and feel every tendon in my legs. A year ago I could not run more than 3 hrs/week. This year I had made a little progress :) once I ran 4.5 hrs/week. Also good stretching is very helpful.

Finally I thread I can add some insight, since I am a college track/cross country runner. However, I dont think you are too heavy to run. The first thing is that you have to be aware of particular differences between the two sports. Every time you run you will feel more exhausted than the same amount of time (or even more time) on the bike. You simply use more energy to run. Running is about finding pace, and learning to relax with that pace with an efficient stride and controlled breathing.

So if I was in your position, I would start with 3 mile runs (3-4 times a week) at whatever pace is necessary to complete the run (not to exhaustion though). Each week I would try to either extend my runs (3-7 miles per week, but be careful), OR increase pace. If you can run 3 miles hard and finish strong, move up to a 4-5 mile run. Another important thing is to alternate hard days with easier days. All of your runs in a week should not be the same distance or the same pace. Mixing it up will help you improve faster and adjust to running. The progression is base on feel, and it is normal to feel sluggish, slow, or tired for the first month or so.

I have found that the only way to "find" an efficient stride is to just go run. Good form is key to good running.

Good luck!

P.S. have good shoes, stretch, and be consistent

dot said:
You are not tall you are just too heavy for running. I'm 182-183lbs. I tried running as an off-season activity a year ago and I could not run for more then 20 min without blisters and strong pain in legs. Running requires very subtle increases in weekly and daily volumes. I constantly get pains in different parts of legs after running. I now know and feel every tendon in my legs. A year ago I could not run more than 3 hrs/week. This year I had made a little progress :) once I ran 4.5 hrs/week. Also good stretching is very helpful.
I had the same issues. Finally got smart and gave it up. I loved running/jogging, but the jarring and pounding my body was taking was just too much.

Doctor Morbius said:
I had the same issues. Finally got smart and gave it up. I loved running/jogging, but the jarring and pounding my body was taking was just too much.

I think this october/november I will try once more and increase my volume up to 5 hrs :)

I just thought I'd add something else to note. Shoes are extremely important when running. The wrong shoes or worn out shoes can dramatically effect the feel of a run. Once my shoes are worn out I almost immediately notice pains and aches that weren't there before. I'd advise getting a proper fit at a running store.

Oh and wieght isn't ussually an issue unless one is overweight. I'm around 6'0 and 175lbs and that has not been an issue.

EvilGoodGuy said:
I just thought I'd add something else to note. Shoes are extremely important when running. The wrong shoes or worn out shoes can dramatically effect the feel of a run. Once my shoes are worn out I almost immediately notice pains and aches that weren't there before. I'd advise getting a proper fit at a running store.

Oh and wieght isn't ussually an issue unless one is overweight. I'm around 6'0 and 175lbs and that has not been an issue.
Agreed. Shoes are "A No. 1" when it comes to running. I'd even go so far as to recommend two pair so that they can be alternated, thus allowing the material in the soles 48 hours to decompress. Of course, if one is running 3 days/week on alternate days this would not be an issue.

I don't know if it was age or weight that finally caused me to throw in the towel on running, but at 34 (nearly 11 years ago) I weighed around 205 lbs and started noticing all sorts of little aches and pains. It wasn't just in the knees, feet or back. It was quite litterally all over. That's when I wussed out. :eek: So far cycling only hurts my hands, rump, neck and to a lesser extent knees.

I was a runner in high school. After my first couple years of college, I did the slacker routine for a while. Combine that with "growing up" I put on a little weight. Up from 165lbs in HS to 205lbs. Ouch. Finally decided I had enough of my beer gut and started running again. Ouch.

It took a while to be able to run 30 minutes without stopping. Took over a year to get to an "accceptable" peformance level. Dropped to 175lbs. With weight training and protein added to my routine, I've gone back up to 200. Albeit a more lean 200. There's no such thing as too heavy. There is such thing as too fat. And the only cure for that..you guessed it... is more running. Have fun!

John Picton said:
Hi folks,

I believe that I may officially be the worst runner in the world. I can cycle for hours, infact I regularly do metric centuries at moderate intensity. I also cycle to work and back every day.

But . . . I want to run a bit too as a friend of mine does triathlons and wants me to join him. The swimming doesn't bother me that much as I'm OK at that, but running - I just can't do it!

I find that my legs ache quite soon after starting, I get out of breath fairly quickly and find the jolting a little uncomfortable compared to the smoothness of cycling. I get dispirited fairly quickly.

It's still something I would like to even be fairly average at, so does anyone have any tips as to what I can do and how I should start a weekly running programme that will see me improve.
have a look at the site below:
http://www.pponline.co.uk/ you'll find a running community and forum there
http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/running.htm but here is the info your probably looking for but try to find farklet training, you'll find that as you progress you'll be able to increase you running distance and reduce your recovery times.

when i first started running i was probably the worst runner in the world and out of breath after 200m or so, I first started running that distance allowing 200m of running and 100m to recover then run the same distance again until i had finished the distance that i had set out which was only 3.5 miles which was a hell of a distance for me.

As the 200m beacame easier i would run further until i got to the point that i was running as long as i could and halfing the time that it had taken to recover until i got to a point where i could just slow down the pace a little to recover which is probably the best method over 26miles :) Good luck.....!

Thanks to all for posting. Am checking out the links now and will "attempt" a run tonight.

I'll post back and let you know how dire I was.

John Picton said:
Thanks to all for posting. Am checking out the links now and will "attempt" a run tonight.

I'll post back and let you know how dire I was.
Don't look at it that way! how bad you are, but try to see it as how much better your getting, i'd say the first a part is most definately psychological, if you set out with the thought of i'm so bad at this and i can't run xmany miles then thats the way it will be. but try to think of how much better your getting how you can run 100metres further how nothing is out of your reach or impossible, i remeber a particular quote by some athlete i don't remember who, but it went along the lines of we are all athletes the only difference between us is some of us train to do so.

the other quote being the human body can do so much, then the heart and soul must take over, and if that ain't refferring to ones psychological preperation, when one has to over come the pain and discomfort of Endurance training when the body says it has had enough but there is something inside that pushes you on 'but its finding him' but when you do its all good and well, when i used to run long distance i used to find that the first 5 minutes where the hardest, but once you have overcome that and reached a steady state you can add 1 or 2 miles onto the distance you are running, bear in mind if you add to many miles onto the distances your gonna suffer from shin splints ... etc

So take your time and enjoy what your doing and remember we can all do this ' and most importantly try to change your footwear at most every 300miles' Speeking from experience since there is nothing worse than compound fractures and torn ligements from ttwisting ankles whiles running in worn footwear, Speaking from experience.

Well, I took a real slow and steady start and went for the "run 3 mins walk 2 mins" approach for 45 minutes.

I suprised myself! My legs did get tired, but my breathing was fine and I could hold conversation easily all the way through. That will be the CV conditioning from all the cycling.

I will swim on Wednesday and then run again on Friday, but still keep up the cycling to work each day.

I am a little cautious at the moment though as I had an achilles tendon injury some months ago that I am keen not to have back, so I'll continue to take it slow with the running.

Thanks for your posts everyone, any more keep them coming in.

John Picton said:
Well, I took a real slow and steady start and went for the "run 3 mins walk 2 mins" approach for 45 minutes.

I suprised myself! My legs did get tired, but my breathing was fine and I could hold conversation easily all the way through. That will be the CV conditioning from all the cycling.

I will swim on Wednesday and then run again on Friday, but still keep up the cycling to work each day.

I am a little cautious at the moment though as I had an achilles tendon injury some months ago that I am keen not to have back, so I'll continue to take it slow with the running.

Thanks for your posts everyone, any more keep them coming in.
WOHW!! tendon injury, i hope you do still continue to strap it up.

John Picton,

Awesome! It's amazing what adding walk breaks can do! I noticed a significant improvement after 6 months of consistent running. It will become second nature and your pace will become noticably faster. I went from a 9:30min/mile comfortable training pace to a 7:30min/mile comfortable training pace. With cosistency and committment running will give plenty of rewards.

I'd also add that hills are a runners best friend. I've never done any formal running related speedwork and I continue to see results in my races from running hills. I incorporate rolling hills instead of hill repeats. Hills build strength and in my opinion mental endurance. Of course hills do add additional stress to joints and ligaments, especially downhill running.

I thought I'd mention one more key aspect related to running. When choosing a particular running route keep in mind the road camber. I've run into a problem with my hips due to this issue. The road camber creates a shorter leg which is forced to absorb more impact while running and effectively becomes the injury prone side. A simple check, is to look at the wear pattern on your shoe if one shoe is consistently wearing out faster than the other the road camber "may" be at fault. The simple solution is to alternate between the left and right side of the road.