The worst thing about grand tours...

Richard Adams

Guest
The worst thing about grand tours is rest days.

I'm going through withdawal! I need my fix!

Dan Connelly - "Looka these here charts on depression and caloric
intake."
Robert Chung - "Yes, but if you reverse the axis and take the third
derivative of the plot curve..."
Steven Bornfeld - "Wowee!"
Benjo Maso - "This reminds me of speed fluxuations in kermesses in the
early 20th century."
Tom Kunich - "Iraq is not a mess, this math is all a product of
Liberal Bias!"
Heather - "I'm going back to sleep, wake me when the war is over."

Richard Adams wrote:

> The worst thing about grand tours is rest days.
>
> I'm going through withdawal! I need my fix!
>
> Dan Connelly - "Looka these here charts on depression and caloric
> intake."
> Robert Chung - "Yes, but if you reverse the axis and take the third
> derivative of the plot curve..."
> Steven Bornfeld - "Wowee!"
> Benjo Maso - "This reminds me of speed fluxuations in kermesses in the
> early 20th century."
> Tom Kunich - "Iraq is not a mess, this math is all a product of
> Liberal Bias!"
> Heather - "I'm going back to sleep, wake me when the war is over."

the rest days are painful but good for you. giving up something you like
makes getting it back even more enjoyable. i found this out for myself
when i would go solo backpacking- i would come back home, eat real food,
take a hot shower and hang out in bed and nothing has *ever* felt as
good as that, even though i do that stuff almost every single day
normally and don't really enjoy it at all.

ok, rest days also tend to make me ramble when i'm not asleep,

"h squared" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> the rest days are painful but good for you. giving up something you like
> makes getting it back even more enjoyable. i found this out for myself
> when i would go solo backpacking- i would come back home, eat real food,
> take a hot shower and hang out in bed and nothing has *ever* felt as
> good as that, even though i do that stuff almost every single day
> normally and don't really enjoy it at all.

Suffering makes you appreciate the normal things in life. The best hot
chocolate and pancakes (and even the conversation was pretty interesting) I
ever had was after a race a couple of weeks ago in the freezing wind and
rain. 'course three days later I got sick, but it was still worth it.

Jeff

Jeff Jones wrote:
> "h squared" wrote:
>>
>> i found this out for
>> myself when i would go solo backpacking- i would come back home, eat
>> real food, take a hot shower and hang out in bed and nothing has
>> *ever* felt as good as that, even though i do that stuff almost every
>> single day normally and don't really enjoy it at all.
>>

> Suffering makes you appreciate the normal things in life. The best hot
> chocolate and pancakes (and even the conversation was pretty
> interesting) I ever had was after a race a couple of weeks ago in the
> freezing wind and rain. 'course three days later I got sick, but it was
> still worth it.

I am supremely happy in my second marriage.

Jeff Jones wrote:
> "h squared" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>>the rest days are painful but good for you. giving up something you like
>>makes getting it back even more enjoyable. i found this out for myself
>>when i would go solo backpacking- i would come back home, eat real food,
>>take a hot shower and hang out in bed and nothing has *ever* felt as
>>good as that, even though i do that stuff almost every single day
>>normally and don't really enjoy it at all.
>>

> Suffering makes you appreciate the normal things in life. The best hot
> chocolate and pancakes (and even the conversation was pretty interesting) I
> ever had was after a race a couple of weeks ago in the freezing wind and
> rain. 'course three days later I got sick, but it was still worth it.

I remember a cold, blustery day strolling past the windmills in Brugge.
The sky was changing its mind between shades of grey and blue as I
trudged along the cobbles. After wandering a ways (and finding the
packet of nuts I bought in a small shop were stale) hunger pangs set in
and I took notice of a sign-board on a corner, by a quaint little inn.
'Apfel Taart' looked inviting and I stepped in out of the cold, shaking
of the bits of snow that had gathered in my hair and on my scarf. I was
seated and inquired about the 'Taart', "Yes, anything else?" What do
you have on tap, anything good to go with it? Three belgians at the
small bar turned as one and laughed, "Blanche, you'll find nothing
better, it goes with everything." It was tryly heaven. A hot slice of
apple pie and a frosty mug of belgian white to wash it down with. It
was over ten years ago and I still remember it well.

Richard Adams wrote:
> The worst thing about grand tours is rest days.
> I'm going through withdawal! I need my fix!
> Dan Connelly - "Looka these here charts on depression and caloric
> intake." Robert Chung - "Yes, but if you reverse the axis and take the
> third derivative of the plot curve..." Steven Bornfeld - "Wowee!" Benjo
> Maso - "This reminds me of speed fluxuations in kermesses in the early
> 20th century." Tom Kunich - "Iraq is not a mess, this math is all a
> product of Liberal Bias!" Heather - "I'm going back to sleep, wake me
> when the war is over."

I don't know about that. Watching the grand tours is like homework. If
you miss a stage, you have to go watch that one before you can watch the
new one. I'm 8 stages behind on the Giro and have given up. I actually
have to RIDE MY BIKE instead of watching others doing it. I suppose if I
took a rest day once in a while...

If you're bored with the Giro, here, read this. Quick, before the live
coverage starts!!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ztdv

--

pedalchick <[email protected]> wrote:
> Richard Adams wrote:
> > The worst thing about grand tours is rest days.
> > I'm going through withdawal! I need my fix!
> > Dan Connelly - "Looka these here charts on depression and caloric
> > intake." Robert Chung - "Yes, but if you reverse the axis and take the
> > third derivative of the plot curve..." Steven Bornfeld - "Wowee!" Benjo
> > Maso - "This reminds me of speed fluxuations in kermesses in the early
> > 20th century." Tom Kunich - "Iraq is not a mess, this math is all a
> > product of Liberal Bias!" Heather - "I'm going back to sleep, wake me
> > when the war is over."

> I don't know about that. Watching the grand tours is like homework. If
> you miss a stage, you have to go watch that one before you can watch the
> new one. I'm 8 stages behind on the Giro and have given up. I actually
> have to RIDE MY BIKE instead of watching others doing it. I suppose if I
> took a rest day once in a while...

> If you're bored with the Giro, here, read this. Quick, before the live
> coverage starts!!!

> http://tinyurl.com/2ztdv

Ahhhh, the good old daze...

Richard Adams <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I remember a cold, blustery day strolling past the windmills in Brugge.

-plenty of snipping-

> 'Apfel Taart' looked inviting and I stepped in out of the cold, shaking

So you were in Brugge, but decided to have apple pie in Germany?

triumvir wrote:

> Richard Adams <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>I remember a cold, blustery day strolling past the windmills in Brugge.

> -plenty of snipping-
>

>>'Apfel Taart' looked inviting and I stepped in out of the cold, shaking

> So you were in Brugge, but decided to have apple pie in Germany?

His story dates back to 1942.

[email protected] (triumvir) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Richard Adams <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > I remember a cold, blustery day strolling past the windmills in Brugge.

> -plenty of snipping-
>
> > 'Apfel Taart' looked inviting and I stepped in out of the cold, shaking

> So you were in Brugge, but decided to have apple pie in Germany?

The spelling looked more dutch than I'd expect, but this is what they
had chalked on their sign outside the door. I'm not adept auf
Deutsche, but it didn't take much schooling to figure Apfel Taart was
something like what we locally call an Apple Turnover. (Tho I did
make a much worse translation error in Marseilles regarding the
content of a sandwich once.) Who knows what kind of clientel they're
trying to attract in Brugge during early January (actually an
excellent time to visit.)

pedalchick wrote:

> I don't know about that. Watching the grand tours is like homework. If
> you miss a stage, you have to go watch that one before you can watch the
> new one.

your standards for yourself are way too high! i've slept thru at least a
third of the giro so far but i still tune in, ignoring all the stuff
i've missed. phil and paul and bob lull me to sleep with their stories
every day. i'll miss them in a few weeks.

of course you don't *have* to watch :)
heather

[email protected] (Richard Adams) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (triumvir) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Richard Adams <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > > I remember a cold, blustery day strolling past the windmills in Brugge.

> > -plenty of snipping-
> >
> > > 'Apfel Taart' looked inviting and I stepped in out of the cold, shaking

> > So you were in Brugge, but decided to have apple pie in Germany?

> The spelling looked more dutch than I'd expect, but this is what they
> had chalked on their sign outside the door. I'm not adept auf
> Deutsche, but it didn't take much schooling to figure Apfel Taart was
> something like what we locally call an Apple Turnover. (Tho I did
> make a much worse translation error in Marseilles regarding the
> content of a sandwich once.) Who knows what kind of clientel they're
> trying to attract in Brugge during early January (actually an
> excellent time to visit.)

You're sure it wasn't just Appel Taart? Apfel is German. And taart,
yeah well, ****. Couldn't have been too hard to translate.

Clovis Lark <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> pedalchick <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Richard Adams wrote:
> > > The worst thing about grand tours is rest days.
> > > I'm going through withdawal! I need my fix!
> > > Dan Connelly - "Looka these here charts on depression and caloric
> > > intake." Robert Chung - "Yes, but if you reverse the axis and take the
> > > third derivative of the plot curve..." Steven Bornfeld - "Wowee!" Benjo
> > > Maso - "This reminds me of speed fluxuations in kermesses in the early
> > > 20th century." Tom Kunich - "Iraq is not a mess, this math is all a
> > > product of Liberal Bias!" Heather - "I'm going back to sleep, wake me
> > > when the war is over."

> > I don't know about that. Watching the grand tours is like homework. If
> > you miss a stage, you have to go watch that one before you can watch the
> > new one. I'm 8 stages behind on the Giro and have given up. I actually
> > have to RIDE MY BIKE instead of watching others doing it. I suppose if I
> > took a rest day once in a while...

> > If you're bored with the Giro, here, read this. Quick, before the live
> > coverage starts!!!

> > http://tinyurl.com/2ztdv

> Ahhhh, the good old daze...

It put me in mind of P. J. O'Rourke, back when he was writer/editor of
the National Lampoon and was a humorous writer (and the mag. was
actually funny.)

These days O'Rourke still writes (and has quite a few books in print)
though not quite as entertaining as he was in the late 70's.

Richard Adams <[email protected]> wrote:
> Clovis Lark <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> pedalchick <[email protected]> wrote:

>> > I don't know about that. Watching the grand tours is like homework. If
>> > you miss a stage, you have to go watch that one before you can watch the
>> > new one. I'm 8 stages behind on the Giro and have given up. I actually
>> > have to RIDE MY BIKE instead of watching others doing it. I suppose if I
>> > took a rest day once in a while...

>> > If you're bored with the Giro, here, read this. Quick, before the live
>> > coverage starts!!!

>> > http://tinyurl.com/2ztdv

>> Ahhhh, the good old daze...

> It put me in mind of P. J. O'Rourke, back when he was writer/editor of
> the National Lampoon and was a humorous writer (and the mag. was
> actually funny.)

> These days O'Rourke still writes (and has quite a few books in print)
> though not quite as entertaining as he was in the late 70's.

Especially given his Etruscan views...

Howard Kveck wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> pedalchick <[email protected]> wrote:
> >If you're bored with the Giro, here, read this. Quick, before the
> >livecoverage starts!!!
> > http://tinyurl.com/2ztdvhttp://tinyurl.com/2ztdv
> > --

> Ahhh, Dave Bailey. Nice.
> --
> tanx, Howard
> "Moby **** was a work of art, What the hell happened?"
> remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

And timely, too, since Jame Carney is indeed in Australia again,
awaiting the start of track worlds. He also does need everyone's love
and support because he's going to have to pull off a miracle to get on
the Olympic team at this point...

fingers crossed for JDASHME.

pedalchick <[email protected]> wrote:

> Howard Kveck wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > pedalchick <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >If you're bored with the Giro, here, read this. Quick, before the
> > >livecoverage starts!!!
> > > http://tinyurl.com/2ztdvhttp://tinyurl.com/2ztdv
> > > --

> > Ahhh, Dave Bailey. Nice.
> > --
> > tanx, Howard
> > "Moby **** was a work of art, What the hell happened?"
> > remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

> And timely, too, since Jame Carney is indeed in Australia again,awaiting the
> start of track worlds. He also does need everyone's loveand support because
> he's going to have to pull off a miracle to get onthe Olympic team at this
> point...fingers crossed for JDASHME.
> --

2004 hasn't exactly been a booming year for him, has it? I hope he does
well at Worlds.

I think Dave Bailey is hands down the funniest poster in the
intentionally humorous category.