The worst thing that hurts speed?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Jeff Potter, May 18, 2003.

  1. Jeff Potter

    Jeff Potter Guest

    ...Getting fatter.

    I mean, I can keep a decent base going and buff up my intervals and feel strong, but even on the
    flats and especially on the HEELS the GUT is what KEELS.

    So...I brewed up 10 new gallons of brew a couple days ago and toasted my new goal of losing 10
    pounds this summer.

    Weigh-in: 190. 180 here I come! Pilsner-assisted!

    If I nail 180, I'm going to go right on past and get 175. That's my heaviest for decent
    sportsmanship.

    --

    Jeff Potter [email protected] http://OutYourBackdoor.com -- a friendly ezine of modern
    folkways and culture revival...offering a line of alternative books and a world of bikes, boats,

    Tags:

  2. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    I used to think that, as much as I rode, I could eat anything I wanted (ala those stupid Mongoose
    commercials). So last August I see the doc and my cholesterol is 255. Unbelieveable. So I go on a
    major diet campaign focusing strictly on cholesterol. I'm not even thinking about weight, 'cuz I'm
    not thinking my weight's a problem. But by early October I've lost 12 pounds (and my cholesterol is
    down in the 190s). It was the best couple of months I've ever had on the bike. Right up until I got
    creamed by a teenager in a Saturn who ran over me while talking on her cell phone. Broken hip,
    ankle, pelvis and fractured spine (plus other assorted lacerations, road rash and such). So I spent
    November and December in rehab and I worked my ass off. Mostly I didn't want to regain the weight
    I'd lost. (I couldn't walk, but I was figuring out ways to do intense exercise programs in the
    recliner I was confined to for six weeks. I wasn't allowed to bear weight on my left leg, but I
    could lay on my back and spin circles with my legs -- so I did hours of that!) Got back on the bike
    in late January. Began training my ass off. Now I'm coming to the close of the best Spring I've ever
    had -- despite the horrible crash and rehab. People who didn't see me during the late Fall and
    Winter don't believe I ever had the bad accident. Those injuries could not offset the incredible
    benefits of losing a dozen pounds. The difference that's made has been remarkable!

    If you have weight to lose, LOSE IT!

    Bob C. "Jeff Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > ...Getting fatter.
    >
    > I mean, I can keep a decent base going and buff up my intervals and feel strong, but even on the
    > flats and especially on the HEELS the GUT is what KEELS.
    >
    > So...I brewed up 10 new gallons of brew a couple days ago and toasted my new goal of losing 10
    > pounds this summer.
    >
    > Weigh-in: 190. 180 here I come! Pilsner-assisted!
    >
    > If I nail 180, I'm going to go right on past and get 175. That's my heaviest for decent
    > sportsmanship.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Jeff Potter [email protected] http://OutYourBackdoor.com -- a friendly ezine of modern
    > folkways and culture revival...offering a line of alternative books and a world of bikes, boats,
    > skis...plus shops for great sleeper books, videos and music ...plus nationwide "Off the Beaten
    > Path" travel forums for local fun, bumperstickers and a new social magnet stickers! ...Holy
    > Smokes!!!

  3. Jeff Potter

    Jeff Potter Guest

    Wow, that's an AMAZING comeback story. Congrats!

    Say, did your doc ever tell you your good/bad cholesterol ratio? I've heard this is the most impt
    thing. But maybe the outright numbers are still very impt?

    --

    Jeff Potter [email protected] http://OutYourBackdoor.com -- a friendly ezine of modern
    folkways and culture revival...offering a line of alternative books and a world of bikes, boats,
    skis...plus shops for great sleeper books, videos and music ...plus nationwide "Off the Beaten Path"
    travel forums for local fun, bumperstickers and a new social magnet stickers! ...Holy Smokes!!!

  4. Yes, any endurance athlete who trains a significant amount should make their doctors aware of this
    fact. I was just speaking with a doctor in Boulder the other day about this and she said that they
    added a new explanation to their blood test results because so many people (this is in Boulder, the
    workout freak capital of the world) were getting "high" cholesterol counts by the numbers, but
    actually were great because their HDL/LDL ratios are so high. HDL is good, LDL bad.

    So, if they tell you have high cholesterol, make sure that you make them explain this and check
    out your HDL/LDL ratios.

    -Nathan

    "Jeff Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Wow, that's an AMAZING comeback story. Congrats!
    >
    > Say, did your doc ever tell you your good/bad cholesterol ratio? I've
    heard
    > this is the most impt thing. But maybe the outright numbers are still very impt?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Jeff Potter [email protected] http://OutYourBackdoor.com -- a friendly ezine of modern
    > folkways and culture revival...offering a line of alternative books and a world of bikes, boats,
    > skis...plus shops for great sleeper books, videos and music ...plus nationwide "Off the Beaten
    > Path" travel forums for local fun, bumperstickers and a new social magnet stickers! ...Holy
    > Smokes!!!

  5. psycolist-<< fractured spine (plus other assorted lacerations, road rash and such). So I spent
    November and December in rehab.

    << Got back on the bike in late January.

    Back on the bike in three months after breaking your back is very cool. I am just now getting back
    on the bike after getting hit last July, broke L1, L3...

    Coming back very slowly, PT is helping a lot but very slow...

  6. Jeff Potter

    Jeff Potter Guest

    This injury stuff is terrible. Knock on carbon!

    My experience with rehab is to go twice as hard as they tell you for twice as long, twice as often.
    Even a superior recovery with superior range of motion for THEM is going to be BAD for you. If you
    do sports, you need to make yourself hurt throughout rehab to regain YOUR previous range of motion.
    Don't settle for less! You have a very brief window of opportunity after a cast comes off (or you
    get go-ahead to rehab) to regain what you lost. Otherwise a permanent loss sets
    in...after about a month. Push your PT staffers! Obviously, don't rebreak or reinjure yourself but
    make sure you go right up to that point!!!! It should be very painful, scary, sweaty, very hard
    work for you. Also, remember that this will commonly include other joints that have been immobile
    or unused during recovery. You can just as easily lose those permanently as your injured place.
    Go to it! And best wishes.

    --

    Jeff Potter [email protected] http://OutYourBackdoor.com -- a friendly ezine of modern
    folkways and culture revival...offering a line of alternative books and a world of bikes, boats,
    skis...plus shops for great sleeper books, videos and music ...plus nationwide "Off the Beaten Path"
    travel forums for local fun, bumperstickers and a new social magnet stickers! ...Holy Smokes!!!

  7. Sknyski

    Sknyski Guest

    Be careful....that weight loss may be good for your self image, but try getting those 210cm stiffs
    down on the snow after you've dropped a few pounds...I'm a little over 87 right now and will be
    happy to go into the season at 85 or a little under - so I don't have to buy new boards next year!

    bt

  8. I know that over the long haul I may be in trouble with this. I get head nods and shoulder shrugs
    from cardiologists. My HDLs run in low/mid 20's. My LDLs are ok. Ratio is horrible. Now the docs say
    diet can't raise HDLs. (Believe me, I eat boatloads of herring and other fatty cold water fish.)
    Only exercise can raise HDLs. Diet impacts LDLs, and some nasty (IMHO) drugs can lower it and
    improve ratio. My mother had a HDL value of 16 once. Maybe a mistake, but I must get those genes
    from her. She's never seen 25 HDL value. At age 30 a cardiologist told me that in order to live I
    have to keep doing endurance exercise. So there, now everyone knows why I am the LSD king.

    BTW I think that it is becoming well accepted that cholesterol is just a part of the
    diagnostic/pathologic picture. Homosystine and a newer marker, C reactive protein, may prove to
    tell the entire story, Thankfully my homosystine value indicated no arterial inflammation of
    plaque. Please excuse this pseudo-medicine and spelling. I trust others really know what I am
    trying to say. Basically there seems to be new and soon to be accepted tests for blood indicators
    of cardiovascular health.

    And in the end most research indicates that being aerobically fit is the most important indicator
    for a life without cardiovascular disease caused by behavior.

    Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY

    "Nathan Schultz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Yes, any endurance athlete who trains a significant amount should make their doctors aware of
    > this fact. I was just speaking with a doctor in Boulder the other day about this and she said
    > that they added a new explanation to their blood test results because so many people (this is
    > in Boulder, the workout freak capital of the world) were getting "high" cholesterol counts by
    > the numbers, but actually were great because their HDL/LDL ratios are so high. HDL is good,
    > LDL bad.
    >
    > So, if they tell you have high cholesterol, make sure that you make
    them
    > explain this and check out your HDL/LDL ratios.
    >
    > -Nathan
    >
    > "Jeff Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Wow, that's an AMAZING comeback story. Congrats!
    > >
    > > Say, did your doc ever tell you your good/bad cholesterol ratio? I've
    > heard
    > > this is the most impt thing. But maybe the outright numbers are still
    very
    > > impt?
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Jeff Potter [email protected] http://OutYourBackdoor.com -- a friendly ezine of
    > > modern folkways and culture revival...offering a line of alternative books and a world of bikes,
    > > boats, skis...plus shops for great sleeper books, videos and
    music
    > > ...plus nationwide "Off the Beaten Path" travel forums for local fun, bumperstickers and a new
    > > social magnet stickers! ...Holy Smokes!!!

  9. Jay Tegeder

    Jay Tegeder Guest

    Gary,

    I'm just the opposite of you... I've got high LDL and high HDL. I'm trying to change the diet but
    high LDL runs in the family. I get the high HDL from the exercise. Last time I had the cholesterol
    checked, about a year ago, I test at 250. They tole me to fast and come back... I did and registered
    260. Then, they told me to come back two days later so they could check my lipids and something
    else. I tested
    272... My only risk factor is cholesterol and my HDL is high so that helps. I don't know about blood
    pressure now that the healthy zone limits have changed.

    Jay Tegeder "I faders spar for framtids segrar"

    "Gary Jacobson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
> [...]
    > >
    > > -Nathan
    > >
    > > "Jeff Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Wow, that's an AMAZING comeback story. Congrats!
    > > >
    > > > Say, did your doc ever tell you your good/bad cholesterol ratio? I've
    > heard
    > > > this is the most impt thing. But maybe the outright numbers are still
    > very
    > > > impt?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > >
    > > > Jeff Potter [email protected] http://OutYourBackdoor.com -- a friendly ezine of
    > > > modern folkways and culture revival...offering a line of alternative books and a world of
    > > > bikes, boats, skis...plus shops for great sleeper books, videos and
    > music
    > > > ...plus nationwide "Off the Beaten Path" travel forums for local fun, bumperstickers and a new
    > > > social magnet stickers! ...Holy Smokes!!!

  10. Bret Wade

    Bret Wade Guest

    Jeff Potter wrote:
    > This injury stuff is terrible. Knock on carbon!
    >
    > My experience with rehab is to go twice as hard as they tell you for twice as long, twice as
    > often. Even a superior recovery with superior range of motion for THEM is going to be BAD for you.
    > If you do sports, you need to make yourself hurt throughout rehab to regain YOUR previous range of
    > motion. Don't settle for less! You have a very brief window of opportunity after a cast comes off
    > (or you get go-ahead to rehab) to regain what you lost. Otherwise a permanent loss sets
    > in...after about a month. Push your PT staffers! Obviously, don't rebreak or reinjure yourself but
    > make sure you go right up to that point!!!! It should be very painful, scary, sweaty, very hard
    > work for you. Also, remember that this will commonly include other joints that have been
    > immobile or unused during recovery. You can just as easily lose those permanently as your
    > injured place. Go to it! And best wishes.

    Too bad Jeff's not so gung ho about his training. FWIW, I think this is bad advice. As someone who
    broke a hip recently, I did just fine by doing the regular PT exercises and riding a lot. If
    anything, they had me doing too much and I used my own judgment to back off. Any experienced athlete
    will know their body well enough to apply that sort of judgment.

    Bret

  11. Jeff Potter

    Jeff Potter Guest

    Actually, ski-fit is another incentive for my weightloss! I bought my skis when I was 170lbs and I
    prefer them soft! I'm 190 now. DOH! I was really squashing them this season. Totally washing out the
    skaters. 10" wax pocket on the kickers. If I can get back to 170, I'll have proper skis again! : )
    Everyone tells me I need to buy new skis. Bah! Old skis are fine...if you fit em! : )

    sknyski wrote:

    > Be careful....that weight loss may be good for your self image, but try getting those 210cm stiffs
    > down on the snow after you've dropped a few pounds...I'm a little over 87 right now and will be
    > happy to go into the season at 85 or a little under - so I don't have to buy new boards next year!

    --

    Jeff Potter
    ****
    *Out Your Backdoor * http://www.outyourbackdoor.com for modern folkways and culture revival...
    ...offering "small world" views on bikes, bows, skis, books, movies... ...new books featuring: XC
    ski culture, a thriller about small town drug smuggling, and folding bicycles ... radical novels
    coming up! ...lots more books, downloadable music and videos ... articles galore! plus national "Off
    the Beaten Path" travel forums! HOLY SMOKES!

  12. "Jeff Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Actually, ski-fit is another incentive for my weightloss! I bought my skis when I was 170lbs and I
    > prefer them soft! I'm 190 now. DOH!

    Dude.

    You're are almost certainly within a standard deviation of the mean weight in the Masters Fattie
    category. Go race with those Fatties in a race w/ a steep climb - you'll have better luck than in
    your Cat 5 race where you got dropped.

  13. Jay Tegeder wrote:
    > "I faders spar for framtids segrar"

    You need to do something about your keyboard ;) This is how your sigline is spelled "I fäders spår
    för framtids segrar"

    BTW did you do the Vasaloppet? For those that don't know, it's a 90 km historic Cross Country ski
    race in Sweden.

    --
    Perre

  14. Janne G

    Janne G Guest

    "Per Elmsäter" wrote:

    > Jay Tegeder wrote:
    > > "I faders spar for framtids segrar"
    > >
    > You need to do something about your keyboard ;) This is how your sigline is spelled "I fäders spår
    > för framtids segrar"
    >
    > BTW did you do the Vasaloppet? For those that don't know, it's a 90 km historic Cross Country ski
    > race in Sweden.

    Per, har inte du förirrat dig lite från swnet.sport.cykel gruppen nu? Eller tänker du åka
    skidor i vinter?

    --

    Forward in all directions

    Janne G

  15. Janne G wrote:
    > "Per Elmsäter" wrote:
    >>
    >> Jay Tegeder wrote:
    >>> "I faders spar for framtids segrar"
    >>>
    >> You need to do something about your keyboard ;) This is how your sigline is spelled "I fäders
    >> spår för framtids segrar"
    >>
    >> BTW did you do the Vasaloppet? For those that don't know, it's a 90 km historic Cross Country ski
    >> race in Sweden.
    >
    > Per, har inte du förirrat dig lite från swnet.sport.cykel gruppen nu? Eller tänker du åka skidor
    > i vinter?

    Bara om jag fixar Vansbrosimmet först ;)

    Sorry about the foreign interlude here. Nothing important was said and nobody was flamed ;)

    --
    Perre