The year of Hincapie, wins again

bobke

Oct 3, 2004
George just won GP Ouest against a very competetive field.
Gets my vote for Best American Rider of Year!!!!!

Hincapie is a fantastic rider. Nice to see him out of the gigantic shadow of Lance. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge LA fan, but I admire George and he is my pick for the overall winner of the TDF:cool: next year.

He also won the 62nd Criterium of Quillan the day after San Seb , but the cycling media didnt bother commenting on that :mad: He beat Hushovd into 2nd by a county mile - parents tell me he was a thoroughly decent chap and stood around for absolute ages signing autographs afterwards till everyone was happy.

hombredesubaru said:
I love the part where the French fans booed him after he won, real class!
The French haven’t had a rider of Hincapie’s class since Jalabert and they never like him, they favored their precious dope fiend Virenque.

George is the man, what other rider can you name who can finish in the top three in Paris-Roubaix and win the queen mountain stage in the Tour?

Roadrash Dunc said:
He also won the 62nd Criterium of Quillan the day after San Seb , but the cycling media didnt bother commenting on that :mad: He beat Hushovd into 2nd by a county mile - parents tell me he was a thoroughly decent chap and stood around for absolute ages signing autographs afterwards till everyone was happy.
Isn't that a "post-tour" criterium?

If the wins the TDF next year, I wonder if the french will begin testing every sample he's ever provided so the media can beat on him as the do LA?:confused:

Espada9 said:
I love the part where the French fans booed him after he won, real class!
The French haven’t had a rider of Hincapie’s class since Jalabert and they never like him, they favored their precious dope fiend Virenque.

George is the man, what other rider can you name who can finish in the top three in Paris-Roubaix and win the queen mountain stage in the Tour?
You mean besides Eddy Merckx and Bernard Hinault?
he he :)

EXACTLY MY POINT TOO!!!
he is the man.
too bad about the boos, since George is married to a French woman and has said over and over how he loves her, her family, her country, never would have met her except because of the TourdFrance etc etc etc, and like Lance, Max v Heesjwick etc when things are happy at home things go well in races...

As to folks trying to separate out the media from the people, I have said many times that the regular folks in the street were great to me when I was there...in fact, riding toward the Col du Telegraphe my son had a weird tire shred thing on his bike and we were limping into a french town riding easy, and a bit lost when a father and son team on bikes came up, showed us how to get into town, gave us a spare tire from their bike club (since all the shops were closed) and wouldnt dream of letting us pay them. Truly wonderful folks.
But the boos and jeers show how media not only inform but influence their audience...
I dont recall any of Rafael Palmeiro's team getting booed, or him for that matter...

hombredesubaru said:
I am a big Hincapie fan, but you pose a tough one, given what Julich has done this year.

BTW, do you think this is George's biggest win ever? Given the Pro Tour, the field was probably more competitive than Gent-Wevelgem, and his TdF win I lower in value a bit because a substantial part of the peloton was not riding to win the day but rather the 3 weeks. (Similar argument for the Dauphine.) Or does the luster of the Tour override that consideration?

holli said:
Isn't that a "post-tour" criterium?

Do you think we should tell Roadrash Dunc what really happens in post-Tour criteriums? I'm worried if he'll cry when we shatter his dreams.
:D

El Loto said:
Do you think we should tell Roadrash Dunc what really happens in post-Tour criteriums? I'm worried if he'll cry when we shatter his dreams.
:D
Well it wasnt fixed last year! Well the 1-2 was , but 1st didnt seem to be decided given the manner and margin of victory :D had the time keepers a bit worried.
Dont worry lad, im a big boy , i didnt even cry when i realised there was no Santa :p (i trust i havent upset you there?! ;) )

Climbontario said:
If the wins the TDF next year, I wonder if the french will begin testing every sample he's ever provided so the media can beat on him as the do LA?:confused:
If he wins the Tour? Come back down to the real world, my friend. Wins the tour... :rolleyes:

Roadrash Dunc said:
Well it wasnt fixed last year! Well the 1-2 was , but 1st didnt seem to be decided given the manner and margin of victory :D had the time keepers a bit worried.
Dont worry lad, im a big boy , i didnt even cry when i realised there was no Santa :p (i trust i havent upset you there?! ;) )

No I figured it out for myself. Tooth Fairy as well. Fun while they last though.