Them solid tyres

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by MartinM, Apr 19, 2006.

  1. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    I am about to take an angle grinder to my folding bike (3rd puncture on
    the way to work in as many weeks) but before I do, and also before I
    have to once again dismantle the entire hub brake assembly to get the
    back wheel out, are there still such a thing as those solid tyres?
    (I know they used to be utter crap). It needs a narrowish 20" er.

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    MartinM wrote:

    > are there still such a thing as those solid tyres?
    > (I know they used to be utter crap). It needs a narrowish 20" er.

    Don't know, but Marathon Plus should be available in 20" IIRC.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  3. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

  4. POHB

    POHB Guest

    Let's hear it for Marathon Plus! They're rock.

  5. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    MartinM wrote:

    >spindrift wrote:
    >> Try Schwalbe Marathon Plus:
    >>
    >> http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b6s142p31

    >thanks; but too wide; I need ones which are City Jet sized.

    How wide is a city jet? Marathon plus for 20" is 47-406 but plain
    Marathons can be got at 40-406 and Marathon Slicks at 35-406.

  6. davek

    davek Guest

    POHB wrote:
    > They're rock.

    Surely they're not /that/ heavy? ;-)

    I've got Marathons on the Brompton - mainly because, like Martin, I've
    got no idea how I would go about removing the back wheel in the event
    of needing to repair a p+nct+re. Just ornery Marathons, though, not the
    Plus version.

    d.

  7. spindrift wrote:
    > Try Schwalbe Marathon Plus:
    >
    > http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b6s142p31

    Definitely.
    But if you want to do it cheaper then I like slime or equivalent goo.
    To put it in my current favourite is to make a stab in the tube rather
    than try the valve.
    TerryJ

  8. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    davek wrote:

    > I've got Marathons on the Brompton - mainly because, like Martin, I've
    > got no idea how I would go about removing the back wheel in the event
    > of needing to repair a p+nct+re.

    It's not actually /that/ hard once you have unclipped the toggle chain
    from the hub. I have Marathons on mine and find them v. goof too, but
    if changing to them you'll have to take the back off to put one on in
    the first place...

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  9. In article <[email protected]>, davek
    ([email protected]) wrote:
    > POHB wrote:
    > > They're rock.

    > Surely they're not /that/ heavy? ;-)

    Nice and solid...

    > I've got Marathons on the Brompton - mainly because, like Martin, I've
    > got no idea how I would go about removing the back wheel in the event
    > of needing to repair a p+nct+re. Just ornery Marathons, though, not the
    > Plus version.

    I've got Marathon Slicks on the trike. Current set have "only" had one
    visit from the P+nct+r+ Fairy in ~1800 km, a fact possibly not
    unconnected with Sliming the inner tubes after the Watership Down.

    You can't have ham!

  10. Tosspot

    Tosspot Guest

    MartinM wrote:
    > I am about to take an angle grinder to my folding bike (3rd puncture on
    > the way to work in as many weeks) but before I do, and also before I
    > have to once again dismantle the entire hub brake assembly to get the
    > back wheel out, are there still such a thing as those solid tyres?
    > (I know they used to be utter crap). It needs a narrowish 20" er.

    Has anyone mentioned Marathon Plus' yet?

    Funny enough I didnt realise the Marathon Kevlar was available in 20".
    Bear that in mind soon.

  11. >>> Try Schwalbe Marathon Plus:

    >>> http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b6s142p31

    >>thanks; but too wide; I need ones which are City Jet sized.

    >How wide is a city jet? Marathon plus for 20" is 47-406 but plain
    >Marathons can be got at 40-406 and Marathon Slicks at 35-406.

    Dutch Perfects come in 37-406 http://www.dutch-perfect.nl/frm-gb.asp.
    Marathon Slicks are, in my experience, nowhere near as puncture resistent as
    normal Marathons.
    http://www.airfreetires.com/ have a solid 37-406. Sadly the seemingly much
    quicker 32-406 is out of stock at the moment.
    Or use a thornproof liner between inner and outer tire. The Proline Antiplatt
    liner on my trike has kept all punctures at bay for 2 years now.

    Mark van Gorkom.

  12. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    thanks for all the replies about Solid tyres ;-)

    Marathons it is (mudguards permitting)

  13. bookieb

    bookieb Guest

    davek wrote:
    > POHB wrote:
    > > They're rock.

    <snip>
    > like Martin, I've
    > got no idea how I would go about removing the back wheel in the event
    > of needing to repair a p+nct+re.

    <snip>
    > d.

    There are (or were) a species of inner tube available which were not
    circular (torus) shaped as normal, but straight (more like a literal
    "tube" with sealed ends).
    Picture a normal tube, cut clean through a a point opposite the valve,
    then the open ends sealed. It was a bit longer than the equivalent
    normal tube, so the end sealed ends overlapped a bit when fitted inside
    a tyre.

    The theory was that if you punctured, you could remove the old tube
    (cutting it away if necessary), and put in this replacement without
    removing the wheel from the bike.

    I know, I know. This smacks of advising you on the best place to buy
    crutches, rather than suggesting you get boots with steel toe caps.
    Nonetheless, if still available, it might be a handy addition for the
    bottom of the bag for those without QRs and those extra special cold
    dark rainy nights when the F***y comes out to play.

    I believe I saw them for sale on eBay at one time.

    Regards,

    bookieb

  14. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    bookieb wrote:
    > There are (or were) a species of inner tube available which were not
    > circular (torus) shaped as normal, but straight (more like a literal
    > "tube" with sealed ends).
    > Picture a normal tube, cut clean through a a point opposite the valve,
    > then the open ends sealed. It was a bit longer than the equivalent
    > normal tube, so the end sealed ends overlapped a bit when fitted inside
    > a tyre.
    >
    > The theory was that if you punctured, you could remove the old tube
    > (cutting it away if necessary), and put in this replacement without
    > removing the wheel from the bike.
    >
    > I know, I know. This smacks of advising you on the best place to buy
    > crutches, rather than suggesting you get boots with steel toe caps.
    > Nonetheless, if still available, it might be a handy addition for the
    > bottom of the bag for those without QRs and those extra special cold
    > dark rainy nights when the F***y comes out to play.
    >
    > I believe I saw them for sale on eBay at one time.

    I believe you still can. I believe I bought some only last week. They
    come in a box with Halfords branding - they were £6.99 when new in
    Halfords a few years ago (which goes some way to explain why they're now
    on eBay I suppose). I use them on the back wheel of my fixie, which
    saves me taking a 15mm spanner with me. I also keep one as my barbag
    spare, as it'll fit almost every one of my bikes.

    It works as a slight improvement on my previous easy repair idea, which
    was to drill a second hole in the rim and fit two inner tubes.

    JimP

    --
    Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to
    grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after

  15. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    My City jets are 1.25", 1.75 is not going to fit inside the mudguards.
    To add insult to injury the lidl clamp that holds the frame together
    when not folded has just bust , new one on order; riding round Hyde
    Park Corner on the remaining one was scary. off for 2 weeks after
    tomorrow; if it hasn't arrived by then I may resort to other means.
    It's all Southern Railway's fault.

  16. In article <[email protected]>,
    ([email protected]) wrote:
    > spindrift wrote:
    > > Try Schwalbe Marathon Plus:
    > >
    > > http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b6s142p31

    > Definitely.
    > But if you want to do it cheaper then I like slime or equivalent goo.
    > To put it in my current favourite is to make a stab in the tube rather
    > than try the valve.

    May I commend to Sir Schwalbe inner tubes, from which the core may be
    unscrewed, thereby allowing Slime to be injected freely into the tube?

    Whatever it is, I'd like it in mango & passion fruit, please.